1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. mjunek

mjunek Member

Appreciate what you're saying completely in regards to a Microsoft driven workplace. As for little experience, I have been using Linux for the last 25 years from server perspective (since RedHat 4 - not RHEL4); and at home I have been using misc desktop releases for personal use in most situations.

As for the use case - I am not trying to shoe-horn it in the business (that'll never happen given my employer) - I dont use my work laptop at home as it's too locked down and restrictive to do things usefully (I'm dreading being forced to go back to the office and use it). This is for my home PC - I was hoping to use Linux to perform work functions; however that seems out of reach. I am more than comfortable using it for anything that I use for 'home' use.

2. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

I didn't make anything I'd consider even remotely close to a big sacrifice by dumping Windows for Linux. I have no desire or need to run Windows in any way whatsoever, many Windows only software packages I use from time to time actually run perfectly under Wine.

I've honestly never been too keen on MS Office and especially Outlook, so dumping that platform for a libre solution wasn't a problem in the slightest; and as a non professional Photoshop user using a pirated license of the software, switching to GIMP was absolutely straightforward.

3. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I found this surprising. My business is 100% Linux desktop driven, and I happily use O365 tools for various client setups for myself and my direct subcontractors.

The comments you posted above were more typical of what I get from customers who aren't experienced with desktop Linux rollouts.

I'm not trying to be offensive here, but when I read things like "I can't use outlook on web on Linux", my immediate assumption is one of little desktop Linux experience, and my recommendation is stay away until you've acquired the experience necessary.

I maintain several businesses that use desktop Linux without issue. OCAU's constant complaining that it doesn't work tells me that most businesses are either hard-bound to inflexible workflows, or have neither the quality of staff not support required to make it work, and it's easier just to live with the devil they know instead.

"Sacrifices" is relative. If you "need" Microsoft tools, then that's the cost of doing business, and there's no room to complain that you're stuck on Windows.

Many of my customers don't "need" anything Microsoft, and alternatives do them fine, sometimes even better (e.g: Google tools provide certain customers of mine more flexibility than Microsoft tools, but again it's customer dependent).

Those who do in fact need Microsoft get no sympathy from me then Microsoft stuff direct meet their cost or convenience wants. They've signed up to using that, and it's now a business decision they need to live with.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  4. mjunek

mjunek Member

All good, I'm quite hard to offend, so no worries there :)
    Getting wildly off the Win11 topic here, but when it comes to using Outlook on the Web - Yes, I can use it, in a browser, whichever it may be - my complaint was more around the web-interfaces not being quite there. Same as the fat clients, like Teams, on Linux.

I think my 'experiment' with work related stuff was more around Win11 needing productivity changes due to feature reduction; things that I use day in and day out. So I figure, if I'm going to have to re-train my workplace brain at the operating system level, I may as well head down the Linux path.
    I was excited knowing that there were these additional apps (Teams, Citrix, etc) which were available with Linux clients, to really help ease that transition - but it appears that it would take alot more effort to get down way of thinking.
    Given time, I could make myself productive using OWA, and using Web-Based Teams etc. It's a massive mindset change, and there is functionality that's not replicated which does take a hit when you're used to a certain way of doing things.

Correct - the difference is that the integration of control over these applications is considerably greater than others. Company policies forced down to MS Edge and MS Outlook on the mobile, for example, without having to have the devices registered in the MDM - limiting how organisational data can be saved and shared.
    This is where the foray into other OS's fall short - the restrictions on email clients, for example, means that I am only able to use Outlook, or OWA. No IMAP, no SAML auth into O365/EWS from anything other than approved applications.
    It was an interesting experiment, which I think I will come back to over time.

5. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

You can do all of this under Google Workspace on both iOS and Android.

https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_au/products/admin/endpoint/

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Windows 11, first windows I visually like.

8. Supersize

Supersize Member

So after playing with the Android subsystem, there's a few downsides, apps that rely on ads don't work properly due to the Google ad services not being installed, there's no access to files namely the OBB folder even with a file explorer, it won't let you allow access, sideloading apps have to be done with adb.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

As a fairly experienced and well paid consultant working in the MS landscape - this isn't true, but it is difficult to do without an org wide push and executive sponsorship.

What is *far* more likely than an Organisation moving from Windows to some flavour in Linux - is for an organisation to move from Windows to purely Browser delivered applications and services. This is here in some organisations, but still has various gaps where MDM and/or SaaS isn't quite there for all use cases many businesses will have.

10. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

just to clarify - i mean big sacrifices for end users, not sysadmins or whoever.

11. elvis

The important thing to remember is there are no absolutes. I've helped businesses who are 100% Linux, 100% Mac and even 100% iPad. They all work just fine.

With enough brute force you can make any software work. Indeed, most businesses happily trundle along with utterly abysmal choices in software, turning to human effort and process to work around the shortfalls.

Chances are your business makes "big sacrifices" every day already. The only difference is you've boiled that frog long enough, and your current level of pain is now your every day normal state.

Nothing is written in stone, and even then stone can be broken. There's not a single thing in any business that can't be changed, and there's not a single thing in any business that will last forever. You sure as heck aren't even using Microsoft stuff in the same way today that you were when the world was fretting about Y2K.

12. epictetus

epictetus Member

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...-1tb-ssd-rtx-3070-130w.1310004/#post-19035463

bought this laptop, so second seller upgrades it to windows 11 and reformatted after before selling it to me without telling me (seem like he only bought it to try out windows 11)

Now, in the "recovery", I do not have "go back" option.

Is there anyway for me to go back on this laptop? Do I need to make a windows 10 recovery USB tool thing and somehow find out my product key for Lenovo?

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

That one seems a bit sus, but i've generally avoided anything from that individual as they seem to flip a lot of things and I always wonder why...

You should be able to create a Win10 USB and install from that. No CD Key required as it'll be hooked into the BIOS (or something like that is how they do it on laptops these days)

14. epictetus

epictetus Member

He does trade a lot but I gave his benefit of the doubt.

But if you gonna change the OS which is like a vital part (if not the most important) of the user experience, why not disclose it.

So this is the only way to go back to w10 if "Go back" option is gone after a factory reset?

15. OJR

OJR Member

it's a new laptop, just do a clean install and the key will be tied to the BIOS. Why do you want to "go back"?

Elmf likes this.
  16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Yes.

And tbh, it's the better option too.

Upgrades without a reformat aren't exactly the most stable of things at times so I wouldn't expect a rollback to be any different. The PC would have been wiped before you purchased it anyway, so realistically by installing fresh you're going to have the same system but less chance of stability issues :)

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Just reformat and install W10 dude. Can't believe you chucked shade at a seller over them running an OS update lol, I wouldn't think twice about specially disclosing something like that on an enthusiast forum. Most people would reformat to make sure its clean when they purchase it anyway I would assume.

Elmf, epictetus and dave_dave_dave like this.
  18. elvis

Yes, make a recovery image and blast the machine.

Either use the Microsoft official tools, or this site (which generates a script so you can download files from WindowsUpdate to build an ISO):
    https://uupdump.net/

19. epictetus

epictetus Member

Now that I know how to clean install w10, yes it wouldn't be something I worried about. at the time I did not know.
    Now I have the bootable drive made and should only take much shorter time.

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

It's an enthusiast forum but we've all got gaps in knowledge :thumbup:

And to be fair OCAU has grown beyond PC enthusiasts these days

jjjc_93 likes this.