1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My career took an upward trajectory when I stopped using Windows. Which is why I'm always amused when people so passionately tell me Windows is "the only option". :)

2. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

OMG this!! for example, there is two display settings, one is the old style Control panel and one is the windows 10 version.
    then there two version of mouse control etc. Da faq?

mAJORD likes this.
  3. fnp

fnp Member

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I think there's going to be a flood of demand on TPM chips.
    I've run the compatibility checker, and am getting "can't run Windows 11". The only thing I can see in the requirements that I might be lacking is TPM 2.0.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This one made me laugh, as I've seen it happen thousands of times in businesses over the years (and not just in the Windows 95 days):

"""
    All but the most advanced users did not understand how to manage overlapping windows efficiently. Beginners had the most trouble-when they minimized a window, they considered it “gone” if it was obscured by another window. We heard many stories from educators (and witnessed in the lab) how users caused the computer to run out of RAM by starting multiple copies of a program instead of switching back to the first copy.
    """

There really is no such thing as an intuitive interface.

[edit] And in news that's sure to cause kerfuffle, Windows 11 will allow users to run Android apps natively. The great desktop/mobile/cloud merge continues for both mainstream desktop systems (macOS too). Absolutely a sign of where things are headed.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. Straferight

Straferight Member

Where would one look to find this pre-release version? I'm keen to give the new features a trial.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Sign up to windows insider , and you can get the early builds.. supposedly soon as next week.

If you're really desperate I'm sure youll find the ISO of the old leaked early build somewhere

8. kogi

kogi Member

crud, TPM mandatory for win 11

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Hmmmm Windows 11 while the world is in the biggest vaccination drive in human history, coincidence?

10. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

This will make windows 11 a non-starter. Neither my 2yo Z390 system or my 2yo Surface GO support TPM version 2, which is required for windows 11.

I won't be upgrading, and I bet that the majority of windows 10 users won't be as well.

11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Direct Storage is probably the thing I'm keen to see utilised the most. It would have been cool if they could have somehow brought over the quick resume feature employed in the new Xbox consoles but I'm sure PCs are a much more complicated environment for that.

Auto HDR might be cool too, it seems to get a good wrap on consoles. I like playing with new toys so I will probably give it a go once it rolls out to insiders.

12. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Project Astoria would be good for revival, at Desktop level.

13. bcann

bcann Member

Shit i see this with my users (Medical) who don't know how to use hide cell in excel, and minimise the damn thing so much it is practically hidden...

Yep agree, having grown up in DOS. it is what we learn as we grow up to a certain age.

I think this is an admission (Hedged bets) From MS that the MS Store sucks and will never gain any ground.

Personally, i think MS is just about reaching its peak, having been run by basically accountants to absolutely maximise profits, and just like companies that have wrung every cent out of things, if the fall is coming in the next decade or so due to lack of investment. Yes i am sure people will go nope, not the case, and yes there will likely be a few more years of profit wringing from them, but it seems now they are stopping development and accepting alternate platforms onto there own as a sign of them no longer investing into their own. will be interesting to look back in a decades time. It seems more like MS is just become glue in the background and that is easy to replace.

14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

GDavid and mAJORD like this.
  15. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

So, I managed to turn on intel TTP in my PC bios, and now it's compatible. The Surface GO is not. Microsoft not following their own advice.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Realistically, TPM support, and DX12 support are going to be the killers for older systems. Both becoming problematic around the 2014-2016 timeframe..

IGP's before Haswell and Kaveri aren't DX12 (~2014) . And mobo's for those platforms would be borderline TPM 2.0 compatabile - likely only later ones ~2015-2016

Discrete GPUS go s back to Fermi and Hawaii based (2010-2011)

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Zenskas likes this.
  18. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Looks like you are right, I'm sure it just needs to be enabled in UEFI before upgrading.

It does appear like many older systems will be killed off through lack of support, but to be fair Win 10 gets continual support to Oct 2025. By then only the machines around 10+ years old will be unsupported which is reasonable.

Reading up there is TPM support built into many processors released over the past couple generations so for those it doesn't require motherboard TPM modules. Any of these from AMD or Intel otherwise a TPM 2.0 module on motherboard ought to do the trick :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  19. randomman

randomman Member

20. kogi

kogi Member