1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Try using them without MDM. I can't even put it into words. :lol: It's just a nightmare.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A+, great troll attempt, will read again.

:)

Depends on your use case. MacOSX for me is a "user friendly UNIX", and as such that's insanely powerful.

I work in an industry full of apps from literally hundreds of different vendors that have all chosen to support Python and POSIX environment variables. When you're dealing with thousands of directories inside hundreds of parallel projects, specifying $JOB/$SHOT as your working path and passing it between apps (both GUI and CLI tools) from different vendors makes a mind-blowingly complex task suddenly so simple. Even better, I can write one script, and it executes on a wide variety of operating systems (MacOSX and a bunch of Linux distros, in our case). This is just one example. If you sat in our workflow for a week of full-steam production, you'd see instantly why we choose POSIX-compliant operating systems exclusively.

Windows in this case is the odd man out, as we are forced to remove it from our workflow.

Now, I understand that this isn't the workflow of the average Windows/Office user, and that the average Windows/Office user outnumbers the average high end 3D artist by many orders of magnitude, but these are the points that put MacOSX and Linux on our production floor, and the same reasons that removed Windows.

I've often fantasised about a UNIX system written by Microsoft (acknowledging that Xenix once existed). If simple things like BASH, envars and POSIX compliance worked on Windows, it would be exponentially better for our workflows (and no, Cygwin doesn't cut it - we've invested a lot of time and money in attempting to make that happen, and it isn't good enough).

But I honestly believe that it will remain a fantasy for many years to come, and the WinNT core is here to stay for some time yet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Don't me wrong, I love to bash Linux :lol:

J/K.

Linux is hit and miss though. It does some stuff brilliantly (ubuntu, red hat, android) and other releases drop the ball big time.

4. elvis

As above, it depends on your use case.

If your world is Windows/Office/Sharepoint, then yeah Linux is going to miss the mark for you.

I'd like to think I'm fortunate that, save a few years of university and the mountain of assignments I wrote back then, the Office-centric world is one I've largely avoided in my career. These days I use Google Docs exclusively, which should illustrate to anyone the level of complexity I require from an office package (i.e.: bugger all).

Linux is *fast*. Much faster than Windows for things like IO and hardware accellerated 3D. Valve are finding that constantly (demonstrating much higher performance in Linux than Windows for everything from standard 3D gaming to video capture while running fullscreen 3D apps). But speed isn't everything, and if the user experience is crap, the ~10% performance hit of Windows might well be a worthwhile sacrifice for people to stay on Windows.

I find the one big mistake people make about Linux is that they assume *all* Linux distros are worthwhile of their time. What anyone who dips their toes into the Linux waters needs to realise is that you're being exposed to every level of development. That's what makes open source *OPEN*. Distro-hopping, looking at nerd blogs and mailing lists, seeing developers talk out in the open about compiling code, etc - all of this is intimidating to non-technical users. What folks forget is that this does happen in the Windows world, but it happens behind closed doors.

If you want to be involved with Linux, pick your platforms. You've mentioned three excellent ones above. And I'll be frank: even as someone as who has nearly two decades of Linux experience, I still rarely venture outside of the Ubuntu/RedHat/Android world. Why? Because I'm just too damned busy to deal with the rest of it. My life is about supporting production systems on expensive projects, and those three names are the only three I trust. Does that mean I think the rest of the Linux ecosystem is a failure? No. I merely recognise that it's the focus of the very clever people who develop the code that eventually makes it in to the tools I use on my production systems. And to be honest, it's nice to see it out in the open. I have the option of occasionally poking my nose in and seeing how things are being developed.

For example, I run a large clustered file system in production. Unlike any other vendor, (a) I paid a grand total of $0 for this, and (b) I get to talk directly to the developers of this system, sit on their public mailing list, and watch their public bug tracker. This makes my life as a sysadmin incredibly cool, because I can see fixes and upcoming features long in advance, which allows me to plan upgrades and patches long before I would in a proprietary world.

So again, it depends on who you are and what you do. I don't consider Linux on the whole as having "dropped the ball". I just think people need to learn how to filter out developer nerdy talk from production-ready systems talk if their focus is only the latter.

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I doubt they give you feedback individually, it probably just goes into the cloud of suggestions they take on board.

6. elvis

Which raises the obvious questions:

Did the majority of beta testers say "Yeah, this Metro thing is awesome!" ?

And if they did, are they truly representative of the "average Windows user" who feels the opposite? (Do Microsoft need better test groups?).

Or if they didn't and actually objected to it, did Microsoft (or just Sinofsky) simply ignore the feedback?

7. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I am not talking about the folks in the limited public beta, but their normal acolyte testers.

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I don't really know how people can enjoy using OSX... It requires lots of additional software to make it functional.

I've been using OSX solid for 2 weeks now at home. (I've used OSX on and off for years, there's a lot of things its rubbish at, i.e Video Editing on Final Cut is terrible compared to Avid)

Attention to detail...

1) Command Tab only tabs programs, not instances of programs... You have to use a separate command to tab instances... Fixed using Witch...

2) I rarely use the dock, but when I do I like to use it on the screen I'm looking at... It cannot be shown on both monitors at once (in mavericks) there's no fix for this.

3) Spotlight is absolutely terrible compared to Windows 8 Search... Alfred 2 on the other hand... I wish that was on Windows... Absolutely amazing. Love it!

4) Want to maximize a window??? Nope. Right Zoom... Bam fixed, because apparently no one uses a maximized window on OSX, ever...

5) "spaces" is the WORST implementation of multiple desktops ever, its so horrifically shit its not funny. Linux still kills everything, but atleast 3rd party solutions on Windows work better than OSX Spaces...

But we digress.

Node/npm/bower - this stuff is a billion times more productive than on Windows.

9. millsy

millsy Member

This is going way off track now, but OSX I feel is the best at window management. You have command tab, and command tilde, where command tilde switches window instances :)

10. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Control-Tab does same thing in windows.

11. Rezin

Rezin Member

It's disappointing that you let Chilled's hypothetical answer, to your genuine question, lead you into the quoted line of questioning.

12. elvis

Once you use Linux meta+right/middle click to manage application windows, neither OSX or Windows ever feel good enough again.

13. R3ZiN8

R3ZiN8 Member

Windows 8 has this functionality with the Touch Mouse. It really does change the game in terms of window management.

14. elvis

Hallelujah!

It's ironic that Windows' window management has always been lacking for me. That sort of extra functionality is what I've wanted for a *very* long time.

15. power

power Member

how is this implemented without an extra peripheral?

16. millsy

millsy Member

Only for programs with tabbing, it doesn't do that in explorer for example. OSX does it for any program with multiple windows, unless this changed in win8.

17. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

It's a skin for OCAU :thumbup:

Edit - sorry, I am 8 pages behind - just like Windows.

18. power

power Member

budum tish

19. R3ZiN8

R3ZiN8 Member

Its pretty ironic you have to buy a 1st party peripheral for it to work as well :lol: and its not as good as the linux way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVsFcKd6NjU#t=93

Its not to my knowledge, it specifically requires the Touch mouse and the MS Mouse software.

20. power

power Member

awesome, so I'm supposed to buy a special mouse AND a touch screen - there are not enough rollseyes for that.