1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 11 modern standby?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by demiurge3141, May 21, 2022.

1. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Just bought a new laptop and seriously just what the fuck is this modern standby bullshit? The fans keep spinning when the laptop 'sleeps', laptop gets hot and battery drains real fast. Worst of all, there is no way to get back the old S3 sleep. Who the fuck in MS thought this is acceptable?

2. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

3. randomman

randomman Member

I just had fun reading about this a week ago when I decided I had to learn why my work laptop was sleeping but still doing shit. I suspect it's an improvement for Enterprise customers, and retail customers just have to deal with it. You're probably dealing with some vendor bloat that isn't optimized for Modern Standy (S0). You likely have two options, check UEFI for a ACPI sleep option see if you can set it to S3 (Legacy standby) or reinstall a vanilla copy of Windows 11 that hopefully doesn't have bloat or shitware causing multiple bad wakes.

PS. It's not Windows 11, this was in Windows 10 too. I just don't think hardware vendors were enabling it in firmware settings then.