1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Context menus are still my only real peeve with win11. The whole "Show more options" to get custom items back (after a stupid delay for animations) is super painful when working with files/folders directly... Brain still won't click with icons for cut/copy/paste either. Especially since they keep moving, top to bottom, or hiding certain ones completely putting them out of order from last time I looked. rawr

Start menus a giant waste of space, but eh. as gnomish as it is trying to become, at least they let you make shortcuts on the taskbar/desktop still so you don't have to deal with it so often. :p

2. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

I agree. It took me a couple of days to get used to this right-click shit, but we finally got there :D

And as for the Windows 11 start menu - hideous! I don't wish to have a million icons pinned to my taskbar. I thought the Windows 10 start menu was pretty decent, and didn't need fixing. But those software developers have to justify their pay packet somehow I guess.

I realise a computer is just a tool. And this is not a euphemism, but I like my tool to look good as well as be functional. So for the first time ever (because I normally detest such things), I have forked out a few bucks for Start11 to make my start menu look pretty and shiny.

It's now aesthetically pleasing, functional, and I'm happy with how my computer is looking and running. So I'll simply slip Microsoft an email, and send them my bill for Start11.

I'll let you know what they say ;)

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Can someone confirm please.
    Do I need my Win10 product key to complete Win 11 Installation

Win 10 could run in trial mode :thumbup:

4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

No, you dont. Just select something like ‘i dont have a key’ in the setup

OJR and shane41 like this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

6. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

7. Yehat

Yehat Member

For context menus in addition to the new shortcut key combo to bring up the expanded menu (click the file/folder and then press Shift+F10), there's a registry hack to make the context menus work like Windows 10 here
    The registry hack worked for me at the time of writing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, I've been trying to avoid my bag of reg/other hacks and just use things as is, but uhh... You made me crack. Old context menus are back, and menushowdelay is at 0 (throwback to the win2000 days, jesus, why they don't include that with the disable useless animations setting is beyond me) and I installed start11.

All of a sudden something super common for me, like extracting a file with 7zip, quickly editing it with notepad++ or something, then copying its dropbox link so i can just dump it into an ssh terminal just got about 10 seconds shorter.

Also, start11 search seems really good at first glance, and since it doesn't appear to try send everything online unless you explicitly click web results, it doesn't have the massive stutter I frequently get with the stock one when trying to search for a local app/file... So that's become a useful option again. Pretty happy all round. Few relatively minor tweaks make a huge difference.

upload_2022-1-6_14-4-47.png

Sphinx and Yehat like this.
  9. Yehat

Yehat Member

^ Haven't tried start11, but incase anyone else is interested to stop windows 11 start/search from incorporating bing searches, the reg hacks which worked for me are here. Also unrelared to bing but useful sections on turning off pop up notifications/ads being displayed (multiple items) - here
    And out of the box, basic start bar customisation - here

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    breno likes this.
  10. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I can't update to windows 11, I got 0x800F0830 – 0x2003 – The Installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error.
    If I use update using assistant method I got error 0x800f0831.

My PC spec B550 aorus elite V2 with the lastest BIOS and 5900x

11. OJR

OJR Member

Are you doing a clean install or an in-place upgrade?

12. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I am upgrade my windows 10.

Fixed, I am able to update now. Solution disconnect the PC from the internet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  13. OJR

OJR Member

Good to hear you got it sorted, hope you can sleep at night knowing you have a filthy Windows install. :lol:

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

We all sleep somehow knowing we're running windows.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

~$ 7za x blah ; nano blah ; rclone blah

Always gives me a chuckle when people talk about workflow speeds. I'll race you. :)

16. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Possibly the check for and install updates during install. I usually say no to that and run updates afterwards. I did have it fail when installing on an unsupported CPU using the registry bypass, unchecked the update option while installing and it went through fine.

17. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

I mean, I'm generally grabbing the files from elsewhere, otherwise I'd just edit them locally. But like, if you wanna run lynx on a modern website via SSH, go for it. lol

Regardless, It was a simplified example... For comparison, How bout we add a 3 second delay to every param you add to a command while we add pretty animations to the console? :p

18. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

LOL, I just want to try out win11 no lost sleep over it hehehe. But if I have the same situation 10 years ago I will sit through the night to get it working.

OJR likes this.
  19. kogi

kogi Member

Looks like windows 11 defaults to installing with bitlocker on.

Is there any gotchas with bitlocker on the main drive?

20. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Make sure you have a copy of the recovery key, if you have a microsoft account logged in it will usually save to that.

kogi likes this.