Windows Blue

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by elvis, Nov 29, 2012.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3693368/windows-blue-update-low-cost

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...osofts-plan-to-release-new-windows-every-year

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/1...o-release-a-new-version-of-windows-every-year

"Windows Blue" is an internal project within Microsoft around the idea of pushing a major release of Windows every 12 months.

Linux distros come out at speed, and Mac OSX has been on a 1-2 year release schedule for a while.

Now it's clear Microsoft are also playing with the idea of an ever-incremental release cycle, and likewise drop prices dramatically per release (again, like Mac OSX does).

This has interesting implications for both private/home users and corporate users. It'll be interesting to see if it goes ahead, and what it means for those slower moving customers who reject regular upgrades (working in corporates for many years, I regularly see people skip major revisions of OSes from all vendors).

2. power

power Member

I'm either way on this, I mean with OSX - 10.5 to even 10.8 is not a huge leap. They just ad some features and shuffle the chairs on the deck (hide some buttons here and some there).

I'd rather a base OS and then service packs the same way Vista and 7 were done. XP's life-cycle was too long but they got it pretty much bang on with Vista and 7 although many corporates are still dragging XP around with them.

Really regular can work for consumers but only because some people can't stand being out of date.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. tin

tin Member

Not for people doing support or training, or writing software... It was pretty safe to assume people were using XP for a good 5 years or so.

A 3 or 5 year cycle would work for most people though...

4. TomJ

TomJ Member

Seems like they want to change the buzz word from Service Packs to Major Release. As said, some OSX releases are not big jumps

5. power

power Member

not really XP is to 2K as 7 is to Vista.

∴ XP was around too long imo still.

6. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Can't say I'm surprised. They were practically giving away Windows 8, that doesn't fit with Microsoft's MO, even if it was just a ploy to get people on board with it. It's a highly unprofitable venture if they're planning a long-life product.

Technology is developing and devices are being invented and reinvented so fast that an OS (especially a unified OS across all devices) can't be built for devices that hit the market in 3 years time. Unless MS want to be consistently behind the game they need to have a faster release cycle.

The big advantage they have is the consistent foundation that this "8-series" set of operating systems has established. That means that rolling major releases on all devices is relatively straightforward from this point on. It's a pretty exciting time to be in tech. :thumbup:

7. TomJ

TomJ Member

So Windows 9 is the first thing we can expect from Project Blue, I guess as not many people are that impressed with 8. I haven't used it but they obviously have a longer term plan in place than users need to know!

XP 32-bit has been the closest to perfect OS so far, it worked with so many things for so long so why update it with anything other than the 3 Service Packs we got.

8. power

power Member

7 x64 > XP x32

9. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

Click to view full size!

sounds like they are back pedalling away from the massive fail thats is win8 :lol:

:thumbup:

10. Tabris

Tabris Member

Hah, glad I wasn't the only one to think that. Winnows Blue ought to be a hit with the bogan market.

11. TomJ

TomJ Member

yeah, NOOOWW! :p

12. power

power Member

7 hit the ground running XP took until SP2 to be good, not just usable - good.

after 2k XP felt like a busted arse pile of shit, 7 really was just awesome from day dot - something no other version of Windows has managed before.

13. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Exactly, so they had to put a stop to that quick smart and release something that compels users to upgrade and then breaks shit... W8 has already killed one of my 2TB Samsungate backup drives with that stupid 100% activity bug, SMRT errors everywhere :(

W7 x64 FTW.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Visually, no. At the back end it's radically different.

I've had to make enormous changes to my Puppet manifests managing Mac OSX as it changes each release. Things like CIFS/NFS mounts, user authentication and other things have changed dramatically 3 releases running now.

End users don't notice because their GUI dialogues all look the same, but from a back end sysadmin point of view I had to rewrite tonnes of management tools to deal with it.

15. power

power Member

I must admit, I remember going from 10.6 to 7 was a fair change from the back end but thankfully I don't have any Macs to deal with in my current role.

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Windows Blue - AKA, How can we best monetize service packs?

DLC has worked for games... Lets release Operating system updates in the same way.

17. rg144

rg144 Member

Sounds like an escape route if you ask me. Microsoft have historically had some great OS's (from Win 3.11, 98SE, 2000/XP, Win7), to some really bad ones (Windows CE, Windows ME, Vista)..

I think 8 is troublesome. it's not only very-unproductive, its also counter-intuitive (right click i.e top of the screen and you get a menu at the bottom of the screen!) and the "dual-layer" OS being Metro +desktop design leaves a sour taste in my mouth..

Bring on Windows BLue asap.

18. styluspilot

styluspilot Member

Why couldn't they do an OS on a subscription model.

something cheap like $25 per PC per year and you get guaranteed feature and security updates for X years before a full OS is released.

People pay subscription prices way higher for Anti-Virus products

If the OS major releases were actually further apart they could focus on solid releases rather than rushing to market to get some more cash like Vista seemed to be.

Surely they CAN do major upgrades in service packs without requiring a complete new OS just to get feature X like they currently make you upgrade to get new features.

Would also make it alot easier for developers as the OS major versions would be around for longer.

or just SA for Home Users basically so you know you can always get the same OS

Windows XP, Windows7 and Windows 8 all run on similar hardware specs so the live of a PC could actually be longer (sure Intel / HP / Dell etc don't like this but as requiring better hardware = more dosh for manufacturers)

thoughts?

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

As a home user I see no problem with it. Regular cheap upgrades with incremental changes make for a more dynamic and up to date system than stale releases every 5+ years.

MacOSX and Ubuntu are both lightyears ahead of Windows as a desktop experience now. The only thing keeping a huge volume of Windows users from migrating are third party applications, and that can't last forever (especially with people embracing iOS and Android development, which will very quickly get them used to developing for non-Windows platforms).

Windows itself has held back desktop computing for a long time. Killer features like WinFS continually fail to make it to market, while MacOSX and Ubuntu bring out fully featured, integrated search tools into their OSes with little effort on a fraction of the budget.

I hope this plan brings Windows forward again, and provides incentive for other operating systems to again push harder with new features.

20. rg144

rg144 Member

couldnt agree more. OS X is way ahead of Windows these days as a complete product. Ubuntu is too but with no commercial appeal yet. I really hope Microsoft sort out their sh!t otherwise they could find themselves with < 50% desktop market space within a few years, especially if windows 8 and touch really fails to take off.

They also need to get more competitive on price with Blue (although im not a fan of leasing software, that model of software distribution really sucks). Bring cost down to ~$30 or in line with OS X.