Windows 98SE 3DMark2001 challenge

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by atmo, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeah but there aren't many people out there after these cards, I mean on German and US PC forums and Craigslist people practically give away these cards away for next to peanut change or for free.

I was running into serious storage problems 4-5 years ago with over 200 X58 motherboards, 500 + Socket 775/478/AM2/AM2+/AM3, over 2000 graphics cards (yes 2000, not a typo), a shit ton of CPU's and RAM and I needed them all gone asap.

Most was sold to a guy who opened a PC business in Tasmania, some on ebay (in fact I got a warning through ebay and Paypal advising me to upgrade to a business seller/account because the volume of stuff I was selling was too much for the basic account), some on Gumtree and shit that didn't work, didn't pass tests (damaged) I threw out for recycling.

I didn't spend a single cent on the stuff because it was all passed down to me from a computer company for testing and recycling and I took upon the opportunity to test, keep and make a buck or two out of the stuff.

2. shane41

shane41 Member

Ah I get it now....your next to nothing value stance. :shock: Still if you got it for free " good luck Shane as if :rolleyes: "
    you have to ship it over from another country. It's still a $50 video card to do that.

Mark my words getting expensive now. Not that many for sale that I can see.

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I do miss the 3 XFX 8800gtx's I sold years back. It was a nice combo with the green matching of the EVGA 780i SLi.

Going to dig up some old pics of it if I still have them somewhere on my pc or photobucket.

4. shane41

shane41 Member

Look sometimes my searches pay of handsomely. I work hard at it. It's going on 10 years for some nice 775 boards.........

So these owners will look at current pricing online & decide to sell a eg. 780i. That activity or better than expected end price = the fuel for others to sell.
    Before xmas there was a flurry of nice ones went up. The owners all deciding for an upgrade.
    I just see it man, I know when I have to shift into top gear. :Pirate:Months of these XFX Evga's sold from China $200US a pop bare boards.
    So a AU search now........ very sad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...sli&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Pair of 2x2GB DDR2 800 C5 Corsair XMS2 ram came today.

Just need to get a PSU now.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Get something big man, you'll need it. The 1000watt Enermax I'm sure is loaded hard. 2x 17amp cpu, 3x 17amp for the rest of it. Still it's clever the design......and I'm loving the tank of a thing :) Rock solid

7. OP
    OP
    atmo

atmo Member

The 7900GTX arrived and works fine, unfortunately it's a no-go in Win98SE.

It's odd that the 512mb 7950GT's work with the 82.69 driver, but the 7900GTX which was released earlier doesnt.

I think my last hope for pushing the 98SE score beyond 52k is an e7500 for it's 11x multiplier. With lots of volts I'm hoping it'll hit 4.5 before it starts glowing green and lets out the magic smoke.

8. shane41

shane41 Member

So an update.......I bought these bad boys some time ago.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1207/leadtek_winfast_px8800_ultra_leviathan/index.html

Just the gpu's......radiators were not on offer. Now as luck has it " yay " they display a pic......early days right.
    So the previous owner must have shit bananas when one of the blocks leaked. See arrow in pic.
    But the gpu's hang upside down in a case as we all know. That in effect had any water pool on top of the block,
    then to roll around the underside of the shroud. I can see that as the anodised blue shows a slight stain.

This gpu was the bottom gpu in the sli pair. Lucky right :thumbup: as I expect the water to be filthy conductive acid rain :sick:
    Maintenance that's the key. Overheating I guess why the seller got rid of them. Hehe you beauty............

[​IMG]

See my babies Matthew .......sure hope they crank in 3D2001se when I redo the blocks .......finger crossed they're OK.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. shane41

shane41 Member

Well I'm buggered on x2 screws on that block. They won't budge & will need to be drilled out. Hard basket for the moment.........

In the meantime loaded that gpu with an air cooler & new paste. Nervous start, never can tell if they will artifact till you load them.
    So in the Haswell, done an 8800 Ultra stock & then this one default too. 91100 vs 96500 Massive difference considering 94K was previous best & I'm down a multi too.

10. shane41

shane41 Member

Thread has little activity. Dust off them boards boys & get into it :tongue:

So something I have been working on with another member :Pirate: looksto be paying dividends.....remember I am rubbish on anything Win98
    so I had to work on this .... getting a stable system from the get go was never going to happen with old boards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

that's (MA)XX rated!

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Gotta love the ghetto water block mount method on the slotted Pentium cpu.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

14. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

that's awesome, not a common card to get your hands on

15. shane41

shane41 Member

Timing man amazeballs :lol: Happened to be searching them & the new ones listed. Lot of views :Paranoid: they we gonna go really fast

Got some old school water cooling cdtoaster :thumbup: thanks to a kind member. Very generous & he's up for the TOP guy award.
    I know you & Matthew will get a kick out of this, when it's fitted up to the boards. Early days, pulling down all the parts atm for a thorough clean :tired:

16. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i'm glad some of that stuff survived through the ages, can't be a lot of it left out there. couldn't have gone to a better home :thumbup:

17. shane41

shane41 Member

So an update ........ I've been very naughty as always :weirdo:

What can you use old pc parts for? Well this.

[​IMG]

The little Fury Maxx that could :rolleyes: + and then some

18. shane41

shane41 Member

Got the shits & carefully drilled the hard stuck x2 remaining screws.
    Tasty :weirdo:

[​IMG]

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nasty gunk and corrosion going on there. I have a danger den gtx260 block similar to that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  20. shane41

shane41 Member

Too far gone unfortunately Matthew, both blocks :upset:
    Would have liked to keep original. Has me considering alternatives.

Both Gpu's are champions though. Luckily previous owner caught it in time.