Windows 2000 boot.ini

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by nego, Aug 19, 2002.

1. nego

nego Member

I accidently deleted boot.ini when fixing MBR, and I need to know what it should be for re-upload.

I origionally had Windows 98 on C and Linux on a second partition, but over-wrote the Linux partition with NTFS and put 2000 on there. Then (from 2000) i formatted C:, so that C: is games and D: is Win2k (E: is CDROM). What should my boot.ini look like (partition numbers etc)? Here is an example boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

2. driver

driver Member

Your Win2k system files are on the 2nd partition?

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition([b]2[/b])\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition([b]2[/b])\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

3. Bangers

Bangers Member

If your not sure about which partition your 2k install is on, put 4 extries into your boot.ini and this way, one of them will be it.

if you put 2 and its not it, youll be rooted and need to go to the extra effort of boot disk etc.

Just have the multiple entries and when you know exactly which one it is, just remove the rest.

4. Koopa

Koopa R.I.P.

i would say moving ur win2k over to ur C: would be best idea. use an image program or something, like norton ghost.

it should auto detect + load the OS, then automatically recreate the boot.ini file itself. if it doesnt u can go in the system properties + in there somewhere is ur boot options. change something like the timeout there + it would be forced to write that to the boot.ini or in this case recreate it.

also by running ur OS on D: its running alot slower cause ur C: uses however much of the first part of ur drive it needs then D: gets the rest. or whatever u set them to use. the start of the drive is the fastest as it starts from the outside of the platter then writes inwards getting slower as the hdd gets more full.

or if u dont wanna do that + dont know the code to the boot.ini then post in the wanted forums for soemone to get u a copy + edit the partition numbers for urself as needed :D