[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. kesawi

kesawi Member

It depends on whether you purchased a pre-built PC from a system builder, in which case it is tied to the motherboard, but everything else can change (Source: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=3rpl5oiOnqR):

If you build the system yourself then the situation has changed from Windows 7 with Windows 8, as it falls under the new OEM System Builder licensed for personal use (Source: Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License)

2. iinsom

iinsom Member

Well... To finish this debate about the whole OEM thing, i received my copy of 8.1 today from pccg...

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I might be forced to go to 8.1 now......after installing the latest nvidia drivers on my main rig with an older GTX580 I'm getting blue screens on shutdown. But it's intermittent. Not sure what's going on and can't be stuffed trying to problem solve it. Easiest option might be to wipe and start a fresh with 8.1.

4. iinsom

iinsom Member

LOL@Me

Apparently the receiver wasnt available (has been someone home all day) and my parcel was dropped at the post office and now not available till tomorrow...

Dafuq

5. Tomee

Tomee Member

so finally update gaming PC to win 8 but now it doesn have gadgets, how can i get a clock gadget to display on desktop?

most of the ones in the store are for live tiles... ugggghh :sick:

6. power

power Member

people don't use gadgets - no more gadgets for you! (oh and they were a security risk).

Gadgets have been discontinued

- HURRRRRRR

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

You used gadgets on a gaming PC?

8. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

You can get Windows 7 gadgets to work.

9. Tomee

Tomee Member

only used the clock gadget
    dont judge me! :p

10. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

You can use an unofficial patch to make windows 7 gadgets work, or you can use rainmeter.

11. iinsom

iinsom Member

Quick question. I have a microsoft account that i use for my xbox currently, but it wouldnt let me login to that with Windows 8.1? IS this common or do i have to create a new account to use my computer? (Ive already done this, but id rather have it tied with my xbox and xbox one when it is released for streaming and etc)

12. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

If you create a new MS account DO NOT log into 'Games' with it. Doing so will automatically create a new gamertag that you have to wait 30 days to get rid of.

I found this out the hard way, and now have to wait 3 weeks to remove the auto-created GT so I can move my existing XB tag to my MS account.

13. Habanero

Habanero Member

http://8gadgetpack.net/

Gadgets and sidebar for win8/8.1 Has the clocks. Works well with no issues in win8.

14. iinsom

iinsom Member

Im logged in now with my xbox account with my GT in it. So i guess i just got the password wrong when i initially set it up.

15. iinsom

iinsom Member

Hey guys

Is there a way to change what email i login to Skype with? I have my personal Skype i want to login with on my PC instead of the microsoft login they give me.

16. auApex

auApex Member

Hi guys,

This has probably been asked before but is there anyway to make an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1 less painful in terms of transferring my documents, settings and apps? I'd prefer to go with a fresh install on a formatted drive so guessing I'll have to re-install everything but any time saving tips or even a guide would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

17. power

power Member

Windows Easy Transfer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/transfer-files-settings-another-pc

18. auApex

auApex Member

Nice. Will either (or both) of the following work:
    1. Install Win 8 on a different SSD to my Win 7 install without overwriting the old install and then run Easy Transfer from my new Win 8 install
    2. As above but keep the PC as a dual-boot and boot into Win 7 then point the Easy Transfer at my new Win 8 install?

Easy Transfer looks to be a solution but seems more aimed at people who are changing from one computer to another rather than upgrading. Could just be that MS explain it that way so they don't confuse people...

19. power

power Member

WET is aimed at wipe and load and new PC users.

I recommend using Windows Backup to make a full backup first before doing anything to an external drive. Or simply copy all your data to an external drive.

It is not aimed at dual boot scenarios, however the "old PC" could be your Win 7 install and the "new PC" could be your new Win 8 partition.

So in summation yes you could do both 1 and 2 with WET.

20. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Just a warning: WET has been weakened in 8.1, and it is no longer capable of restoring WET files from XP/Vista (unlike 8.0). IIRC Windows 7 is still supported.

So if you're coming from XP, it might be a two-step upgrade to use WET.