Windows 10 woes

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ShadowBurger, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Here's a curveball for ya

About 20% of the time, our new windows 10 laptops don't quite connect to the wifi by the time the login screen is presented and the user does their thing. This means the network drives don't get mapped, certain programs that run from them don't work, and sometimes it seems to cause gremlins with Offline Files not loading a local copy of the profile and not going online after a delay :thumbdn: I notice OneNote gets out of sync if the profile isn't running online also

I've thought of adding a script that attempts to re-map the drives every x seconds if the drives aren't present but that doesn't solve the offline profile issues

Any ideas?

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Haven't done a Win 10 rollout here. does it support the group policy for

Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

3. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Yes it does. This would be my suggestion as well.

4. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

how will that affect logging in offsite? ie . when there isn't a network connection

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

doesn't seem to be a problem for us.

6. bcann

bcann Member

it has network detection, so if the user isn't connected to a wireless or wired network it skips the network detect test and keeps on trucking. If it is plugged in it waits till it gets a dhcp ip address then tries to talk to the domain controller, after a short period it gives up if it can't talk to the domain controller and prompts you to login.

7. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

hmmm I wonder how that will handle WiFi only though. Our primary network at the office is WiFi, which is a unusual and I think; part of the problem

8. bcann

bcann Member

plugged in or wifi makes no difference to the network detection other then wifi taking longer to connect.

9. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

My experience is exactly the same as bcann describes. We have a number of Surface Pro users who are in this exact same situation, because they've always been like this they've never noticed/complained as the delay is practically negligible, WiFi or LAN.

10. connico

connico Member

11. roger895

roger895 Member

I have the same problem at my work. Neglected to consider this GP.

Very frustrating to say the least. :(

12. pantner

pantner Member

How are you currently mapping the drives?

via a logon script or via a GPO?

13. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

have that problem now in win 7 for the same reason. most of time a gpupdate or gpupdate /force resolves the issue. in the cases where it does not we suggest a shortcut on the desktop with the network drive path. this will get them working most of the time.
    the old reboot with the user giving it time to connect to network before logging in is another step in the process.

14. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I've since determined the issue is related to netBIOS name resolution which is enabled for the DFS and seems to be failing / slow. That's the reason network drives are disconnected at logon; they are mapped to a DFS path. I can't figure out why it's failing for a short period after a machine is powered up / logged on to, but as it should have never been enabled I'm going to switch it off and enforce FQDN referrals. I'll report back how that goes.

15. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I've gone to pinning shortcuts to network folders under Quick Access. Lots less lag when you open explorer and always have a complete connection by the time you go to open it.