Windows 98 SE Software Mega Thread - Share the software you use to get around limitations

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by n2p4u, Apr 23, 2020.

1. n2p4u

n2p4u Member

Hello Everyone,

I want to help in compiling a list of the best new software that can be run on Windows 98.

Things i am currently looking for are (if available or even possible)
    * the best modern browser that can do youtube / HTTPS
    * a program that will allow me to connect to Win7 Shares using Username and password
    * a program that will let me chat between computers on the same network, and send/share files with no internet

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've not tested it, but the K-Meleon browser project claims it supports Win98 and TLS1.2 (needed for modern HTTPS):
    http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

There are forum posts about the required libraries needed for media, but again not anything I've tested. Would love to hear of anyone getting it working.

I have used K-Meleon on very low powered Linux machines before, and it works well enough for forum browsing, GitHub downloading, etc. RAM limits are a bigger problem for newer sites that expect a machine to have 1GB+.

I would consider a Linux+Samba bridge. An RPi could work well here. It could mount up newer SMB2+ machines, and re-export them in an older NTLM/SMB1 share.

I've done similar things to get old world Macs sharing AFP via a Linux box that mounted up SMB2 shares and re-exported them via Netatalk.

[edit] Guide here:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/smb-gateway-for-retro-file-sharing.1281969/

I'd look at running a Jabber server on your LAN, and a client that supports 98:
    http://tkabber.jabber.ru/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. adz

adz Member

I seem to be able to access file shares on a 2012 R2 server with no issues from Win98. This is all from memory here, so forgive me if I miss something, you need to have Client for Microsoft Networks installed, then log into Win98 with the same username and password combo you use on the Win7 box, then you'll need to map a drive to the share. You may also need to turn Sharing Wizard (my goodness this was an awful addition to Windows) off on the Win7 box.

4. elvis

I'd be willing to help with Linux/Samba config if that's a thing people need.

Anything you can mount in Linux, you can re-export via Samba to legacy Windows. Even stuff like Google Drive or Dropbox shares should work fine.

Again, if that's a want, let me know and I'll start a thread and share progress, tools and configs.

Vanne and adz like this.
  5. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    SpudBoy and elvis like this.
  6. elvis

7. z3099528

z3099528 Member

8. z3099528

z3099528 Member

I ended up replacing my last Win 9X system with a Puppy Linux install, much smoother and more recent software. Only problem was that they removed support for via C3s, because the kernel dropped support for CPUs with no PAE x86 extension.

9. elvis

I've got this problem with my old Pentium M laptop. Lubuntu 18.04 was the last 32bit non-PAE distro that supported the hardware. 19.10 and up have dropped 32bit all together. :(

I'm considering ReactOS as a replacement now.

Vanne likes this.
  10. z3099528

z3099528 Member

11. elvis