Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Audionut

Audionut Member

I think there's 4 fundamental issues.

1. Facebook (and google really) have shown that people will freely give their personal data if they feel they are getting something free in return. People clearly don't understand, or simply don't care, they are trading free beer for free speech. I personally think there should be some oversight to ensure the people's data is not being used to actively circumvent security measures, even though that responsibility should ultimately lie with the individual, but otherwise, who gives a shit. Is the fact that you piss on the left hand side of the bowl really that private important! If people will readily give up their security question answers so that everyone knows what they had for breakfast 4 years ago, how old their children are and who was their first fuck buddy, then just maybe, some AI telling them what to buy is actually a good thing.
    2. People like to complain Karen, sheeesh, where have you been!
    3. I suspect that you have a misguided view regarding the extent of people's feelings towards Windows in general, vs Windows 11, suddenly. Refer back to 2.
    4. You can't see past your own bias. "That's an interesting way to interpret being on the customer's side".

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I agree that this is very much the status quo. It's clear that the "apathetic user" demographic (and I don't use that in the pejorative sense - to many people it's just a tool like any other), are the majority.

My words here are to the specific minority in this thread who are complaining about the changes. I'd say these folks are 1% or fewer of Microsoft's overall market. But my question to them remains - what are they going to do now?

And to the other 99%, instead of having a go at me for suggesting the 1% who aren't happy seek alternatives, what is your advice to those 1%?

Every time I ask the question, it's avoided, and I can't understand why. So I ask bluntly: what do those who are happy with Windows 11 suggest to existing Windows customers who do not like Windows 11?

I'm also perfectly fine with this being your opinion. But thus far there's been a lot of energy expended on the countering the opinion suggesting "try an alternative", rather than answering the initial question of the small volume of once-happy Microsoft customers who are less happy all of a sudden. It would seem more energy efficient to ignore me, and answer them instead.

Not at all. Numbers are numbers, and Microsoft has well over a billion customers. Nobody can argue with that.

As above, I'm certain that the people who are upset by changes in Windows 11 are the vast minority. I'm not telling the Windows 11 lovers to change. I'm asking those who are upset by Windows 11 (of which there are more than one in this thread) what their plans are moving forwards.

It sounds like you're one of the many who are happy with Windows 11. What's your advice to the few who aren't?

My "bias" is to use the free market and competition in favour of the customer. That's business 101, and certainly something that's made my own business (which helps other businesses succeed) successful.

Look at anything that's not software - for example, you want to extend your office space, and need some electrical work done. Do you use the one sparky that everyone else uses? Or do you go and get three quotes and decide based on a variety of factors (which may or may not result in you still selecting the popular option anyway, but at least you did your due diligence)?

There seems to be a mystical veil over software where we stop doing our due diligence, and we just go with the status quo (not limited to Microsoft - work in the creative spaces, and you get the same sort of thing with Adobe and similar "poor but default" software in other industries). And once again, if you're a willing and happy Microsoft customer like the 1 billion + people who are, neat. But there are voices in this thread who are displeased with the upcoming changes. What is your advice to them? Shut up and take it? Or do you suggest they at least investigate an alternative? Or do you genuinely think that...

... And they're just having a pointless whinge?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  3. Audionut

Audionut Member

So are you, over, and over, and over again.

horse.PNG

MR CHILLED likes this.
  4. elvis

So my comment was "everyone avoids the question being asked", and you avoided the question being asked. Neat.

I wonder if anyone will answer it? Or if it'll just be more throwing ad hominem about while MR CHILLED continues to like posts that poorly attempt to take the piss out of me, rather than engaging me himself in constructive argument.

The floor is open. Who wants to throw a suggestion out to those disappointed by Windows 11?

5. 151528

151528 Member

I mean this in the nicest possible way.

You can't go around demanding conversation go only in the direction you want, especially when everyone has already heard what you have to say when it does go that way, and then be surprised when people don't want to engage

Audionut and MR CHILLED like this.
  6. elvis

Point taken. I guess I'm just perplexed.

So far we've had, on a forum of 118,000 members, arguably most of whom are Windows users:

~6 users: "Windows 11 looks like it's going to suck because <reasons>"

~2 different users: "So try an alternative?"

~2 different users again: "Shut up Linux users"

MR CHILLED : *Clicks like*

That's just a progression I don't understand. And my intention is not "demand a conversation only go in one direction". I'd love for it to go *anywhere*, not just ignoring people who raise concerns or criticising people who offer suggestions. I think those handful of users with concerns deserve better than being ignored. So far the "anti-Windows" crowd have offered a suggestion, but the "pro-Windows" crowd have not, other than to tell the former to shut up (ignoring the poor souls who started this thread of conversation).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  7. fnp

fnp Member

I'd be happy if, with the next major iterarion of Windows, instead of focusing on gimmicks, they could just make it function it a consistent, logical, coherent and intuitive manner. And if they must do UI tweaks, it'd be nice if they actually looked nice too instead of like a Fisher Price toy from the 80s, but it shouldn't be the priority.

What I want from an OS is for it to do its job of allowing me to get shit done without getting in the way and being infuriating - then after that, get out of the way. The saying about a good butler being one that's invisible most of the time comes to mind.

8. Audionut

Audionut Member

No one ignored the people expressing their concerns.

People provided differing points of view regarding those concerns, and one person made every attempt to focus the discussion on how he thinks people should deal with their concerns. The only person who has criticised people for providing differing suggestions is you.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I agree, yet Windows OS' are often far from this goal... every new release drains system resources heavily. It's like they come up with new ways to bog down a system so people upgrade their hardware... oh wait that is exactly what is done;

[​IMG]

Is Win11 an exception to this trend? Genuine question.

JSmith

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Those who are disappointed by Windows 11 will do the same thing they did when Windows 10 was different...

Bitch about it on Forums
    Complain to anyone who will listen
    Remain on their old OS until something makes them upgrade.
    Upgrade
    Bitch about it on Forums.
    Install shit.exe and change random registry entries until $new look like $old
    Complain on Forums about how $feature doesn't work (because of the aforementioned shit.exe and registry entries)
    Accept it until Windows <+1> is released
    GOTO TOP

151528 likes this.
  11. elvis

This thread agrees 100% with you:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/gone-back-to-win-7.1244186/

151528 likes this.
  12. connico

connico Member

1. For those that don't like 11, stick with 10 till they stop support. Should be 4 years from EOL announcements. You got plenty of time

2. Let them whinge, its a god (lol) given right! :p

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

elvis likes this.
  14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

You forgot OS/2...

JSmith

15. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

16. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I'm pretty sure that I am in the 1% of users you are referring to so maybe I can answer your question. I am one of those who don't like new versions of Windows and the reason that we don't like being told to try an alternative is that that would make the problem even worse. The alternative will be less like our beloved old Windows than the new Windows would be.
    All we want is to have the internals of the new Windows with the look and feel of the old. We want to be able to upgrade and have the PC look and act exactly as it did before with all programs, settings and features in the same place and working the same as before. For me personally, this is almost the entirety of my complaints.
    There is no solution for us because for some reason Microsoft doesn't want us using the old interface. And so, we will continue to use the old version till we are literally forced to upgrade when things like compatible drivers become impossible to find. Then we upgrade and spend ages finding and installing third party programs that make the new version look and feel like the old. Fortunately there are some good ones out there even if they aren't 100% accurate to the old Windows interface.

krappo and elvis like this.
  17. elvis

Well first off, thank you for taking the time to explain your position.

I cherry picked that one line out of your post, because I think it's a complex topic when we talk at Microsoft's scale - both their company internally, and the sheer size of their userbase. "Microsoft" isn't a single entity. It's thousands of people with, collectively, millions of ideas on how things should look, feel, behave, etc when it comes to computing. A great deal of those people probably weren't even born when the first Windows version came out.

User interfaces have to be the single most difficult thing in computing, I think. And not because of the "interface" part - moving icons and borders and buttons around is simple, but because of the "user" part. Microsoft's greatest challenge is their 1 billion+ customers, all of whom are incredibly diverse, and want different things. Even more challenging when some of those users grew up on DOS and Windows 3.11, and some grew up on iPads, but all are Microsoft customers. How do you keep them all happy at the same time, without literally creating a dozen different user interfaces?

I guess my next question is, what was your favourite Windows version? Was it a case of "I liked XP and everything else sucked?" Or did you find you slowly got used to new versions after a while? And what are you running currently?

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

To solve this, why on Earth can't MS just make the interface customisable, as in completely... the OS could come with tool to do this.

It is understandable people get the shits when things are moved or altered.

When I install a changed OS, the first thing I do is find where all the regular system items are and familiarise myself with same. I have no issue doing this, but would also prefer not to have to.

JSmith

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because then it becomes unsupportable.

I as an application creator, put things in a menu bar in my application
    You as a user, have chose to 'customise' your interface and hidden the menu bar.

Now you bitch on forums about why my application is shit.

20. 151528

151528 Member

It's friday and I'm too lazy to engage in much of the other conversation, but I'll add some stats for you

I enjoyed xp thoroughly, and after playing with vista, stayed on xp until moving to 7, which has probably been my favourite iteration of windows (partly due to my acceptance of time moving forward beyond the 90's)

I use windows 10 reluctantly at the moment, never feeling quite happy with how it's set up, and with the intention of looking into windows ltsc, but my machine is mostly used for gaming and forums so there's not much personal stuff to nab currently (I don't use social media)

elvis likes this.