1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Tablet as Print server

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by nakey, Jul 28, 2016.

1. nakey

nakey Member

So i need to make a print server running 2 printers (maybe more) for a home network. I'm just wondering if i get one of those shitty shitty atom tablets running win10 (like this), stick a USB OTG hub on it, and just make that a print server?

Or is there any sort of limitations that a Win 10 Atom tablet has that would stop this from happening?

2. power

power Member

so neither of these devices are network printers?

also many consumer routers have a USB port for "print serving" on USB printers.

3. OP
    OP
    nakey

nakey Member

nether device has network ports. Router does not have USB

4. power

power Member

in that case I can't see why not, personally? Unless these printers are something special I'd ditch em and replace with a basic wifi enabled printer just for reliability's sake.

If you can install the printer and it has a real OS then yeah, can't see an issue.

5. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Of the different options available to you, I feel as though your chosen route of a atom tablet is perhaps the worst option. As above, a new router or a new printer (unless it's some sort of commercial unit?) Is likely going to be simpler and cheaper

6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Raspberry Pi?

7. geek2_21

geek2_21 Member

Wonder if windows 10 on these devices have any network limitations???? I know the home edition of windows 7-8 had limitations

8. Renza

Renza Member

They run the 'core' version of windows 10 (as opposed to pro/enterprise), so the same 'home' limitations apply as before.