1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Thanks I got that, but its just come to light today for me at least, that it still won't be good enough for proper all round hardware based security. Look at these articles here & here. MBEC & HVCI are lacking on all non supported processors, in fact it seems that even Ryzen 2000 series are lacking it too! but why are they on the list of supported processors? We can speculate all we like but I think MS are scared of more backlash from the market for how stict the CPU list is already.
    I'm just going to have to budget up & rebuild that system with something more modern. In the meantime that system can be a historical curiosity in the great world of PC history! :o

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'd say Ryzen's still listed because they don't include security flaws as a feature in their CPU's that they can later 'patch' to gimp performance and push people to upgrade.

3. mareke

mareke Member

On learning the requirements for Windows 11 I checked my Gigabyte motherboard that I bought in 2014 and I discovered that it has a connector for a 20 pin TPM 2.0 module. Then I checked online to see if I could buy one. No Australian store sells 20 pin TPM 2.0 modules. Scorptec and PC Case Gear sell TPM 2.0 modules but they are 12 or 14 pin. There are plenty of 20 pin modules for sale on eBay from China, UK, US, Israel, Russia etc but I'm not willing to gamble that one I bought from China which would take 6 or 8 weeks to arrive by economy mail would work. I'll wait until 20 pin modules are available in Australia shops! Windows 10 will still be supported until October 2025 anyway.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Hotrod2go likes this.
  4. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Your referring to Zen+ aren't you? I'm clarifying this because that's the product line that strictly speaking does not support HVCI as the Microsoft documentation describes here.
    It should also be indicated they clearly warn with this message...
    HVCI warning - Copy.JPG

Zen 2 is not Zen +

5. tired

tired Member

I installed Windows 11 last night. The only thing I don't like thus far is the size of the taskbar. Windows 11 stupidly doesn't allow for changes in size to the taskbar. I edited the registry to enable different taskbar sizes but changing the default size to small chopped-off the bottom of clock because it didn't scale right. I am using a TV as a monitor in the lounge room which Windows sets for 300% scaling. Windows 10 was just fine at scaling the taskbar time/date.

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'd buy one now from overseas to be honest as I believe the older 20 pin TPM has been discontinued or is no longer available (aka too hard to get/not worth the effort). None of the local disities I have access to have it in their price list, the only Gigabyte TPM modules listed are the newer 14 pin modules you are seeing through online retailers.

7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I’m taking the piss of Intel and their various security flaws that keep needing to be patched.

8. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

What MB and CPU? Check that they support CPU TPM in the BIOS so you don't have to purchase a TPM module. https://kb.newegg.com/knowledge-base/how-to-enable-tpm-2-0-in-bios/

9. mareke

mareke Member

I took your advice and bought a 20 pin TPM module from China. I didn't realise that the 20 pin ones were early TPM modules. I'm not fussed if it doesn't work as I'm happy with Windows 10. There's a good chance it will work though based on comparing the pin layout in my motherboard manual for the TPM module header with the one displayed for the eBay TPM module I bought.
    Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (Rev 1.0) CPU is an Intel Core i7 4790S.

I do have to purchase a TPM module. Once it's inserted then bit locker should work. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS to do with TPM.

If the 20 pin TPM module works then maybe Windows 11 will work well on the computer despite it's age. TPM must have been around a long time because I had a really old core 2 computer with an Intel board and it had a TPM module.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

From memory I think it's been around for the past 10 years but it's never been something which has been pushed on the consumer market until now. It's often just been an optional extra on most motherboards if at all. Intel are one of the early adopters with their desktop boards as their market isn't just consumer but business level too where features like these are considered more essential.

It's the same for laptops, HP, Dell and the like who also are heavily invested in the business market have had TPM in their laptops for quite some time too.

11. connico

connico Member

Ok favourite thing in Windows 11? Snap and multiple display management...

12. kogi

kogi Member

Did you notice this?
    upload_2021-11-17_18-2-50.png

13. connico

connico Member

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Building PC's for customers for my small side business I am unsure if I stick with 10 for now or go straight to 11.

I do need to get used to 11 but don't want to be dealing with teething issues, or is it pretty solid?

15. Supersize

Supersize Member

Well if they do use a lot of tabs I'll be the first to tell you removing the Never Combine option pisses people off who have fast workflow.
    I know 2 companies the ordering/quotes guy will have multiple browser windows open (not tabs), and combining them into a fancy little icon that you have to hover over slowed down his workflow so much, he rolled back to Windows 10 withing 5 hours of having Windows 11.

There will be people here that are going to start going "he could of done this or that" but when you're productive in a certain way taking a week or so to relearn a system that shouldn't need to be relearnt is not a option.

Everything else is fine to us Windows 11 for if that's not a issue.

walker_2003 likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

The only constant is change. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Given the high population of gamers on OCAU (where video games are constantly changing puzzles that need solving, and where game-to-game UX is radically different), I'm perpetually amazed how much basic OS UX changes totally bamboozle people.

Hotrod2go, colmaz, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  17. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Its solid, I've been running it since the beta and no real issues its pretty solid.

Even if you don't start installing windows 11, make sure PTT and ftpm is enabled so users can upgrade in the future.

walker_2003 likes this.
  18. connico

connico Member

Haven't had any issues with it. Its performed very well for me with zero downtime after the windows 10 upgrade

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah gross I hate them combining. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

20. tired

tired Member

I have a problem on my desktop in the dining room with right clicking on files. The right click menu immediately goes away. I have to click a few times for it to stay or sometimes a longer right click. I worked around it by enabling Use check boxes to select items in the Folder Options>View>Advanced Settings menu. I found the workaround by searching online.