[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX Member

I also must say BF3 runs really well on Windows 8, better than 7 I think.

2. Kie

Kie Member

I know it's a consumer preview, but I'm previewing an epic fail here. I doubt there will be major changes to the interface at this late stage (unless there's a massive outcry). Unfortunately what we're seeing will be very close to what we'll get, which is a shame.

3. Krinos

Krinos Member

Yeah pretty much this - as much as it shows a little that the metro interface is being shoehorned into W8 this is a critical juncture for MS, it's their best chance to get developers on board with metro apps for WoA/WP8 by offering them access to all new W8 pc sales at the same time. If they had more time or if the ipad wasn't this strong (or if android was stronger and divided the market a bit more) I think they could have afforded to release discrete versions of WP8 for phone+tablet and W8 for desktop only and follow up with convergence between W9/WP9/next gen Xbox, but as it is they need a strong presence in the tablet space right now.

Also bear in mind noone is forcing enterprise to upgrade from W7 to W8 as soon as it comes out, they still have the very good option to upgrade from XP to W7.

4. EpicPcCases

EpicPcCases (Banned or Deleted)

Make it $30 or GTFO. I only want to pay the minimal for reduced functionality and features :)

5. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Microsoft targeting October 2012 for Windows 8 launch

It's all about this: The surging tablet market. MS has to respond to this quickly or they go the way of the Dodo.

It would be the second time that they were the first in the market, but failed to amend and further develop the product in line with changing consumer demand and technology. MS had once a dominating market share for smartphone OS and for tablets, and now they are in the dust for both.

6. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

ahhaa surging tablet market

tablets are such a joke holy shit I have no idea how they caught on

7. Kie

Kie Member

People still use tablets? They're so 2011.

8. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Who cares about holy sit. :D It's about business and big money. MS profit has been going down, Appel's profit is skyrocketing, not only but partially due to the gigantic success of the iPad. It's a shame considering that MS was much earlier in the market with tablet functionality. But now, I guess most people even believe, that it was all done by Jobs.

Apple sold 3 million (!) iPad 3 just within 3 days after launch. Consumers are moving away from desktop computing.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

try ten years earlier. tablets are a stupid fad just like 3D. You can't get any real work done on them apart from banging out a email and maybe looking at a few basic websites.

Does win8 bring any new direct x or other important changes apart from the interface stuff?

10. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

New file system i think.

11. Smegger

Smegger Member

A lot of people couldn't care less about direct x or even know what it is. Tablets are becoming popular because they are incredibly handy and the tech is at a point where they're fast, light and small enough to be very portable.
    You should really try to consider that the way you use a computer is not the same as everyone else.

BTW, I like good 3D.

12. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

13. ZXR

ZXR Member

Tablets are brilliant for people who just want to check their facebook/twitter/email and to browse a few sites, while playing some little game every now and then. Previously these people would have to buy a laptop/desktop for the same functionality, while now they have it all in a much smaller and portable device.

There are far more of these casual users than there are IT professionals who actually work on their PCs.

For us users who actually work on a PC, tablets won't do what we want them to do so we will have to stick with how we've been doing things previously.

-ZXR

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

When it comes to tablets vs PCs, I generally make a simple distinction:

* Information PRODUCERS need PCs
    * Information CONSUMERS can use tablets

You'll generally find a pretty clear line in the sand within any organisation as to the sorts of users in question. I personally see it more often than not where upper level management and executives fall under the information consumer category. They want to read reports, internal bulletins, and other summary information to make high level decisions on what to do next.

It's more often than not the lower management and coal-face workers who are the ones actually working with and producing new information that require better methods of input.

In general, the more narrow the scope of the user, the more information they will produce in their narrow scope, and the more refined the tools they need. The broader the scope of the user, the more information (particularly summary information) they will consume, and the more broad the tools they will use (often just an email client, web browser and document viewer are enough).

Obviously things are different for non-business users, where many of the information producers in their day jobs go home and become information consumers sitting on their lounge reading lolcats and whatnot.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

16. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Perhaps, but share prices tend not to mean shit as far as im concerned.

Tablets will never replace PC's.
    Tablets are a supplement device that allows people to consume information easier (in some respects).

17. lazer1

lazer1 Member

I think there is an important point being overlooked. Desktop virtualisation and BYOC.

When my next replacement is due, i will BYOC. I am planning to buy a tablet and docking station wack a citrix client on it and access a more powerful virtualised desktop for work.

Don't be fooled into thinking you cannot work on a tablet computer when its configured the right way :)

18. Camm

Camm Member

This. This is what makes me so excited for Windows 8, same user experience no matter the form factor. Also take into effect remote applications and other funky shit included in Server 8... well you get the picture.

19. gamers_choice

gamers_choice Member

So I have been living in a cave and just watched the Windows 8 consumer preview. It looks like a good step forward for windows but personally they are just revamping what Apple has already done 2 years earlier. So when I was watching all the 'new' features, they didn't really blow me away because my Mac can already do all that .....

20. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Features such as?
    Not getting the "Apple has done it already" vibe from Win 8