1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Having a few issues with some software after a recent update, Samsung Magician no longer opening and Armoury Crate spitting errors. Somehow seemed to have fixed Crate but Magician broken.

2. kogi

kogi Member

Working fine here, but kb5010795 is waiting to be installed.

3. Will S

Will S Member

SOB.....flashed my BIOS and Win11 gave me a cant login with my number codebecause blah blah blah ....they wanted my Microsoft account and password . The problem was the password wouldn't work and they needed a code sent to my gamil address. Problem was my other PC has been pulled apart awaiting a new case and upgrade water cooling. So switched it to my mobile number but they wanted a code sent to my email address. Ended up putting gmail account on my phone and finally got the message but 2 many attempts and try again tomorrow...............grrrrr

So back to trying different passwords with login and after numerous attempts got the right one ( apparently I added some digits to the password written on my win10 installation media box.)

and all of this for a BIOS upgrade......... (*^^(*^(*^&*^&%$^%&%^#$%#^$%^$#&

at the moment I hate Microsoft with a passion that I haVE NVER HAD BEFORE

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but was the problem that you forgot your own password?

5. Will S

Will S Member

So you put a password in for Windows many months ago and you dont use that password again ... so forgive me for not remembering and I do have it recorded but on the other PC that is now in parts. But I am silly because I have 100's of passwords and cant remember them . :sick:

This is the first time after a BIOS upgrade they pull this security thing....

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

https://bitwarden.com/

Available in/for: Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and most desktop browsers.

7. Will S

Will S Member

The main thing was not the password but upgrading the BIOS triggered new "security measures" that disabled my number login. Why would they make it that a BIOS upgrade would do this?

and the other problem was been lazy as well as having a memory like a sift ...so much escapes when you get old

jeez, I even have my mobile phone number written on a pic ( the glass part ) .....

8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

likey a security feature that detected a change in your hardware and enforced a more secure login - Either way, give bitwarden a try mate, it'll save you a shitload of effort because we all have so many passwords these day that they're hard to remember and it isn't just an age issue :thumbup:

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

So... Microsoft are now coercively pushing "FREE" Windows 11 updates for those of us who still have PCs on Windows 10.

[​IMG]

glenpinn likes this.
  10. elvis

Because it's not a "BIOS" any more. It's UEFI, which is quite different, and prone to some pretty low level attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

With a world full of identity theft and cryptolocker malware, extra security measures are the new normal. You are going to have to be able to remember your password to use a computer from here on out. It's not Windows 95 any more.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. Will S

Will S Member

Like I said, have 2 PC's and because one is stripped awaiting new components was unable to use and that has my passwords in a messed up way so that sometimes I have to think before knowing what they are. Anyway will print it out because basically my memory is not what used to be............anyway will check out bitwarren

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Question for those using Windows 11 Back Up and File Version restore - is the UI faster and simpler than the fucking mess Microsoft left their Windows 10 Back Up UI / Config in? Any thing to note about the Windows 11 Back Up experience? I'm assuming that most here probably run 3rd party back-up software, where I have a little experience with Acronis over the years, but now tend to just use the default Windows 10 Back-Up (which is god awful... )

13. elvis

Robocopy + scheduled task.

Dilbery likes this.
  14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, that's been on my mind - would make a good side-project to setup a script that runs on my setup. Although the Windows File Version (via right click on file menu) does add a note of ease-of-use when needing a previous version of an edited/corrupted file.

15. kogi

kogi Member

Macrium reflect for full disk backup, local
    Google drive for documents folder
    Arq 7 to B2 for documents folder

16. elvis

For that, I use this:
    https://www.samba.org/samba/samba/docs/man/manpages/vfs_shadow_copy2.8.html

Although only helps you if you've got a NAS with Samba and snapshots (I do). I would assume most NAS devices you can buy would offer something similar? (I don't know, I don't buy home NAS devices, I build them).

If you just want "previous version" stuff on a single home machine with no network, you can just use a USB3 attached spindle disk for cheap. That's built in to the OS already and very simple to configure. You can happily by a desktop 3.5" spindle disk from OfficeWorks that's much larger than your internal SSD, and pretty damned cheap. Tell Win11 to store previous versions on that, and let it do it's thing in the background.

Alternatively, write you robocopy script to round-robin itself. I create 7 folders, Sunday to Saturday, and copy each day into those. It's not as sexy as more frequent snapshots, but it's not bad for low end home backup where you've got a 7 day window of files to restore from.

Alternatively, send it to the cloud. I send about 600GB of backups to BackBlaze which costs me somewhere in the range of $3 a month, and lets me mandate retention policies (I tell it to delete/modify nothing for 14 days, so it keeps versions of changed things for me).

Wasabi is another alternative, clocking in at about AUD$ 103 per year for 1TB. And of course you've got Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive and the rest if you have a custom domain attached to those. Factor in the costs of buying storage per year, paying to power that storage, maintaining that storage, upgrading/replacing it if it dies or gets too small, and a few bucks on a cheap cloud provider become pretty viable pretty quickly.

Don't fall in the trap that your only cloud storage option is AWS. They're about 10x the price of BackBlaze and Wasabi. Shop around. You might find the dollar cost is even less than what you'd pay all up to manage it yourself at home on a physical disk.

17. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Pretty sure SyncThing does versioning. I don't use it as such, but I'm sure I saw it in the options when I was setting it up. No love for nextcloud? I've been contemplating giving it a run, instead of paying for Onedrive and Google Drive.
    I have 3 windows 11 PC's running now, weirdly my main PC is the only one that is actually fully compatible, but MS still won't give it!

I recently setup a VaultWarden server, I highly rate it!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  18. Will S

Will S Member

How to get rid of things like Onedrive , Chat and Teams permanently? I have disabled Chat but cant find Microsoft teams ..

edit: found teams, its an app by itself so that has gone

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

OneDrive is now integrated since Win10 iirc. I think you can only choose to disable the service from startup if memory serves me right.

20. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

You might not be able to remove ALL such things permamently, per se, but you can disable them from running on startup.