Windows 2000 is slow after Redhat install

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Chazza, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Chazza

Chazza Member

I split up my 45 Gb HDD into three partitions. The first two are C:\ and D:\ for Windows 2000 (FAT32). The third partition is where I just installed Redhat 7.3.

Everything is working fine with Redhat (well almost I have to use a floppy disk to boot up in RH for some reason), but now Windows 2000 runs like a dog.

When I try to access anything that lists the hard drives, like My Computer, Windows Explorer, Find, etc. it hangs for a few minutes.

I think is because previously that partition was a E:\ and now I removed it to create the Linux partition and Windows, the piece of shit, keeps looking for it. Does anybody know how to fix it so Windows will just get over it and show me two drives that are still there only?

2. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

format the drive...

fdisk 2 partitions (ie 1 of 30 gig or 2 or 15gig) making sure to leave the remaining space on the disk unpartitioned and unformatted...

Install Windows on the recognised C: partition (If you made a C: and D:, you could even install 98 on C: and 2K d: )...

When you install of Windows is done, restart the PC with the Redhat disc in the drive and install like normal except that when asked, let it use the remainig space on the disk and define its own partitions....

Use the GRUB boot loader, here you can tell it which os to boot at default... after installing Linux, it will reboot and load grub giving you an option to pick an OS, if you did a dual windows boot first, it will take you to the Windows boot loader....

See, piece of piss!

did you define the correct swap partitions etc for red hat ?
    PM if any Q's

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002