1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Which average users aren't going to have, because they have no idea what HDD encryption even is, resulting in the same confusion as Microsoft's manipulative and ongoing push for MS accounts over local accounts.

"Not only can I not log in to my computer as the password mysteriously changed, but now it's impossible to recover my data because my password mysteriously changed"...Something, something..."Limited account is bad".

2. OJR

OJR Member

I've installed Windows 11 about 6 or 7 times now. Not once did it bitlocker any of the drives.

3. flu!d

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure the Daughter's laptop hasn't got bitlocker enabled.

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

5. kogi

kogi Member

It's got me scratching my head, that's why I turn to you guys

Windows Pro 21h2 Build 22000.434 , new install on an intel NUC11PAHi5

EDIT: Same usb on a cubi 10th gen. no bitlocker

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

I wonder if there something in bios that enables it?

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

If bitlocker is encrypting automatically, you might have other problems...

8. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...erview-windows-10#bitlocker-device-encryption

If you've logged in with a MS account and the device supports modern standby it will enable automatically.

Bitlocker is fine, I've been using it on my machine since Windows 8.1 (And subseqently in enterprise since 7) as I said just make sure you know where the recovery key is.

No there isn't, well I mean yes you enable the TPM in there but there isn't anything to say explicitly 'Encrypt my drive' its all done at the OS level.

More out of curiosity than anything, what do you think these problems might be?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Or have decent backups.

An encrypted drive that you can't get in to is no different to a failed drive. This isn't a new problem or risk. Computing 101.

Jesus saves. Everyone else makes incremental backups.

I'm also wondering what these problems might be. As above, having backups isn't optional IMHO. If you care about your data, follow the 3-2-1 rule:

3 copies total
    2 different systems/media onsite
    1 copy offsite

USB hard disk or home NAS and cloud backup (GDrive/OneDrive/BackBlaze/etc) works wonderfully for home users in 2022 to cover you. Not hugely expensive either.

If you run a business, then it's a cost of doing business.

2SHY, Zee and Dilbery like this.
  10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I think it's something done by device manufacturer. I too wonder if it's triggered in the bios or recovery partitions. Had it on my MIL's Dell laptop recently when i had to reformat it (and it was Win10).

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Its not, its when your device filfills specific criteria its done, as per my post above Modern Standby and logging in with a windows account.

You'll have to excuse me, you're on my ignore list so I missed this post but ill bite....Its saved into your microsoft account, its no different to filevault on OSX. Lets keep hand holding users and not implementing features because people can't read. In the avent their machine triggers a recovery the recovery prompt tells them all they need to know and what to do. Keep in mind this process is only triggered with the use of a microsoft account...

I don't know why you are so hesitant to change and so resistant to Micorosft....Its not 1997 anymore, stop gatekeeping.

It's probably because you've used a local account, from all your preview posts I can't see you (or your daughter) using a microsoft account at all for this. Or if you do, not specifying it in the OOBE is the likely culprit here or the OEM disabling it in their Unattend during factory imaging.

12. flu!d

And once again.

They have no idea what a Microsoft account is, they have no idea what a local (*cough, sorry: Limited) account is. They don't know that their login password is going to change to their newly assigned Microsoft account login password the next time they turn on their computer, what on earth makes you think they'll have any clue what a recovery key is; and how will they get back into their MS account to find the recovery key if they don't know the password as they didn't note it down (going back to the premise that they have no idea what this Microsoft account is, they just think it's needed to access the Windows store that they'll never use).

Talking, of course, about Microsoft's manipulated and underhanded tactics regarding switching users from Local (sorry, limited) accounts to Microsoft accounts. Not talking about installs configured manipulatively with Microsoft accounts from the onset via the OOBE

The last time I tried to recover a client's account when the security questions didn't work was a lost cause, Microsoft just send you around in circles and there's no one to ring unless you're paying for an a business grade Microsoft 365 account.

I suggest you put me back on ignore, because outside your tightly controlled corporate IT world, Windows is a mess.

The Windows 11 Home OOBE provides no option to create a local account and there is no option stating 'I have no internet', essentially the OOBE allows for Microsoft accounts only - So she's running a Microsoft account that provides no tangible benefit for her over a standard local account.

Sure, afterwards it was found you could just enter anything for a Microsoft account knowing it wouldn't work, then you'd get the option stating 'I have no internet', but that loophole was discovered long after my Daughter got her laptop and set it up.

13. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Please, the OOBE explains it all and its advantages, they can't read its up to them. As I've said, IF the bitlocker recovery prompt is triggered the screen tells them all need to know. But if people forget their password, thats no different to forgetting it for the local account, or their phone pin, or their email password. Rather than enabling your 'clients' you're just creating arbitrary illusional issues based on 'what ifs'

People that know what they are doing don't do the things you talk about...You have insane misconceptions around corporate IT and it being tightly controlled especially given I'm talking about windows accounts which basically have no part in a corporate world but I guess you already knew that. Windows is a mess because snake oil salesmen as yourself don't understand the platform (don't say you do) and then tell them mistruths based off your own deluded opinions.

14. flu!d

The OOBE tries to 'sell' Microsoft accounts over local accounts, the fact remains that the average user usually doesn't want anything being offered and should have the option to configure a local account called a local account and not a limited account. Everything should be free from manipulation.

Why don't they just say: Use a Microsoft account, link everything with the cloud, when you use up your minuscule 5GB of data allowance we want to sell you more.

Average users, as in ~75% of Windows users out there, have no idea what they're doing. They don't forget their Microsoft account password, they don't pay attention to it in the first place, they just want to get rid of that blue full screen requester telling them to sign up for a 'non limited' account every three days and pay no attention to the password used in the first place. This is where your corporate IT experience misses the point completely, hence my reasoning for mentioning corporate IT - I never mentioned that corporate IT gets users to log into desktops using Microsoft accounts, that's just yourself taking things out of context and blatantly ridiculous.

What I want to know is: Why is the Microsoft account so important to Microsoft? Why is Edge, the free browser bundled with Windows so important to Microsoft? It's not like they're selling Edge to the consumer, so why is it of such importance that they have to try and manipulate the end user into adopting what's essentially Chromium with a skin?

We all know the reason, and it's got no more to do with outright convenience than Apple's ecosystem has anything to do with outright convenience. That's just the selling point.

Microsoft are being underhanded, Microsoft are being manipulative. Sorry, I'm not good when it comes to the US version of capitalism, I refuse to buy into capitalist USA unless I absolutely have no other option.

Zee likes this.
  15. NSanity

NSanity Member

Clearly the answer is linux on the desktop.

Ensure users are paralyzed by choice, ridiculed for when they inevitably make a decision (because its always the wrong one) and delete their desktop attempting to follow a guide on the internet - because the thing they actually wanted to do didn't work despite support being explicitly listed.

This is the perfect trade to Ubiquitous full disk encryption - standard on basically every modern device at this point - but Microsoft is the bad guy because they are encouraging people to create a recovery account that exists external to the device they create it on.

This is why its dominant on the desktop too.

Perfectly sane alternatives are being sidelined by their mess however, these alternatives allow people to use a familiar platform on a variety of price/performance tiers ranging from Cheap as Fuck to MacPro money - that for the most part just works, doesn't require you to read mailing lists before you use it, nor have a degree in CS and almost anyone familiar with computers can assist you with if you have a problem.

2SHY and Dilbery like this.
  16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Let’s roll this back into more windows 11 focused discussion please….

Windows 11 Dev build 22533 centers flyouts for volume, brightness, ISOs also available

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows...ts-for-volume-brightness-isos-also-available/

Microsoft has released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22533 to the Dev Channel. In it, Microsoft has announced a new call experience for the Your Phone app as well as "includes a good set of changes and improvements as well as fixes." There are also ISOs released for this build for those that want to clean install. First up are the Changes and Improvements:

17. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I've always been of the knowledge that bitlocker needs to be enabled by the End User, so my thought pattern was that if it's doing it without consent or User action, then either it could in fact be a bug, or cryptolocker (albeit perhaps farfetched in some respects). I've never heard of bitlocker being auto-enabled ordinarily except when it's scripted via a custom SOE deployment.

Dilbery likes this.
  18. elvis

You can generate bootable ISOs from uupdump.net as well.

https://uupdump.net/

The site merely generates a script that you run locally, then pull all the files and updates to your local machine from Microsoft servers, and build an ISO image there. Exactly the same files you'd be installing from any Microsoft-generated ISO.

DiGiTaL MoNkEY likes this.
  19. elvis

If it's not already, I would expect bitlocker to be the default soon.

You can't find a phone that doesn't encrypt storage by default in 2022. Given the sheer bulk of traditional desktop computing now happens on laptops and mobile devices, it makes sense that the "encrypted by default" mindset follows through. Apple have been doing this for some time now too on all of their desktop and laptop models.

I know desktop users baulk at the idea of (a) mobile being dominant and (b) change of any kind, but the modern world demands "encryption at rest" as the default state, and not just in the corporate world.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Ah shit, i missed your post when skim reading the responses.

A quick google of Modern Standby lead me to MS website. I didn't notice but i gather it's a mobile device only thing or perhaps a desktop that's hooked to a UPS and windows is aware of it?

I honestly hate that Modern Standby. It's just an absolute battery drain. Actually windows generally seems to be. I made the switch to MacOS for my mobile device recently because I genuinely got fed up with the passive battery drain (disabled fast boot and all that shit) but MacOS boots up in an instant and negligible battery drain at all. It's quite nice for a mobile device but I wouldn't switch my desktop device over to it.

I'm happy for Bitlocker to be standard on any device though. Might make recovery a fucking PITA for professionals dealing with average jo. It's hard to get people to understand and do them /random story and mini rant i guess?

On that note: What does everyone use for their backups in Windows? I'm currently using Veeam for a volume level backup to my NAS but wondering what other good options there are out there? (I've done Backblaze but my experiences haven't been the best and it's expensive so i want local network). Veeam seems like it might not be the best in the event of a total PC failure as i think it's more designed for restoring to the same hardware (which might not work well on wife's laptop as an example)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022