1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. kogi

kogi Member

I thought 12th gen needs win 11 to sort out threads between e and p cores?

2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Speaking as someone who uses a dozen different operating systems every week (types as well as versions) - same. The UI is there to launch your tool of choice, then you get on with life.

All this whining over minor cosmetic changes demonstrates to me (a) how many people are stuck in a single environment their entire lives, and (b) how many people seemingly just stare at their start bar all day.

My entire job revolves around being flexible enough to jump between vastly different environments and systems without slowing down. Gives me a proper chuckle when I think how a few folks in here would have a melt down in that situation.

millsy likes this.
  3. randomman

randomman Member

Yep. All good now just make sure you've got the AGESA 1207 BIOS update. I still had some much smaller micro-stutters when I updated to 1207 but it's been a few weeks and it seems smooth as butter now.

4. Trizae

Trizae Member

5. bym007

bym007 Member

Do many people setup their Win11 (or Win10 etc) accounts using Microsoft online accounts, or just create local accounts ?
    I understand that signing up using online account would allow seamless integration with MS online services, One Drive, Teams etc.
    Am I missing anything here ?

I have never setup an online account, just prefer local accounts, out of old habits, so wondering if there is any potential benefits in doing so.

6. Trizae

Trizae Member

Keeps your UE (User experience) seperate from any other accounts and defaults to administrator privilege's by default when you keep it local online is exactly as you're assuming and seamless integration for everything else

Here's a brief rundown if you want to see what's what: https://www.lifewire.com/local-vs-microsoft-accounts-in-windows-3507003

7. elvis

Online Microsoft account.

No different to an Apple iCloud or Google account on your phone, which everyone has been doing for years and been perfectly happy with it.

[edit] Worth mentioning of course I don't use Windows for anything of substance, merely testing things for my customers and/or making the occasional how-to video for Windows users.

Where I value privacy in my life, I use an OS that actually respects my privacy. Because making that switch is trivial, and anyone who claims it isn't but still complains about their privacy needs a reality check.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    rg144 likes this.
  8. rg144

rg144 Member

Desktop- local; have no need for online ms services.

For Laptop Win11- I made the switch to online. I know this flies in the face of the local admins basking in their glory days of total control (I used to be one of them), but I found life easier usingg an online account when on the go/portable.

9. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, I quit fighting the system and switched to a Microsoft account.
    Given I have a couple of Hotmail addresses and stuff like UNI accounts are technically Microsoft accounts, it was constantly trying to link itself to the wrong things.
    At least now I know exactly where it stands and can get on with life.

10. bym007

bym007 Member

In my use case, I found it easier to have local account, as laptop is sometimes used by daughter to make or print school assignment, and (very occasionally by) Mrs. bym007.
    Sharing the laptop would require me to share my MS password with others, which is not very practical, when the password happens to be 20 characters of all sorts.

Think I am not missing "much".

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

GitHub - valinet/ExplorerPatcher: This project aims to enhance the working environment on Windows
    All features · valinet/ExplorerPatcher Wiki · GitHub

JSmith

bym007 likes this.
  12. tompee

tompee Member

Android doesn't force you to have a gmail account to at least log in.

None of the main operating systems are very privacy focused but the standard you walk past is the standard you accept. The trend is going in the opposite direction I value and I reserve my right to be irked by the arrogance of these companies to be as entitled as they are with my privacy.

I have a local Win11 account only. Did it by switching off router halfway through the setup process

13. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

I used a Microsoft account regarding my Daughter's school laptop and added her to my account as a family member so I could control what she does and doesn't have access to. The irony is that I had to block her ability to access any URL related to logging into a Microsoft account as there was nothing stopping her from logging into her own account and adjusting her age to bypass age restrictions.

14. elvis

Rufus continues adding interesting options to it's bootable USB creator:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-11s-microsoft-account-requirements-and-more/

Latest version allows:

* Removal TPM 2.0 checks
    * Only offers offline account creation
    * Remove disk and RAM minimum requirement checking
    * Remove all privacy questions, set defaults to most private options

Who knows how long this cat-and-mouse game will work, but interesting to see people fighting tooth and nail. Still makes me wonder where efforts would be better spent - trying to fight the "800 lbs gorilla" that is Microsoft, or trying to improve functionality in alternatives who would gladly take more community help.

millsy likes this.
  15. PureFire

PureFire Member

Just keep using W10. No fighting required

16. elvis

You might want to read the tears and tantrums in the Win10 thread (not to mention the classic "I'm sticking with Win7" thread, which was even juicier). Advertising in your start bar and other features that have crept into recent updates have annoyed countless people.

Not to mention there's a hard deadline of 2025 for Win 10. What's the plan after that? Use unpatched software live on the Internet? That's not very smart. Use Win 11? Sounds like you're just prolonging the inevitable.

The countdown clock is set for 3 years from now. Or are we doing the usual thing and only looking a few weeks ahead?

Again, I ask people - where should the long term effort go, given that effort is a finite resource. Should it go to fighting Microsoft? Or should it go to helping alternatives become better? Or a third option, and one that's better than "do nothing, and panic when the timer hits zero".

millsy likes this.
  17. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Keep using XP? :)

millsy, bym007 and elvis like this.
  18. elvis

millsy and flu!d like this.
  19. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'll move to Windows 11 when Windows 12 comes out, and I will have very fond memories of 12 when 13 comes out.

This is the dadtech way.

millsy, BurningFeetMan and elvis like this.
  20. PureFire

PureFire Member

I will do the same thing I did when moving from 7 to 10. Wait till its actually needed, by then all the problematic issues have an easy workaround and you arent a beta tester for years.