[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre (Banned or Deleted)

Just noticed win 8 has had a beta build leak live, anyone tried it yet?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19366/windows_8_built_7850_leaked_internet_says_do_want/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/news/43264-leaked-windows-8-build-7850.html

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

3. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Yea, I thought about starting a thread on this. But it's worth noting that the leaked M1 build is dated September 2010, so it's essentially Windows 7 with a few tweaks. None of the recently reported changes are in there.

I'm holding off until a later build is leaked...

4. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

im not even going to bother with it at all, beta, retail or otherwise.

microsoft gave us a crappy OS in vista, we then got this wonderful Win 7 OS and i personally see no point in bothering with anything else for a long time to come.

i have collected (bought) a lot of legal win 7 products and im very happy with this OS and see no valid reason in wasting more time checking out another new one, then waste more money on that when i already spent a fortune on win 7 already.

not for me, Win 7 was a saviour, im sticking to it.

5. DeejW

DeejW Member

agreed, seems the same as win7 anyway minus a few unnecessary features.

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

yeah, and regardless if it has new features added, or some features removed, i just dont see the point when we were forced to use vista for way too long because it was released 1 year too early, or had to go back to XP.

win 7 is barely just over 15 months old from release and they want to make another one.

anyway, i guess it will be there for some to try, but i think most people wont bother in the long term.

7. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

This. It looks identical at this point with the addition of that userpic thingy at the bottom right which allows you to customise your account/desktop. Also a few of the UI elements have been changed, but that's it. I'm looking forward to M2/3 which will hopefully have the newer UI.

8. James086

James086 Member

The ribbon in Windows explorer might be good. I may get Windows 8 but at the moment I'm very happy with the way I have Windows 7 set up. Also I remember reading somewhere that DX11 is here to stay for a while so there's no real need for me to upgrade just yet. That said, "need" doesn't often come into my computer spending habits. :lol:

9. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Thank fuck I've made the switch to mac. Another windows version, another bunch of app troubles, and probably another time to open my wallet to buy new hardware.

10. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

lol and that's different on a mac how? New OS version, new hardware (only difference is you have to buy a whole new computer, not just components)...it's called progress...else we'd still be running 3.1 on a 486.

But let's not turn this into a windows/mac thread.

11. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

If anything works on 7, it'll work on 8. Just like how (almost) anything from Vista worked on 7. I don't see your point? And your wallet has already been raped by buying a mac :p

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This is no different to any other OS release. The OS team doesn't just sit around twiddling their thumbs once it's gone RTM. They pretty much get started on the next one. This is a VERY early pre-beta, early alpha release, so there is going to be LONG time before it's RTM, another 15 months at the very least. 2-3 years between OS releases isn't that short a time span considering the rapid pace IT moves at.

13. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

I'll upgrade when new Direct X releases become unsupported in WIN7

14. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

This sort of pace also keeps everyone moving. The gap between XP and Vista combined with the explosion of the market between them meant that everyone got settled into the idea of XP living for eternity, especially in the wide consumer market. So when Vista came along, it was a shock for hardware and the change-hating people that held said outdated hardware close.
    Not to mention a lot of the hardware/software was created during that time under the impression that things wouldn't change, so they didn't bother to update drivers/programs because there was so much work involved or the companies didn't exist/support their product any longer.

As such, smaller and quicker incremental updates are better for keeping people and hardware from freaking out. Not to mention revenue. :p

I'm disappointed that it supports 32-bit, though. It would be the final nail in Netburst's coffin, forcing people to move on from their ubiquitous, godforsaken P4s that I am sick of dealing with.

15. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i do understand that microsoft dont sit on their asses doing nothing just because they got win 7 right, but what i meant was that i dont see any point in people worrying about windows 8 now, just enjoy win 7 as it is.

also, i personally hope they keep supporting 32bit versions of windows, i think its great that people with older non 64bit hardware can buy windows 7 and enjoy it on their old machine just as others can use 64bit on new machines, and they have a right to do so.

i dont see what your point is, you moved to Mac and that was your choice, but whats changing hardware got to do with going to a newer version of windows.

after i got my son his iMac and my daughter Mac Mini, even i moved to Mac for a while, just to see what all the fuss was about, but could not come to terms with the change, and lack of software support for the work i do. my son uses his iMac for audio recording and all his normal everyday needs, but now has win 7 on bootcamp for gaming so he has the best of both worlds.

if i ever want another mac for myself, i will do so purely for the great build quality of the machines, but will install win 7 onto it and use windows full time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

8 Beta already? heh

Looks like all it will be is a set of tweaks to win7 imo.

Pass. I won't even bother at this stage.

7 is where it's at for me for quite a while I reckon.

17. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

You can say that 7 was a tweaked version of vista then as well :p.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You can say that, but not imo ;)

I don't think Vista was bad as such, but I hated it, and most people (yes that is not an exaggeration) disliked it immensely also.

19. HeXa

HeXa Member

/me waits for ARM version of W8 to be ported to the ATV2 :p

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Vista with all the latest updates is a lot like Windows 7 on a mainstream computer.

Windows 7 is just a slight improvement on that with the major feature being it runs better on lower end hardware.