Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Discovered that one my USB Flash Drives had died (detects in the Disk Manager but is listed as RAW and won't format) and while checking on two different PC's to confirm it was dead I found Windows 10/11 seemed to be handling it differently.

Windows 10 simply wouldn't come up at all in Explorer as I expected, Windows 11 however was telling me that my 16GB USB Flash Drive is a CloudMesh Gateway. Okaaaaayyyyyy...... Remove the flash drive and it disappears.

upload_2021-8-7_7-52-28.png

Edit: Seems to have corrected itself as after checking it in the Windows 10 PC and wanting to see it happen again on my Windows 11 PC it now no longer brings it up. *shrugs*

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

3. 151528

151528 Member

This again...

"Aww no, they want to encourage me to use their product within their product.. how dare they!"

Just like google constantly advertises chrome to you everywhere there's google ads or on any google product when you're not using chrome...

Also didn't we have to change individual default file associations away from windows media player?

4. Recharge

Recharge Member

so making it harder and harder is just "encouragement" is it?
    and yes, we did have to individually change them away, and then M$ had it's arse fined heavily for anti competitive behaviour.
    and it changed back.
    just like it did the last time they "encouraged" people to use their browser in the 90's

5. Audionut

Audionut Member

Good to see the verge is into writing novels about pretty standard behavior.

6. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I like the way Edge is set as the default handler for .PDF files by default.

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

What should it be set to?

It makes sense if there isn't a pdf viewer installed....

8. flu!d

It should be set to nothing considering Outlook won't open PDF's with Edge set as the default. Really no different to Windows 7.

9. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I mean outlook is totally preinstalled right? So that totally makes sense...

Mail opens pdfs in Edge fine, not sure what your point is tbh.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I can only assume it is from this angle, in that MS have been handed large fines in the past (most the EU) for prepackaging their own software with Windows. I guess the user should maybe be asked whether they would like to use Edge for PDF's or install a 3rd party application to do so. 2c

JSmith

11. 2SHY

2SHY Member

People are to use whatever pdf viewer they want. Just like they are free to use whatever operating system they want.

You can also change the default PDF viewer if you want too as well.

Edge happens to be a decent pdf viewer.

12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

At this point, by that logic you may as well ask the user if they'd like to install X software everytime the system starts it cuts out the whole 'choice' thing.

The user has the choice of installing it, I dont think they need to be asked to install it if they want to. Microsoft include a browser in their OS (as pretty much most os' out there do) and they've defaulted a proprietry file format to their browser to assist users.

[​IMG]

2SHY likes this.
  13. flu!d

You see the problem is that the location to change the software used by default regarding file extensions is burred in Windows, and that's no mistake on behalf of MS. I can assure you beyond all doubt, the average user has no idea how to just 'use whatever PDF viewer they want'. Furthermore, it's not like Adobe Reader has the ability to change the default software used on install as was the case under Windows 7.

I don't get it, and I never mentioned Linux. The fact proprietary operating systems include their own proprietary browsers bundled with the OS by default is part of the problem here...

There you go, now I've referenced Linux. As packaged distro's usually only come with Chromium or Firefox by default, neither of which is proprietary. Why is it Microsoft wants you using their browser so bad do you think?

14. Audionut

Audionut Member

Then they sure as shit can't change program defaults, regardless of setting location.

Every single software I have used has been capable of assigning file preferences. I can't understand this statement at all.

So the issue isn't bundled software, presumably you would be fine with a bunch of FOSS, but only proprietary software.....

Why does anyone want you to use their shit! A little more depth would be nice.

Dilbery likes this.
  15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Edge is a fucking horrible browser and pdf viewer... also defaults to Bing search. :lol:

JSmith

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

In what way?

Seems to be performant enough. The defaults like that horrid news screen are awful, but can at least be configured back to some level of sanity (I prefer "sensible defaults", but at least these can be fixed).

Is there something else people dislike? I don't use it enough to know the big differences between it and Chrome/Chromium that it's based on.

17. flu!d

My biggest problem with Edge is: Why are Microsoft pushing it so hard? Why do I have to be sure when I just want to change the default from something other than Edge when it's supposed to be based on Chromium?

As you can probably tell, I'm a Firefox user. ;)

Out of everything you quoted, this is the only one I thought I'd even bother to reply to. In order to find the point to my original comment, feel free to surmise.

18. elvis

I assume the usual: monitoring user behaviour for long term profit.

But hell, if you genuinely care about privacy, you're not going to use Windows. But if you're all in on Microsoft and things like O365, the integration with Edge works well (ditto for Google Workplace with Chrome).

The good thing is we all have choice for any of these options. Which is why I find pages and pages of long term Windows users wailing about all this so amusing. If you don't like it, switch. "Shit, or get off the pot".

All of these points here I why I happily roll out Windows for multiple businesses, and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for my personal needs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    miicah and flu!d like this.
  19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

It seems to take up more system resources than Chrome and also seems to stall more often that others on legacy websites (that sorely need updating), long running script errors etc.

JSmith

20. elvis

Sounds like a pretty easy thing to benchmark for objective numbers. There are numerous sites that test compatibility and rendering speed, and you can monitor memory usage while using it.

Do people still care enough to benchmark web browsers any more? Used to be a popular thing.