1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

That's fair man, I think it's just the tone you approached the forum with that got me. We're usually always happy to help out a fellow PC lover in need of help. Glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

2. epictetus

epictetus Member

sorry mate, I apologise to the forum, I should have just asked on how to dg to w10 and schedule the dg the next day or even wait until the weekend. I was just too excited to use the l5p.

My emotion got the better of me and it is something I need to work on.

3. vader

vader Member

Been running Win 11 for a couple of weeks now.
    I mostly like it, my biggest gripe (so far) is that there is no longer a taskbar setting option to have the taskbar vertical on the left instead of on the bottom of the screen.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Surprisingly, both the Dell XPS that I purchased (and sent back due to hardware faults) and the replacement HP Zbook that I ended up going with both came with workable/acceptable images - that needed tweaking/light cleaning, but not once did I think "OK, I gotta format this malware off of this new lappy".

The new guy at work accidentalled his laptop with Windows 11, so he's been the canary in the coal mine for whether I'm soon to install it or not. :lol: It took me ages to break away from the Windows 7 mind-set to jump onto Windows 10 for my HTPC and gaming desktop, but knowing MS is discouraging their update to Win11 (not to say I can't hack it onto them), I'm on the fence whether to mess about with an 11 install on one system whilst my others run 10.

Realistically, I need to learn the improvements in 11 before I start thinking about it. Show me the File Explorer improvements, filters, searches, etc, and then I'll pay attention. Windows 10 still strikes me as very half-assed in so many day-to-day file explorer operations, whilst they continue to shove Xbox bullshit in my face that nobody asked for.

5. Skramit

Skramit Member

Good. Vertical taskbars should be illegal anyway.

Deus_Ex_Machina, Dilbery and OJR like this.
  6. vader

vader Member

Thems fighting words!!! :Pirate:

7. Skramit

Skramit Member

Hehe. When I used to work in IT support roles, and you cant find the users fucking start menu becuase its vertical or top mounted, and auto-hidden..... you come to hate it.

8. tuRtlez

tuRtlez Member

press the windows key on your keyboard… :confused:

9. Skramit

Skramit Member

Heh youd think so but not always after the start button, sometimes trying to switch apps etc. Also keyboard commands dont always work on remote sessionbs depending on the tool used.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  10. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

miguel_sanchez likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Looks like we've had enough new posts that the old discussion has been forgotten, and this thread is back to this conversation again.

Something something Microsoft's billion customers are morons, go look at mouth breathing business IT users for examples. Something something you're not the target audience, this is the new normal. Something something you have other choices something.

See you in 10 pages time when we go over this again!

Sledge likes this.
  12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I upgraded on the weekend.
    Apart from stuff being in the middle, instead of on the right, I didn't really notice any difference :).

13. Skramit

Skramit Member

14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, It's been pretty painless on my end. Only real dislikes are the new context menus. They really don't want people to actually use a pc do they? lol

I absolutely hate having icons for cut/copy/paste/rename whatever. Like the slightly vertical rectangle is copy, but the more horizontal rectangle is rename?... ok. Gimme plain English please as surely these will just change/move again.

7zip and other tools being hidden makes working with files/folders difficult. Extract/Compress this, open folder as a project in x ide etc. has to go, because its messy? bah

Side note: Holy hell windows "Extract All" etc. is slow as hell. What 7zip does in the blink of an eye literally takes windows like 30 seconds. Yet those options are big and large on the new context menus. :/

15. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

At least we're keeping the thread on-topic? :)
    I linked XKCD; so was mine :p
    Poe's Law, amirite

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  16. Skramit

Skramit Member

I want to do a fresh install of Win11 in a couple of days on a new SSD. I use a microsoft account already with Win10. Is my Win 10 Pro key linked with my MS account or do i need to transfer it somehow?

17. OJR

OJR Member

it's tied to the mobo BIOS. So as long as it's on the same mobo, you'll be right.

Skramit likes this.
  18. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Unsure why you would downgrade to Windows 10. 11 is rock solid. Been using my gaming laptop for work since W11 dropped instead of my linux laptop. (mainly cos running 2 different resolutions on linux still sucks)

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member