1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 365 announced and yes dear god I wish this was a joke but it's not.

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by metamorphosis, Jul 15, 2021.

1. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Better late than never, and all I can say is thank god. I know this was possible before, but not without 3rd party tools / services.

A seamless cloud hosted desktop is going to be a godsend 95% of business users.

2. yoink

yoink Member

Hey, I love those guys! https://g.co/kgs/BLV785

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

For me, Pricing will be low on the weighting scale when assessing.
    I'm more interested in functionality and implementation.

I currently manage a ~300 desktop VDI deployment. (Horizon)
    Real Time audio/video is shit, even with GbE to the end users devices.
    Lots of things are 'not quiet right' when it comes to native device pass through.
    Profile fuckery on disposable desktops

There's a bunch of usability shit that really needs to be on point, for this to be viable alternative to an old school desktop deployment, or even a new-school "Modern" deployment... Let alone as a viable replacement for businesses that have already trodden the VDI path and still have a bunch of legacy apps in their environments.

I really want to throw a bunch of enterprise shitware at https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/fasttrack/microsoft-365/app-assure and see what MS Come back with.

4. ndt

ndt Member

I've been saying for the past couple of years that thin clients will make a come back.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I wouldn't be putting that shit on VDI today. PCoiP or Parsec are your only real options there today.

Windows 365 is for boring things only.

You, and everyone who used thin clients the first time around.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

That's a risk in all things.

7. elvis

Indeed. I've lost count of the number of businesses who feel running insanely outdated software with ye olde remote access solutions isn't a risk, but cloud apps are.

https://news.google.com/search?q=ransomware

That scares me so much more than an hour long O365/W365 outage.

8. power

power Member

yoink likes this.
  9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The user experience is not good, if they have to switch from their 'cloud desktop' to their 'local desktop' for Audio/Video stuff.

10. alch

alch Member

I see what you did thar. Novell! .. But whats this about the doug anthony all-stars?

(edit; Oh beaten. Harder.)

11. elvis

I don't disagree, which is why I haven't rolled out existing VDI stuff for my media and 3D clients yet. (But have gone all cloud apps for my boring spreadsheet lickers, and will be pushing them to W365 if pricing is right).

Firstly, Windows 365 is a press release right now. Let's see where it lands for video performance. Secondly, cloud desktop *will* be a reality at some point. The only question left is when.

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was the current Windows 10 desktop. But it's come a loooong way since Windows 1.0 This too, shall change, and so will cloudy things which continue to gobble more and more workloads as the hands of time tick on.

To see where it's going, I look to development leaders, not bloated corporates. Super low latency Vulkan and open audio codecs over QEmu/KVM with near-bare-metal speeds on virtualised hardware (not using legacy GPU passthrough, but rather the enhancements available in Vulkan). Parsec are doing ~10ms latency encode/decode round trips (on top of network latency) for 4K desktops.

Microsoft and VMWare are perpetually 3-5 years behind the technology leaders in these fields. But they don't sit still. "Gartner Magic Quadrant" has no idea about the bleeding edge stuff, because PHBs and suits are clueless about startups and interesting things going on. That doesn't matter though, as these things eventually trickle out to the mainstream. But for now, they give us a good expectation of where things will be in a couple of short years.

12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The raw numbers are there (We're PCOIP)
    but in practice the experience is shit.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Horse shit. The qualifier to that is whether or not their desktops are in "mainstream" support (and kept that way).

If you look at pure licensing/hw costs - sure. If you look at TCO, VDI will pull ahead.

SOE uplifts/rollouts in any real org take *years*.

Nah, thats not the case. Well resourced just means that you have iops to eat a boot/login storm. You can't really buy a SAN (or HCI) that isn't predominantly flash these days - ergo the problem is non-existent.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

My experience with IO intensive stuff and Azure hasn't been good.

Given current prices for acceptable IO, I wait with baited breath to see the prices for Win365.

NSanity likes this.
  15. NSanity

NSanity Member

Ditto.

Whether this sinks or swims comes down to price.

16. elvis

I think you're wildly out of touch with how many places don't even have AD, let alone an IT person.

There are a shitload of people who will jump at W365 (or be pushed by people like me).

Who this hurts won't be VDI vendors, but shitty MSPs who hire teams of uni grads to right-click things and charge like wounded bulls.

17. ndt

ndt Member

Back in 2008 I did IT support up north of Australia and some of our remote sites used thin clients and relied on satellite internet for the connection. We'd always get calls on cloudy days about being people unable to login due to no connection. Hopefully Windows 365 has some kind of offline profile feature.

18. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

[​IMG]

Elmf and CAPT-Irrelevant like this.
  19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

An offline accessible Windows 365 would not make it Windows 365. Might as well not go anywhere near it if the customer still considers that a risk today.

20. elvis

Threads like these remind me that in a world of 3.5 billion "computer" users who all do different things, we still struggle with the idea that there's no "one true way".

Likewise, I await with glee the media calling this a failure when "only millions" of people use it instead of "billions". (Something something Canonical/Ubuntu's 80 million customers is "a failure" because "only 1%", despite there being 3 Android phones for every Windows desktop on planet Earth, etc, etc, ad nauseam).

What a funny species we are in how we rate success and failure, and our utter cognitive inability to deal with homogeneity. "It looks different to what I know, I must throw rocks at it!".