1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. randomman

randomman Member

:lol: your hyperbole is *chefs kiss*

I agree with your sentiment but my counter is every company in the world is doing this. It's not Microsoft, we have a societal problem, and that is we see making money as more important than anything else (capitalism).

2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

This isn't true. The big bastards? Sure. But there are many smaller mobs out there who believe in sustainable business, customer rights, and win-win business strategies.

Just like you can choose to buy your produce from big bastard supermarkets or independent greengrocers and butchers, you can choose the same with your software.

And just because "everyone you know" shops at Coles and Woolies, doesn't mean you have to. Software isn't any different.

You always have a choice. And if you choose the big bastards out of convenience, that's fine. But don't convince yourself there was no choice and that it's the same everywhere. There's enough people employed in sales and marketing trying to do that already. Be aware of the choices available to you, and what you are actively choosing.

flu!d likes this.
  3. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

This 100%. The education department has options that aren't proprietary, available to them and designed for education. We should not be conditioning our children to become reliant on proprietary products.

4. randomman

randomman Member

I probably should have said "all the big players".

Sure and I can agree with that, but can I ask, have you done anything to make this a reality? If public school have you sent your MP a letter threatening to vote for the other side, of if private have you told them you're going to unenroll your child? Actually don't answer, this isn't the right thread for this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  5. Sam_js2

Sam_js2 Member

Installed linux on VM on my MacBook to get used to install process, will be installing it on bare metal soon and using KVM to use creative cloud and windows or MacOS when required.

Issue is, current PC broke and I'm waiting to buy a new CPU, I wonder how alder lake would play with linux, but only having 8 big cores seems a little restricting if I want to be using VMs.
    Also don't know if I would need win 11 in a VM rather than 10 to have it work correctly.

Either way I know its gonna suck a bit at first but I'm really looking forward to leaving windows behind (or at least, having it work for me as a tool inside a VM rather than an obstacle). That being said it took me all of half an hour to have steam installed and wine and proton done but I think I would want to invest a lot more time into desktop customisation, drivers and storage/encryption when doing it on bare metal. Either way sudo paceman -S steam (gotta change a config file first) is soo much better than using a web browser.

6. kogi

kogi Member

I found that to suck quite hard. For me anyway, win11 with wslg is a pretty simple solution

7. flu!d

My Friend....

I am quite possibly the most anti right wing, anti capitalist person you have ever met. I can assure you that every day I do my best to be a bad little consumerised capitalist.

8. elvis

I don't like the idea of threatening MPs. That doesn't really make them sympathetic to your cause.

But I've certainly spent a lot of time talking to them, as well as school leaders, about these issues. Hanlon's Razor is in full effect here - they aren't making their choices through malice, but rather ignorance. And the solution isn't threats, but better information and education.

There's still a long way to go, however, mostly due to Australia's appalling grasp on technology. Our professionals are apathetic, our leadership ignorant, and our industries well behind international standards. Places like the UK have the excellent Rasberry Pi Foundation pouring time and resources into the education of their young people and upskilling teachers. But here, nobody cares.

And as I've said countless times this thread, if you spend a minute in corperate IT, you'll know how bad it is, why it's a problem, and why every new version of Windows is accompanied by an OCAU thread of people whining that it's all being "dumbed down".

Hotrod2go likes this.
  9. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

Installed this on an i3 NUC over Win10 using the regedit hack because despite meeting all the tech specs for CPU cores/clock the CPU was for some reason "Unsupported".

Anyway it runs fine, exactly the same as Win10 did. The only glitch i had to deal with was re-adding my network shares as for some reason they wouldn't connect right off the bat. As far as menus and layout goes its a marked improvement over Win10.

10. mjunek

mjunek Member

It's not just that - I tried going to a Linux desktop the other week to try to get away from the 'habit' of using Windows 11. The problem for me is there were just too many things lagging behind which made it difficult to work with what's set up at my place of employment. Simple things like MS Teams being well behind on features that I use daily, OWA being useless compared to full-blown Outlook, lack of OneDrive Sync support and display scaling impossible on the linux Citrix client. I really wanted to make it work, but it was just so unproductive.
    The majority of this is caused by the organisation being instilled in the Microsoft Cloud for basic Office-productivity products.

11. flu!d

You can guarantee anything coded by MS is going to be half baked under Linux, that's why I don't use Teams or Outlook online. I use Firefox, I use Google Workspaces so my email and calendar sync fine using Oauth, and Firefox handles exchange using the Owl For Exchange add-on. I sync my Google Drive perfectly using insync, I also use insync on Windows and MacOS as I find it better than Google's own native client - Insync has never missed a beat in the 5+ years I've been using it. I actually find Outlook a terrible email client, Thunderbird definitely has a better autoconfig system.

I run a 27" 4k display and fractional scaling under KDE Neon running X11 is actually better than fractional scaling under Windows. Having said that, I don't use the Citrix client so I can't comment on how well it scales under KDE Neon.

12. mjunek

mjunek Member

I'd love to be able to use other products, unfortunately it's not possible. No applications other than Outlook are allowed to OAUTH for email.

Re: Citrix. It doesn't. That's because it's up to the guest OS within the VDI to scale, and the client passes through the scale factor. However, on Linux, it can't get the scale factor, so it leaves it at 100%. You can go and adjust it in Windows, but as soon as you move, resize or in any way touch the Citrix window, it adjusts the guest resolution, which then resets the scaling back to 100%. A real pain the in the butt.

13. money_killer

money_killer Member

not happy my amd ryzen 5 2500U wont let me update. not on the cpu list .. not even 2 yrs old

14. flu!d

I see irony here, considering that MS Office products are the most phished products out there.

15. elvis

You have 100% Microsoft tools in a 100% Microsoft driven workplace. Why on Earth are you attempting to wedge Linux in there with little experience?

You are well into "the cost of doing business" here with just accepting Windows 10 / Windows 11 as your necessary tool going forwards.

I'm a die hard, card carrying Linux lover. Every single one of my clients that chooses Office 365 gets advised to use Windows and deal with its bullshit if they're going to make a conscious business-level decision to use Office 365 and hire average people to drive it. My personal love of an OS has no place in business level decisions like that. Dogma goes out the window when you're making that level of decision.

If you truly want to get away from Windows - and I mean that you want "not Windows", rather than "exactly like Windows but free" (the latter of which people THINK Linux is, but it isn't), then you have to make some efforts to get out of your comfort zone, make technology changes, and learn new things. It can be highly freeing and rewarding, but it's not some sort of trivial clone and migrate process.

However if you're just mildly miffed by a few minor changes in Windows 11, Linux is not your saviour, as you are already coming at a potential migration with the wrong viewpoint, and doomed to fail before you even start.

I don't know the deep specifics of your use case, but your sentence above is filled with enough red flags for me that my advice is "you should stick with Windows". For the second time, Linux is not "a free Windows replacement". If that's what you want, don't even bother.

Sciflyer likes this.
  16. OJR

OJR Member

Do a clean install.

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'd be surprised at #2, though they certainly have hidden it away even in Win10. #1 is a PITA and I hate it. Installed 11 on the laptop just so i could try it out and put some games on for the kid but it won't even let me change our timezone :lol:

Win10 will be my go-to for a while yet since home PC is used for work and gaming. New laptop MacOS as I really enjoyed the easy break away from Windows.

This. My laptop wasn't listed on CPU list either but clean install worked.

Still perhaps that's half the reason it says I can't change certain settings...

flu!d likes this.
  18. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

As i posted above, unsupported CPUs can still upgrade to 11 if you add the registry key posted a page or so back (and you need to upgrade or fresh-install from USB)

19. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

This is a nicely-measured reply that hits the nail on the head. Those of my (advanced) age will remember the buzz around Linux distros about 15-20 years ago, when it was being touted as the Windows killer. I got sucked in to this and actually *bought* a full Mandrake distro (discs, manuals) and installed/mucked around with it for a bit, but inevitably despite having quite a polished GUI even then, it just was too much hassle and it ended up in the cupboard.

Its not a replacement for Windows unless you are prepared to make some pretty big sacrifices.

20. Supersize

Supersize Member

I remember getting a copy of Red Hat on a PC magazine when it first come out, it's was horrible to setup and internet was well not what we know it as today (BBS's)
    But I also tried Mandrake when it come out on another PC Mag, it was slightly better, but driver support still sucked without proper internet.

It was so much easier to reinstall Dos if you messed up your Linux install, what less then 10 minutes of your time and you'll have Dos 6 and Windows 3.1 up and running :lol: