Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by the_antipop, Jun 16, 2021.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Well you can't have it, so roll back. Otherwise, again, I doubt you'll notice any difference at all unless you're staring at benchmark numbers all day.

Trizae likes this.
  2. Trizae

Trizae Member

3. Murfit

Murfit Member

But you forgot all the new features you get with this new beaut OS like rounded corners and no longer the BSOD it comes in a new shade of black and how everything is dumbed down. Geez it's hard to please everyone.

4. OJR

OJR Member

:) I rolled back yesterday. I have clean installs down pat. It literally takes me 2 hours to reinstall all my apps.

5. sammy_b0i

Nah, I have a lot of good experiences with OJR. He hated CJ as much as I did, so he gets my respect for that.

flu!d and Trizae like this.
  6. OJR

OJR Member

And Sammy has not banned me enough times that I have lots of respect for him. :lol:

sammy_b0i and Trizae like this.
  7. Trizae

Trizae Member

hahaha I know lads I'm just taking the piss this morning, as you were :)

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

Never heard of drive images?

Then it would only take 20 mins maybe...

9. Supersize

Supersize Member

Ok, I bit the bullet.
    Performance is pretty much the same on my 10900k, run a few benchmarks before upgrading, 1-2fps difference which is within margin of error.

The start menu is still shitting me, I thought I could get some more real estate by turning off "recommended items", but all it did was clear the list and left a huge blank spot taking up ½ the first start menu page causing me to have to still scroll through the pinned items.

What moron at MS thought that was a good idea ffs.

10. sammy_b0i

Windows key to open the start menu, start typing the name of what you want to open, press enter... ?

Don't even have to look at it.

sic_vl2000 likes this.
  11. Supersize

Supersize Member

So here's the missed point, if I'm using my mouse, with the Windows 10 start, I would click the start button, everything was there on the right I needed, no need to type, so removing my hand from the mouse to the keyboard to hit the start button then type breaks the momentum when you're working. :thumbup:

It's a small gripe, but one easily fixed by letting you properly turn off "Recommended/History", giving you more space.
    2021-10-14 09_55_03-.png

12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I can't remember the last time I clicked the start button with my mouse personally, at least the search function in start is pretty snappy now.

Patches incoming for AMD latency/scheduling fixes on the 19/10 and 21/10 apparently. Hopefully that irons it out for the 3 people who ran aida64 and noticed it :lol:

13. Supersize

Supersize Member

Imagine this a Surface Studio 2 in drawing mode, keyboard hidden, 1/2 the pinned apps are hidden because the recommended section is stupidly big.
    Figure it's something Microsoft never considered :lol:

jjjc_93 likes this.
  14. OJR

OJR Member

I like to keep drivers and software up to date. I don't want an out of date image that I then have to update once installed.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Typing? Jeez, next thing you'll be telling me to use the command line like some stinking Linux hippie.

I'm a busy man, I don't have time to let go of my mouse.

Supersize likes this.
  16. sammy_b0i

Well do I have a Microsoft "on-screen keyboard" for you! We can bind it to a button on the mouse and you'll never have to let go again!

Supersize and elvis like this.
  17. rthy

rthy Member

i hear macs are good for those keyboard less interactions

18. Supersize

Supersize Member

Nah, no right click without hitting control :lol:

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

Something something Ryzen 2000 nerfed in Win 11.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any issue on my 5800X.

20. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Seeing game benchmarks from users that put Win 11 below 10 in average and 1% low framerates on Ryzen after the bugged update. This makes a lot of sense as AMD has that big cache which is a boon for games. The preferred core scheduling bug would also impact games that rely more heavily on single threaded performance. It's minor between 0-5%, but it shouldn't be ignored given the latency and single threaded improvements AMD have been pushing hard gen on gen.

Patches oughta fix next week but it's a bit slack - almost as if Microsoft didn't do much QC for Ryzen platforms. But that wouldn't be a surprise given the history with preferred cores in the scheduler for Win 10 before they fixed that.

On the flipside, happy it was a free upgrade from 10. That $15 Win 8 Pro key I purchased from MS yonks ago should keep me on a supported OS ecosystem for years to come :thumbup:

I upgraded from Win 10 21H1 to Win 11 on launch and haven't noticed a major difference in general use aside from the new skin. I could have mistaken it for a big Win 10 21H2 update with some UI changes if I didn't know better!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021