Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

[​IMG]
    Windows 11 has been announced by Microsoft with an expected release date in October 2021. It will be a free update for anyone currently on Windows 10.

Edit: Upgrade to the New Windows 11 OS | Microsoft

[​IMG]

Windows 11 is an upcoming major version of the Windows NT operating system developed by Microsoft that was announced on June 24, 2021, and is the successor to Windows 10, which was released in 2015. Windows 11 will be available on October 5, 2021, as a free upgrade to some compatible Windows 10 devices through Windows Update.

Windows 11, the first major Windows release since 2015, builds upon its predecessor by revamping the user interface to follow Microsoft's new Fluent Design guidelines. The redesign, which focuses on ease of use and flexibility, comes alongside new productivity and social features and updates to security and accessibility, addressing some of the deficiencies of Windows 10.

EDIT: Windows 11 has now been officially released.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

If that's all it is, it should have just been a feature update.

Having taskbar items in the middle ala-mac looks stupid, and they've just made the start button act like a homepage on an android phone, where you can then go to the next page to see all apps.

Rest of everything looks the same. A new version for tiny UI adjustments is a bit dramatic.. hopefully there's more to come.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

First thoughts iOS. On the face of it it looks like an just a Win10 update. Early days yet though, things can change quite a bit from early os releases.

4. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Most likely it will have kernel updated to handle Intel's coming big little approach in its new architecture.

5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

There's literally nothing different in that POC screenshot that wouldn't already exist on Windows 10...

thecondor and sammy_b0i like this.
  6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Looks more like some of the linux distro's I download and play around with every now and then a mac imitation.

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I think that people forget that GUI wise things don't change an awful lot from one OS version to the next so I don't know why people are surprised by the lack of change. Besides Windows 95 and you could probably argue Windows 8 (although the "old" GUI was still somewhat there behind the tiles) each version has only really seen small changes to fit the style of the time and make gradual improvements to the usability of the GUI.

It's under the hood where the real changes take place and that's what I'm more interested in hearing about before passing judgement.

adz, breno and damo13579 like this.
  8. randomman

randomman Member

As an ultrawide user I would disagree. Currently using TaskbarX but would be nice to have native support.

I'll bet my left nut that they're removing a lot of legacy code that was holding their development back. Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 (then 2026 etc) for Enterprise users for those vendors that still list Windows 2000 as a requirement.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

personal choice.. if you don't like it, move it

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

But how else do Marketing earn their annual bonuses?

sammy_b0i likes this.
  11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I very much hope so!

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've used Windows enough to know never bet any body part on it.

MrSnuffy likes this.
  13. elvis

I sincerely hope you're right, but 25+ years of professional Microsoft product management has taught me that "enterprise shitware" is a heavy ball and chain Microsoft will always struggle to get rid of.

If there's one thing businesses are great it, it's rejecting change and/or throwing massive tantrums when pushed to embrace change.

As above, you have options, and you can embrace change if you don't like any given vendor you work with. Especially in an all-cloud world, the desktop is less important than ever. Exercise your ability to change, and tell shitty vendors to go jump.

As I said countless times in the Windows 10 thread - complaining about Microsoft and continuing to use their product does nothing to show them your anger. You paid the license, and that's all they heard.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    clonex and randomman like this.
  14. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Had a play with it last night to see some stuff for the eventual roll out at work, I dont mind the look but the start menu needs to go back to the left lol. No IE is interesting, Trident still getting support and usable through Edge Emulation mode, but we have had some issues getting that to work right in our testing so will need to get that sorted.

15. RnR

RnR Member

Apparently it can be activated with a win 7 key.

M1ck1 likes this.
  16. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Marketing, plus oh wow, you have windows 10? sorry mate, we don't support that hardware anymore, time to buy all new shit intel goodies.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yep removing all the windows legacy and using WSL as the kernel. ;)

PS - reminds me a Ubuntu Gnome.

18. mjunek

mjunek Member

As of the 21H1 update on Windows 10, you can uninstall it completely. It's not just an icon removal like previous versions.

Sipheren likes this.
  19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

IE is in EOL phase, so it only makes sense to not implement anything to do with it.

20. elvis

How is "exercise your right to change products and vendors" seen as "angry"? This is consumer 101.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    MrSnuffy, Ck21 and inoshiro like this.