1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Download the latest Win10 ISO from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

Double click the ISO to mount it as a drive, and run setup.exe. No need for keys or anything, and it will keep all your existing files and settings.

Every single instance I've seen of Windows 10 not wanting to install updates has been fixed with this method.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I find it's not worth stressing too much about the issues these reviewers come across as sometimes it's not as bad as they make it out to be. They are afterall chasing clicks. For example, the initial release had a bug with certain AMD processors which affected it's performance. I have such a system which was affected and unless I ran a benchmark on it I didn't even notice the performance difference, same when the patch come to fix the issue. Meh.

Remember, for every 1 user you hear about having issues there's probably another dozen or so who aren't. It's the people having issues you hear from.

wulfy23, NismoR31 and elvis like this.
  3. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

^ same experience as Flamin Joe. Didn't even notice the AMD bug. Win11 is solid as right now especially after the few patches since release. I actually find it faster than 10 and it feels nicer to use.

My only gripe which is supposedly in one of the insider/beta versions now is having the clock display on a 2nd monitor. Oh and sometimes it doesn't remember to apply the custom monitor colour profiles I have, but that's a minor annoyance as I can manually set as default again and it applies them. Not sure if this is actually a Win11 issue or an Nvidia issue, as it's fine if I have Geforce Experience installed but no I don't want that.

4. tired

tired Member

Just thought I'd mention the earlier problems I had on 2 computers with the right click menu disappearing was fixed by a cumulative update.

5. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Thanks, I tried this first...but didnt work :(

I was going to try this second...but before I did, on that same webpage you linked I tried the update option on top of page...took about 40min to complete and everything now working fine, fully updated no problems.

Oh ok, cool. Well I got it fully updated now with no problem, so will probably hold back on win 11 for a while yet. Next time I need to do a full fresh reinstall, will do win 11 then, and hopefully its even more stable and bug free.

Thanks for help guys

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

PowerShell is now referred to as Windows Terminal by the UI..

upload_2021-11-30_10-45-9.png

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  7. OJR

OJR Member

Windows Terminal has been around for a while. It's more than just powershell, it's a terminal management utility. It does PS, command prompt and tabs! Handy AF!

Sphinx likes this.
  8. mareke

mareke Member

The 20 pin Trusted Platform Module I bought on eBay for my Gigabyte motherboard arrived from China yesterday (a lot quicker than I expected) and it turned out to be a waste of money. Windows 10 doesn't see it. A BIOS update is presumably required for it to be recognised and the last BIOS update for my motherboard was way back in 2015. Bitlocker can't be turned on. Gigabyte should have included the TPM module with the motherboard when people bought it new.

PC health check confirms that the TPM module is not recognised despite enabling the setting in the BIOS that should allow it to be recognised and work. For some reason my CPU isn't supported either. Possibly because it's not one of the CPUs that allow bitlocker to run from the CPU. Windows 11 is unlikely to be able to be installed on my computer once support for Windows 10 ends.

upload_2021-12-1_14-24-24.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  9. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

10. mareke

mareke Member

I'm not prepared to try that now but I'll definitely consider it when Windows 10 is no longer supported.

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

It will be an 11 year old CPU at that point, I'd say pushing its limits...

12. OJR

OJR Member

If you do a clean install it doesn’t check for any of that. Can we make this a sticky or something?

13. mareke

mareke Member

I'd buy a new computer to run Windows 11 but like to keep my current computer running as a backup computer ideally connected to the internet. My laptop is 3 years old and has a TPM installed and could run Windows 11 now if I wanted to so I have options.

14. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

does anyone who runs WSL2 with CUDA know if nvlink is supported? I saw it has good benefits for ML workloads so I wondering if it does then it would enable me to use windows and linux on the same box at the same time easily.

15. fnp

fnp Member

I'm in the same boat, my daily driver pc pre-dates TPM. I've decided I don't really care enough about Windows 11 to try dodging my way around the TPM requirements, W11 doesn't offer anything I want anyway and I'm perfectly happy with my pc, not interested in upgrading. If it drops dead then sure I'll build a current system and install Windows 11 then, but until that point Windows 10 is fine.

16. rthy

rthy Member

not sure why, but my vbox vms (win7, win10 and macos catalina) run significantly smoother than on win10 for some reason.

17. Statitica

Statitica Member

I still see this behavior today, with first generation PC users - even the ones with close to 10 years experience.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  18. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Most of the UI hacks in this thread seem obsolete now? I've updated three systems to W11 now, and can't really see much difference once I click to put the start menu back on the left. I kind of like the UI tweaks actually.

19. Warface

Warface Member

Might just wait for Windows 15

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Welcome to the cycle of "new Windows releases".

1) Initial release. Everyone cracks the shits, hates the UI.

2) Soon after release, communities work hard on hacks and tweaks to implement UI look-and-feel from $PreviousVersion which was "the best Windows ever, why did they change?"

3) $CurrentVersion ongoing patches break tweaks and hacks, people are forced to actually use the UI day-to-day

4) Everyone realises the new UI isn't really that bad. Stops whining, gets on with life. Until the dreaded $NextVersion...

I continually invite everyone to go and read the existing Windows 7 and Windows 10 threads to see exactly these same patterns playing out. Zero surprises that it happened again for Windows 11, and I 100% guarantee you the same cycle will play out for "Windows 12". It's about as predictable as "Fast and the Furious" films at this point.

NismoR31 and wulfy23 like this.