[WIN8] Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Carbonfibre, Apr 13, 2011.

?

IS Windows 8 Hot or Not?

1. Hot

325 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Not

520 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Candy.. sweeet sweet candy!!

205 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. zeidz

zeidz Member

is it possible to disable metro in the latest release? since the registry hack doesn't work for it (isn't there to disable)

2. Will S

Will S Member

I hope Microsoft notes that thousands will hate metro and give you an option "at installation" to use classic view

not very hard for them to do

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Like they note that thousands still hate Ribbon?

You need to stop thinking you have any say in Microsoft products. They haven't listened to customer feedback for a very long time now.

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'll never now why people hate the ribbon, it's hellishly useful.

At work we're still on office 2007, using outlook/visio without the ribbon is like pulling teeth. Best UI improvement after win 7's aero imo

5. Will S

Will S Member

In the current market to be successful companies have to listen to customers feedbacks or they will go belly up.........

so unless MS starts listening they are going to slide and slide and slide and its all downhill

6. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I didnt like Ribbons when it first came out, but now that i have used it for a while its alot better than the old system.

Anything that changes the interface of an OS or program is going to have a teething period.

Unfotunately "forcing" users to get used to a new interface is the only way to move forward with innovation.

You might not like it now, but when developers and companies start bringing out metro native apps chances are you will just default to the metro interface because its easier to use.

Its easy to say "i want thing the way they used to be, because its better", but the reality is that you have been using that same interface (more or less) for more than 15 years.

Change can be hard, but you would be suprised how much thought has gone into an interface like this. And before someone say its to make it look like WP7, take a deep breath and realise that the interface DOES have the same tiles, but in a different configuration and has been optimised for both mouse and touch users on tablets.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There is no "better" with UI, just like there is no "intuitive". Computer scientists have a hard time understanding the subjectivity of design.

The point is not that one interface is better than another. The point is that Microsoft tell you which one you'll use, regardless of your preference, and offer you no real way to change that.

I'm a big fan of systems that offer alternative desktops for different users. I roll out a lot of Linux desktops as part of my job, and I see time and time again patterns of use where certain types of users will choose one desktop over another (artists vs programmers, for instance). There are always edge cases for each group too, but by and large there are very obvious patterns based on people's workflow. The point being that you can't make one desktop to satisfy every user on the planet.

(Oh, and Apple don't escape this criticism either, before anyone has a cry).

8. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Apple is the worst imo. Zero customisation, their way is the only way.

I disagree too, there are better UI's. Ones which fit a users need are 'better' than other options.

The ribbon exposes the most often accessed options in a easy to access manner, which for my uses is better. It took a bit of learning but it actually provides tangible improvements I didn't realise until I lost it at one workplace.

The aero interface allows me to quickly see what I've got open with all the grouped icons (I know a lot of people don't like this). It suits my workflow better, therefore it's 'better'.

OSX gives me the option to command tab through programs, or command ~ through windows of a program. Suits how I work and I see it as 'better' than the window management of windows.

Better can be subjective, yes, but there are intuitive interfaces. I hand my technology hating uncle my iphone and he can work out how to unlock it and call my mother whilst drunk. That's intuitive.

But like I said it's subjective, intuitive to some people is a command line, to others a polished GUI

9. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Good point.
    Horses for courses i spose.

Not allowing someone to "disable" the Metro interface might also spawn from the thought that Metro is where Windows desktop is going, and phasing it out with an OS that does both is better than giving everyone Metro ONLY and telling them to like it or lump it.

I wouldnt be suprised if the next version of Windows is Metro only, honestly.
    Or have a desktop mode that is more like an app that sits on the metro bar.

10. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

One thing MS has always done with windows releases is give you the option to use the previous GUI, if they force you to just use metro this is very much a step backwards in terms of encouraging user adoption, considering people still refuse to use aero.

11. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Yeah.

I think the adoption of the new Metro interface wont be on if you have a touch device or not, it will be the ability of developers to have an app that functions better as a metro tile than an app you just open from a desktop.

I am really looking forward to seeing what people can do, seeing as they arent limited by a small phone style device anymore.

12. Ben Ifin

Ben Ifin Member

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Boot Time

Just got Win 8 x64 Consumer Preview.

Did a fresh clean install on my Toshiba Satellite Core 2 Duo [ 2.0gig ] with 6gig Ram and 1 gig ATi Video and [ new ] 60gig Corsair Force 3 SSD

=> From turn on Cold Boot <-> moving Metro Tiles = 21 seconds

It was 11 seconds of Toshiba Hardware Booting + 10 seconds of Win 8 X64.

I *AM* very impressed. Its worth upgrading just for this feature alone.

Ben

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Windows 7 booted up pretty fast on an ssd too... Just saying

14. Will S

Will S Member

actually to quick sometimes ... the splash screens comes and goes before you can hit a key

15. abadonn

abadonn (Taking a Break)

I use a windows phone and I'm perfectly happy with the metro interface on that. Its fairly bland imo, quite bleak and unappealing a look compared to android, but its a just phone so its fine. On Windows 8 I loathe it, on 3 screens it just looks so so meh. The interface is stupid for a big multi screen PC and most of the icons (or whatever the squares might be called) look near identical, so I bypass it straight away. Where I have to deal with the standard windows 7-ish desktop with shit missing. I've tried to adapt, but the missing start button is just MS saying we're so desperate to catch up on Apples phone/tablet lead we're gonna fuck up our core PC user market to do it. I just dont get it. Did anyone anywhere actually say they found the Start button unneccessary? I get the impression that someone way up high said 'we MUST make the interface as much like the phone/tablet one as possible, regardless the cost'.

Nor am I swayed by the 'gotta embrace change or youre a noob' argument, I'm happy to embrace change, IF and only IF I benefit from it. Remove Start Button? Sure, what actual tangible benefit does it have, not a conceptual one, an actual time saving, productivity improving, noticably better improving to the computing experience benefit? Change the way I shut down or reboot? Sure, I'm happy, it WILL take less time/clicks to do and shutdown/restart faster? No? Then dont fucking change it.

Seriously, this is Windows newest Vista IMO. I cant wait for the day a customer of mine buys their first Windows 8 PC sight unseen then calls me up to ask where the start button is and why cant they find their programs and what are all these big ugly buttons on the screen.

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

17. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Well at least DVD/BR is in the Media Center upgrade, paid or otherwise. It does make some sense in that if you do use Media Center, it tends to be as whole device application (ie, HTPC), and you don't use it on a regular desktop or laptop PC.

If it actually DOES reduce the price of a Windows license then great. If not, I'll be having a good whinge to anyone who will listen. :p

18. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

jesus. really should have folders for the metroui home screen. they've basically taken all the organisation out of the start menu.

19. bazerk

bazerk Member

20. power

power Member

I imagine it will be similar to when MS did not put dvd decoders into WMC2005, OEM's will just install a decoder for customer's.

I think this is a no news story, just makes life a little harder for OEM's as usual.