1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Jayphen

Jayphen Member

I have one earlier restore point, but it doesn't work (errors out with a suggestion to disable anti-virus. I tried this with no luck).

How to you enable 'flight mode' during the boot process? Considering it doesn't ever actually boot in to Windows, I'm not sure how it would help anyway.

2. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Some devices have a hard switch for it. If it auto-downloads the new update you could just disable your internet to prevent it from doing updates again.

That said, the fact you only have one other restore point raises alarm bells. Tested your RAM & HDD? Sounds like a HW issue could be involved.

Do you have a backup? (If not, why not? ;-) )

3. Jayphen

Jayphen Member

The restore point is from after the latest patch had already downloaded, so it tries to install the patch immediately after restoring, before it boots in to Windows.

I use the computer solely for gaming, and haven't installed or uninstalled anything in months, which is probably why there are no restore points. There's nothing valuable on the machine; it's just annoying to have to do a clean install.

4. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

That's a pain. Well at least W8 installs quickly. Fresh install is not ideal though, I agree.

5. Jayphen

Jayphen Member

I'm going back to Windows 7 :upset:

6. power

power Member

the only problem with W7?

It could use an SP2.

7. Will S

Will S Member

I cant see the value in Win8 over Win7 but once you have spent the money I cant see the sense in going back. I am at ease with the layout of win 8.1 and at the moment there are only a couple if bugs that annoy me :

1/ Sleep Mode works good most of the time ( I have the power switch set to sleep mode ) but every now and then when it comes back on I cant connect to the internet. A quick reboot solves this

2/ A driver issue with graphics card (r9 290) . Had it before with older card and someone suggested upgrading drivers and it fixed the problem of when playing spider solitaire it would just sometimes go back to the desktop. Now its back again and I really dont want to try out the beta drivers

Other then these it goes ok but really cannot see an advantage over win7 . You will get use to the layout pretty quick but finding a couple of things can be annoying. If I looked harder I would find shortcuts etc for things like calculator but it was so easy with the win7 menu

8. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Your network issue will be a bad network driver. Pretty common in 8. Disabling/re-enabling the adapter will also fix it if you can find a working driver.

I think win8 has the advantage in speed & security. Hyper-V is useful too, if you use VMs.

9. damn duck

damn duck Member

Why the fuck did they remove the Backup and Restore functionality that worked so well in Windows 7?

I used to set up clients to plug in an external hard drive once a week. In Windows 7, the Backup and Restore feature would save everything in the folders I selected and all would be sweet.

This new "File History" is rubbish. You can't actually backup anything outside of your libraries (so any emails or files outside of these are lost) - but with some fiddling you can put these files into a library as a work around. Nasty.

10. FLB

FLB Member

The backup and restore is still there but hidden. In file history, bottom left corner it's hidden there called "System Image Backup"

11. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

8.1 removed the option to schedule the image backup though, which is retarded.

You can still use wbadmin & task scheduler though, IIRC. Not ideal, but good enough. Using command line adds some flexibility.

12. FLB

FLB Member

Yeah it's quite clear they intend to can it at some point entirely.

13. damn duck

damn duck Member

14. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Plus one for Cobian, I installed it for my father in law 5+ years ago for his business backups (Now he uses Dropbox)... still uses Cobian to backup his Dropbox folder incase he needs to get at quickly and can't wait for the download.

15. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Cobian is great, but it's not an imaging solution. It's the same as File History: backs up files, not your system state. You'll need a separate program to capture a full system image.

Cobian is a much better solution for file backups than the Windows one, though.

16. niloch

niloch Member

Question

I have started to get BSOD which is causing problems with Window 8.1, it could be a driver, I do not know but I am thinking of resetting the SSD and reinstalling Win 8.1, what is the best way to do this? I have a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD. any help would be appreciated!!!

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

You can get a free copy of acronis from most HDD vendors if you want to do proper drive image backups. I know off hand Intel has it and so does WD. Not sure about other vendors.

18. niloch

niloch Member

Thank you

Thank you Ryo-Saeba

19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Actually my reply wasn't directed at you sorry. Acronis is a backup restore software so it probably won't be much use for a corrupted drive doing a reinstall.

My reply was more for the discussions regarding backup that is missing from windows 8.

20. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Unfortunately it is more oriented toward migration between drives - a single, full image. Last time I tried it you couldn't schedule; and the backup was forced to full each time. In that respect it's arguably less effective than the Windows one (which is at least block-level and is incremental).

Useful in a pinch though.