1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Back up

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Madengineer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ok, so i just deleted a windows back up that my computer made, because it was giving me an error there was no room left :S this was on a 1tb HDD with other stuff. After i delete it, it shows me i have 160gb of free space....Is that normal for a windows back up to be soo large? :S

2. Me_123

Me_123 Member

Anyone correct me if im wrong but i understand that the backup takes a backup of both the files and aswell creates a backup image doubling the amount of information.
    So if you are backing up a large amount of files that size would seem normal.

3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I thought it only backed up your OS :S so it would be easier then a complete reinstall......Cause i've also got like....8 games installed :D

4. Me_123

Me_123 Member

Nah it does both, as far as i can tell the backup image just enables you to restore your computer to that point...and that would be why the backup is so large :p
    One of my computers hardly had any data on it when i did a backup and it still came up as like 80GB

5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Dam.....If its gonna do a back up like that, may aswell have a Raid Array set up :|

6. Me_123

Me_123 Member

Yeh, but just found out you can actually select what you want to backup wether it be just certain folders or only a system image if that makes any difference?

7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

hmm. will have to find that. I think its a full back up.

8. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

System image backup/file backup is different from windows restore point. In system image, system drive c: will be backed up. You can also specify other drive that you want to backup. Every time it will create a full backup of whatever is in the drive. You'd need windows repair disc/installer disc to do restore.

File backup will backup specified folder/drive and it will only does full backup once. The next time the file backup run, it will only copy changes made since last backup.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't use Windows Backup, but with Acronis True Image, you can do an incremental image backup.