1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. lennie

lennie Member

Not sure its better. But i like it a bit more than 10. Subjective of course. Aside from the chrome issue on one pc, making logins and a bit of bloat like messenger app etc. all else is ok imo. It only takes 4 clicks to copy and paste a file.

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'd say opinions will still be quite polar. Best bet is to install it to a VM and get a feel for it yourself. Unless it has something you need/want that isn't and won't be on Windows 10, then stay on Windows 10.

There's still a few basic things that were removed that should not have, and are taking time to be reintroduced, such as drag and drop to an app on its taskbar icon...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022 at 10:38 PM
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No. It never did, to my knowledge.

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

so just to circle back.. for some reason, even though i tried this before (maybe not in admin mode perhaps?), i was able to FINALLY delete the pdf file using "del /f filename"

i was seriously going to format the laptop because it was annoying me, but i couldn't find the charger for it

5. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

I installed it on an old PC for bro early this year, and basically copy and paste isnt on the default right click menu anymore, only on the drop down menu. Maybe a recent update has changed it but from memory this was the process---

Click 1) right click
    Click 2) click drop menu...zz scroll down
    Click 3) click copy

Click 4) right click
    Click 5) click drop menu, scroll again
    Click 6) click paste

So 6 clicks technically plus the additional second to find the copy/paste in the drop menu. SO F***IN ANNOYING

6. elvis

It's an icon at the top of the context menu, not a word.

* Right click -> copy icon
    * Right click -> paste icon

Done. No sub menu / extra clicks needed. Just gotta teach an old dog new tricks.

Click+Ctrl and drag also works for copy (click+shift and drag moves).

Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V also works for copy (Ctrl+X/Ctrl+V for cut/move).

Ctrl+Ins for copy, Shift+Ins for paste too.

Look at this little Linux guy go, teaching all these Windows kids Windows things. What a world we live in.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022 at 9:44 PM
    power likes this.
  7. Audionut

Audionut Member

At the top of the right click menu are items. I wonder what they do. :tongue:

8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Is there any way to have the name under the icons in explorer?
    It's so good having them but sometimes i look at it and somehow get them mixed up still (more so when RDP'ing from a tablet)

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Got my new nvme SSD yesterday. Have swapped out my Windows 10 nvme for it to see how my rig handles Windows 11. So far silky smooth. Will see how it copes with my gaming. Not stress testing, but just how it handles them. My video card is AMD, so have also gone straight to driver 22.7.1 which is currently Optional but touted to be a vast improvement over 22.5.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

There's a number of basic things Windows 11 is currently lacking. One thing overdue to be re-released is drag and drop via taskbar icons. Your issue might be alongside it.

11. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

I don't remember seeing any icon on top of the right click menu...it was just a normal menu...with no copy of paste and only saw them in the drop down menu. Maybe I had a different version of win 11.

As for the keyboard shortcuts...yes I know them but prefer to use the mouse.

12. elvis

Cut-Copy-Paste-Rename-Delete-Share-Windows-11.png

Keyboard shortcuts make life so much easier for common tasks. If I didn't have those, my computing life would be hell.

I can't stand watching slow coworkers futz around with mouse controls, taking three times as long to do things. Maddening.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022 at 9:43 PM
  13. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

That's a completely different menu to what I had. Click on 'show more options" and screen shot that for me if you dont mind.

14. elvis

There are copy/paste text items in deeper menus, but the icon options are there at the top level.

No need for your 6 clicks.

If you WANT to click on text items only, that's cool, your choice. But the icons are there in the top level.

15. Will S

Will S Member

I know they are there but so used to having it in the main little window.....hard to break habits and there is no need for developers to do that......except they are sadist who want to piss us off