Windows 7 Enterprise/2008 R2 Implimentation Discussion

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by scrantic, Feb 11, 2010.

1. scrantic

scrantic Member

In the middle of investigating our 2008 R2 Windows 7 Deployment and coming across some of the great features that are only available in Windows 7 Enterprise.

These are namely DirectAccess and BranchCache. Has anyone looked at or implemented these platforms? From my point doing away with regular VPN's and having greater policy control over remote clients would be a big leap forward.

Interested to hear where people are at and their thoughts on these new features?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/windows-7/features.aspx

http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-7-directaccess-features/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. 0shooter0

0shooter0 Member

About the VPN from anywhere I thought there was a little * that said you had to have IPV6 the entire way to your server.

Which how many hotspots in the world have IPv6 the entire way? any?

3. Skitza

Skitza Member

Article says you can Tunnel IPv6 over v4 if you have to. Can't see replacing current Cisco/Juniper VPN's straight away.

4. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

For an SME who haven't invested in a cisco/juniper VPN platform its a good starting point.

5. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

In the process of migrating our 4 dc's over to 2008r2 also moving exchange 07 from 2003 to server 2008r2.

Once thats done deploying win 7 via sccm07.
    Then onto our disaster recovery using equalogic san to san replication with Vmware DR.

6. RoNiNSan

RoNiNSan Member

You should should look at Exchange 2010 instead of 07, its much nicer to use.

7. rager

rager Member

Exchange 2007 is not supported on 2008 R2 yet either. Though there may be a hotfix half way through this year to add support.

8. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

I have a sysprep file for windows 7 x86 that prompts for pc name, joins domain, then deletes the sysprep.xml file.
    Also adds some local accounts etc.

If you would like a copy hit me up with a pm.

9. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

I have worked on and deployed a Windows 7 image with SCCM and configured all the options via Group Policy and Group Policy Preferences, thus leaving the "default user profile" intact. I would highly recommend this method for both Windows 7 and Windows 2008r2.

Interesting article with a recommendation for the above method for customisation here

10. one4spl

one4spl Member