1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks, posting from it now.

It's ok, quite a bit different than I was expecting. I thought it would be much of the same as 7, and I guess in the usual ways it is. Not sure if I like all the flicking around screens to get to things, but as usual you get used to it I guess.

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

3. Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Can anyone tell me how to disable the left side of the screen's psuedo-metro alt tab? Really pisses me off when i'm playing LoL.

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Interesting procedure:

http://windows8beta.com/2012/01/rumored-windows-8-beta-road-map-leaked

So, it will take another 4 weeks until we get the first beta version

5. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Wow, how have I missed out on Windows 8. I haven't even read anything about it and its in beta?

Anyone used it? Whats it like?

6. TaroT

TaroT Member

different...metro no likie

other than that i like a lot of the little features they have added but it is basically windows 7 sent off to pimp my OS

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

RC1 is out guys. Someone find out what's new. :thumbup:'

Edit: Maybe not...

"You'll notice that it's called "DEVELOPER PREVIEW" but go online using the WINDOWS UPDATER and run an update, and then the updated system will become a RELEASE CANDIDATE. "

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks like a fake. Release date scheduled for March?

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Doing some research, it seems you are correct! Ah well, It'll be interesting to see whether or not it will be worth the upgrade from 7 -> 8.

10. Diode

Diode Member

We all know about Windows 8 desktop...

Windows 8 server is also on the cards and it too has a metro UI. :Paranoid: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-server-screenshots--what039s-new

In other news MS says they are pushing for more installations to be Windows server core as the default, which means no GUI (or IE) is loaded thus reducing server security patches 50-70%. You will still administer the server via GUI by remote admin tools on your desktop (which you can already do these days which is nothing new). However unlike 2008 server if you need to change the role of the server and it needs a GUI you can change its role between full a server + GUI or a windows core install.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I got stung with this as well, DLed the claimed RC1 but then after it was down, someone mentioned the hash was same as the developer preview. Ah well, what's a few GB between people...

The server edition would be nice to see how it pans as a workstation OS. 2008R2 is bloody fast for workstation duties but still lacks the bits needed to be a full workstation as there are still things missing compared to the desktop variants like normal win7. Yes, I still want to play some games....

The nice part of 2008R2 Vs. Winblows 7 is the better use of all the system CPU cores. Win 7 is ok but 2008R2 was better. 3.5 second boot times were good too off a single SSD on an old ICH7R (ESB2, 2x quad-core E5345's, 4GB FB-DIMM), can't complain there.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

iPad's and iPhone's I'd agree with but I wouldn't say they're eating away at Windows machines in the business area although it will depend on the role they're being used in. Everyone in my company that has an iDevice also has a Windows 7 laptop/desktop that they use the majority of the time - taking the place that was normally held by paper diaries, note pads, newspapers, etc.

It will be hard for them to get into the big corporations with their laptops and desktops due to the usual case of the bigger the business the more instances there are of "crucial" custom software that will only work on x OS platform, y web browser or a suite of other software packages that makes up the rest of the alphabet.

Ignoring the fiddly bits of business apps, do any of the major finance apps even work on Mac currently? From what I understand, there's no native Mac client for SAP, nor is there anything for Dynamics AX. Apple's going to need to get these sort of packages working on their OS before Microsoft will need to start worrying about Windows starting to dissapear from businesses...

14. wizball

wizball Member

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can only speak from my workplace but I see apple becoming stronger as I see iphones and ipads becoming more and more prevalent. As for macs.....we have one, amongst a sea of windows pc's.

16. wizball

wizball Member

But are they actually productive tools (the iphones and ipads, not the workers)?

Most people I know who want to use Apple products can rarely provide detailed or technical reasons why and just want to use them because all the cool kids do.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well lets look at the items: (1) iphone - I think it has its uses but any phone these days will do everything an iphone does, so no, I don't think an iphone is really necessary as such, (2) ipad - well this is a luxury and I think it does certainly have some benefits - scribing meeting notes (no fixed pc necessary), ability to "office on the run" (of course mobiles can do all of this as well, but size does matter to a lot of people). At the end of the day these things are not really necessary but do provide easy ways to accomplish duties.

Getting back to windows 8, we confirmed for a March RC release?

18. mrmas

mrmas Member

AFAIK SAPs strategy for it's GUI seems to be that it's migrating everything to be web based, with a lot of the new modules released with FPM, and the majority of BI content already reported via the portal. Eventually I think the GUI will fall away leaving only the web based content which is OS independant.

That said, most clients I have worked at use windows as their prefered server OS.

19. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

Has anyone else encountered issues whilst installing the preview? My USB keyboard and mouse become unresponsive once the install screen is ready, I've tried different USB ports and PS2 devices with no luck. Legacy is enabled in the BIOS as well.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope no probs here with any usb devices. USB KBoard and mouse are fine.