[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. 300ohm

300ohm Member

I should have figured it was already created, heh. Here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnr1GwsO2D0

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

Not everyone used the win followed by typing method, many actually click the search bar which makes Win8 a real pain to begin with.

3. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Huh. this OS just shit me. Thought it would be a good upgrade for my asus eeePC (S101H upgraded to 2gb ram) due to its boot up and general snappiness performance. Turns out that shitty metro strikes again.

Due to the lowish native screen resolution (1024x600) no metro apps will work! And I literally mean none of them.

4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I had a similar issue with my Asus N10Jc, 10" Netbook with 1024x600.

Thankfully there is a registry work around to enable other resolutions. You can squeeze 1024x768 in there, but there aren't enough pixels to support it, so you get a bit of a headache using it after a while.

Works great for metro though. Apps look fine. Not sure if you'll be able to do the same thing, but here is the link that I followed. Might be worth a look around to see if you can do the same.

After a reboot, there will be two higher resolutions in the windows res options menu.

5. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Thanks Sammy, I googled the problem and found the same fix. The only thing that grinds my geasrs here is that it isnt a proper fix, and the M$ should have supported lower resolutions from the get go, seeing as win8 is very appealing for netbook users.

Once again M$ went full retard. :thumbdn:

Edit: TBH its running a LOT worse than windows 7 did on here - Im reverting :thumbdn:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Well I've just gone back to Win7 because of some driver issues with AMD causing my system to just die under Win8. I've used Win8 since release (was quite difficult to get used to and thought about giving up more than once) figured I'd give some general impressions.

- On my system, I can't see a difference in speed at all. Startup appears to be the same speed (with all similar programs installed/running in startup), programs require about the same amount of time to launch.

- Win8's solid colour theme (as well as system theme) is so much nicer than aero, makes aero look gaudy.

- Chivalry (game) appears to run better on Win7, though this may be because Catalyst 12.11 beta didn't install properly on Win8.

- Win8's language bar functionality is better than Win7 (global input method instead of per application) and also has better shortcut (win + space). I'm not even bothering installing colemak with Win7, too annoying to use.

- It is strange to go back to the start menu after using metro for so long. I do miss the right click on the metro hot corner to bring up system tools like device manager, add remove programs, cmd etc. That menu had a lot of items I used which I now have to manually type into the search bar and hit enter.

- Win7's start menu search is better than Win8's in that it will always show any search results instead of splitting them into categories.

- I don't miss metro's apps.

- Metro's ability to group shortcuts is a lot better than pinning stuff to Win7's start menu.

- I can scan individual files/folders with MSE in Win7 (can't do it without a bit of hacking in Win8)

- I miss Win8's native ISO mounter.

Overall, Win8 was worth $15 for me and I look forward to using it again once AMD sort their crap out :o

7. Chris H

Chris H Member

I just submitted a humorous support email to Microsoft asking how i can revert back to Windows 7 short of having to format and reinstall...

I wonder what their response will be???
    My last sentence was "you can keep the $15, its the cheapest lesson i've ever had" or something to that effect.

8. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Id say they wont respond, or it will be generic crap. Took me a few hrs to get used to win 8, but ok now. Start by uninstalling all the useless bloatware apps

9. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Installing windoze on my desktop PC as I type this post, Heres hoping that I manage to keep it for more than 5 minutes.

In saying that, those start shells that disable metro pretty much make it feel like windows 7 again

Edit: Does anyone know how to get multiple desktop sessions running with minimal effort? Basically the same as linux multiple desktops or macs? Seems like it has the infrastructure there (when you drag the desktop down and you have a window to place it) but the connections arent made :S

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. flabbygutz

flabbygutz Member

Needing to boot in safe mode turns upout to not be very easy. Windows 8 does it automatically, but only after several normal boot attempts. I could not have gotten to safe mode without a spare laptop and google,since my post bios screen was fubar'd.

Still, i usually have to look up rare problems anyway.

11. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

So, what if you need to use safe mode to remove malware from someone's PC?

12. brodsta

brodsta Member

Has anyone else found that web browser SOCKs proxy no longer works after upgrading?

I have sabnzbd+ and ruTorrent running on a server bound to localhost on the server. Previously in Windows 7 I would SSH in to the server with a tunnel setup on port 80, and then have one specific browser set up with a SOCKS proxy bound to localhost port 80.

This same configuration no longer works in Windows 8.. I am just told that the browser is unable to connect.

I've found lots of threads mentioning metro apps not working with proxies but I presume this is for specific apps purchased from the MS app store? I've also read that Win 8 does not come with a loopback device installed, I've ammended this however it hasn't changed anything.. :/

Anyone else had a similar experience?

*edit*

Nevermind. Seems Win8 places restrictions on port 80. Changed to a high, unused port number and all is well. :o

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. pantner

pantner Member

from
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Has anyone been experiencing relatively frequent (once every couple of hours) crashing of Chrome in desktop mode due to flash breaking itself? Using v24 which is as of now the most up-to-date.

I notice now it's about to crash when I flick between tabs, only for the tab to look like it keeps its view of content on the now-previous tab that I was on, and if I keep clicking around on tabs, the view looks like it doesn't change...

I've only seen this so far in desktop mode, not sure about metro.

15. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

My gripe was that they bring out Metro, which for the most part of the desktop world seems utterly pointless, that it would be somewhat half decent for an ePC (or other netbooks), seeing as win8 is faster etc, however, they really missed the boat in dominating the smaller form factor PC's (upgrade paths).

It just seems like they are making it hard on themselves....

16. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I upgraded my Mum's laptop from XP pro to Windows 8 Pro. It went well (after I fucked it up trying to get 64 bit Windows 8 installed), but it's stuck on 32 bit. It's not a big deal as the laptop is only a C2D with 2GB ram, but 64 bit would have been nice.

Why don't Microsoft let us chose 64 bit?

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Does the laptop have a 64bit processor?

18. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I assume the C2D is 64 bit. Hell, the old Althlon I had years ago was 64 bit.

19. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Not all of them where as far as i remember, thats the only reason why it wouldnt let you install the 64bit version.

20. mcdrewler

mcdrewler Member

I to would like to know the answer to this!