1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Simplifier Script

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by metamorphosis, Jun 19, 2019.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

A few recommendations.
    - support for disabling OneDrive
    - support for disabling Cortana
    - remove those silly folders from This PC - this is an easy registry fix
    - replace the Windows 10 calc with Windows XP 64bit calc - just copy the old Windows XP64bit calc in, set the ms-calculator thingy in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to open with the old calc. The old calc should be run as admin once to save its settings such as starting in scientific mode.
    - bring back Windows 7 photo viewer - this is an easy reg hack

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel Member

Why the hell is the Windows 10 'Photos' app so flaky? I've seen it fail to print (regularly), fail to show image content (regularly), crash, lock, and occasionally cause BSODs. I've had to manually set up and install the reg fix for the old image viewer on several business networks because they couldn't print to their photocopiers from the Windows 10 app. I completely understand the challenges with any new application, but Microsoft have had *five years* to fix the problems with this and it's still an unreliable PITA.

wwwww likes this.
  3. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel Member

metamorphosis just intrigued, are you disabling Windows Search regularly? I find it genuinely useful and use it pretty constantly, I use it to launch just about everything that isn't pinned on the taskbar (which is about 70% of application launches on my own systems, probably 95% on client computers). I'm not really sure why someone would advocate for its removal?

151528 likes this.
  4. wwwww

wwwww Member

When I want to launch applications I want it to be predictable so I usually launch with a command line (windows+r chrome, or windows+r winword, etc). Windows Search is not predictable which means I have to look at the suggestions before proceeding slowing me down. Sometimes you type Chrome in, and it launches Bing. I don't need that.

What about the new Calc? The calc gets worse and worse.
    Window XP scientific calc can do it all.
    Windows 7 they made it so you can't do scientific calcuations in non-base10
    Windows 10 they made it unresponsive. It's slow to launch, you need to wait for it to appear before typing. It loses focus from the number field. It takes an enormous amount of desktop space.

Mspaint gets worse and worse too.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  5. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Yea, fuck windows search. Start typing control for control panel, and the first result is "SETTINGS"

All the windows 10 "apps" and shit all are massive screen real estate hoggers. Why does "Settings" take up nearly an entire 1080p screen? SO MUCH WHITESPACE.

I wish you could do a shell swap, put windows 7 explorer into windows 10.

Or even better, windows 2000. Pixel perfect, slimline, economic. soooo soooo fast.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. unixyk

unixyk Member

This is very good.

7. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Win7 photo viewer is already present and already listed in the features-
    I don't use calc enough to want to hack-include a binary in the script. But agree the new calc is just... awful. I'll look into it.
    Uninstalling Onedrive optionally is a good suggestion - might look into that.
    Regarding Cortana I rely on win10_debloater to do that for me - no point replicating functionality.
    Regards 'silly folders' - do you mean Music, Pictures etc? I'll leave that in there, most of my users use those. Currently the script turns off Quick Access only.

Hey, I suppose they're working on getting windows updates working, or actually having a centralised control panel, or something. Give them 50 years.

If you install openshell, that gives you a much faster program search - and it's limited to your programs, as well. As for document searching, that's what agent ransack is for - and it does a far better job, in less time.
    Windows Search is problematic because of the amount of disk churn it creates - and the inconclusive search results for documents - and in terms of preventing devices from disconnecting from the computer, because windows search won't let them - which is purely a fault of the MS technical engineers, but a fault nonetheless.
    The only computers I leave it on for are those using Outlook, because Outlook uses Windows Search to search it's emails - which is why half the time it just doesn't work.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    MUTMAN and wwwww like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

- New script installs old calc by https://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/ if installer included in folder and renamed as per instructions
    - Whitelist included for win10_debloater - stops camera app from being removed, removes Xbox stuff
    - Custom .csv for blackviper services disabler included - stops script from disabling wifi on desktop computers
    - 3D object folder removed from explorer (seriously what was that I have no idea, never seen anyone use it, bizarro)
    - Onedrive uninstall option added
    - Correction to cab/zip folder disabling
    - Rearranged items in script so defrag occurs at appropriate place

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Disabled:
    * 'Shake window to minimize' feature
    * Edge desktop shortcut on new user accounts
    * System tray security icon (optional: only when defender is disabled)

Added:
    * Windows explorer opens to This PC by default

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

So doing this to Win 10 is kind of similar to this? https://ameliorated.info/
    I'm struggling to want to move to 10 from 7.

11. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

It's not like that. That ISO's focus is on telemetry. My script is focussed on simplifying Win10 on new or existing installations. You can include ShutUp10 or Win10_debloater which focus on telemetry.
    Not sure what you mean by moving from 10 to 7 BTW. It's still 10.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

You can disable a lot of others things in it.

I meant I'm struggling to go to 10 from 7. More I use it at work, the more I hate it. Plus the constant updating is annoying, reminds me of Firefox.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's no way to avoid security patching if you want to be on the Internet. Not doing so is technology suicide.

14. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yeah agreed - I actually still use firefox, but every update I like it less and less. It keeps on Congratulating me for updating, for starters... which is the dumbest move a web browser - or any program - can make. Seems pointless and condescending to expert users, confusing and distracting to novices. If they want to make people switch to Chrome, they're doing that right.

With my script I've managed to get Win10 in a manageable state - which is not to say that I like it - but that it's tolerable. I still use Win7 on two of my machines for audio work, and prefer that.

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Have you tried Windows LTSC?

16. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Not much difference from doing what I do + debloating TBH.

17. power

power Member

much better base to build off of.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Helping computer novices understand security patching is critical would stop 25% of malware dead in its tracks.

Education is critical in a permanently connected world, and positive reinforcement like that is vital. The 0.5 seconds of annoyance for a handful of angry people is worth it. As an "expert user", I'm completely unphased by Firefox's upgrade messages.

19. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Updated script for situations where system drive is not c:
    Added enabling of Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home
    Moved oldcalc installation and tdsskiller running to beginning of script before long processes
    Overall tidying
    Added support for installing Windows 7 version of games because so many people play original solataire.