1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 2000 server ed.

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by markius, Feb 3, 2004.

1. markius

markius Member

Tell me, is Windows 2000 server eddition the single most useless piece of crap know to man kind. Since installing it a few months ago (only been home to use it for a few weeks) getting on hotmail is a lucky chance draw, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It displays no errors in loading the login page or anything, it simply says done in the lower left hand corner of the status bar yet the page is white. On the rare occasion that the bastard does decide to work everything is fine.

Other problems include not being able to copy and paste things from anywhere to anywhere else or click on links people have sent me via msn. If anyone knows why the hell this is happening i would really appriciate some advice.

(If your only advice is reinstal windows 98 then dont bother, thats my last resort but i would have to wait till i can get the disk from someone)

2. Quarters

Quarters Member

Solution: Get XP :)

3. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

It will run like a biatch on his 266mhz P2
    edit : at least we overclocked it to 333 :Pirate:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  4. OP
    OP
    markius

markius Member

nice thought but if my computer can run XP then ill be goddamned.

5. Quarters

Quarters Member

New Solution: New Computer

6. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Like that all in one mobo sitting on your desk that quarters gave you and that AMD duron 1.3ghz i gave u

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  7. OP
    OP
    markius

markius Member

ok, my first post was wrong, you two are the most useless pieces of crap known to man kind. People im after real advide hear... not "buy a new computer" i allready know i have to do that.

8. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

9. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

No....its a very good server operating system, not a desktop O/S

Sounds like you have some spyware somewhere , or it hasnt been tweaked to turn it into a desktop O/S

10. KookedGoose

KookedGoose Member

i don't know why others haven't asked.....why are u running 2000 Server anyway?? Other than thinking u are l33t or something, unless u have a reason for running DCHP,DNS and maybe an DC..... why??

At least run 2k Pro.

Kookedgoose

11. wired

wired Member

a better option is to go linux. theres plenty of info on distros out there so i wont go into that. but any of them should run pretty sweet on a p2

12. anlashok

anlashok Member

Win 2k Server Rocks - well for something from microsoft anyways.

considering a p133 is about the min required for alot of this stuff im not suprised a industrial server OS is having problems. the best thing for low powered servers to run is linux.

400mhz 128mb and up is what i would recommend for 2k and a little higher for xp - as it very hungry.

If you wish to keep 2k server on your machine, spend sometime reinstalling and setting the server up, disabling anything it doesnt need. certified drivers the lot. it will make a big difference on a slow box to speed and stability

13. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Its on his computer because a "professional" computer guy installed it and everything he said its better so it must be so :p If it was my choice I would just put Win98se on it, Avg adaware, spybot and you're basically done

14. OP
    OP
    markius

markius Member

ha ha ha jason you stooge..... it was no pro, just my cousin, and the only reason we put 2k server on was cause it was the only copy of windows he had on him that day.

15. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Oh ok, last time it was the pro though :p after i changed your hdd's from PIO mode to DMA mode then in bios then it was my fault it had 1000's hdd errors and BSOD it or "blow it up" as you say :confused: hrmmm explosive DMA mode :Pirate:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  16. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

Windows 2000 Server Edition is designed for, wait for it, servers. NOT desktops or workstations.

It gives priority to applications in different ways than Windows 2000 Professional does, and runs quite a few more services than the standard desktop/workstation requires. All of these things serve to make it a slower operating system for desktop/workstation use than Windows 2000 Professional.

How is it that you spent the thousands of dollars on Windows 2000 Server Edition rather than spending less than a thousand dollars on Windows 2000 Professional, the version which would suit your usage? Oh, let me guess, without knowing what you were doing, you "obtained" a copy of Win2K Server, and thinking "Hey, Server's better than Professional, right?", installed it onto your PC. Most likely, since you evidently don't know much about Windows, installing a whole pile of stuff that's just making your system run even worse.

Rather than bagging the crap out of what is a stable and, on the right hardware, doing the job it was intended to do, decently performing server operating system, perhaps you should look at yourself, and your own actions, and work on those.

EDIT: Oh, and I bet you haven't bothered patching it, either. You need Service Pack 4, and a whole pile of patches/updates to make a Win2K machine stable and secure. There's also anti-virus software to consider - which again needs to be kept up-to-date with virus definition updates. If you haven't downloaded and installed these patches, you're just adding to the whole Internet worm/virus problem, and making the Internet a worse place for the rest of us. Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004