[WIN10] windows is a pos

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by everybodies, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Do smarter people and training cost more or less than just sucking up the licence costs for a tool they know how to use?

Surely you've got people in your organisation who're borderline geniuses with their specific toolset and struggle like a 3yo with a crayon with a different toolset?

Do you tell them they're not smart enough to work there?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That's going to vary company to company, tool to tool (where "tool" is both the software and the user).

Basic if/then/else statement with respect to dollars of software, retraining, re-hiring.

Yes. I don't accept incompetence. You're free to put up with it all you like, as is your employer. Not my business (literally and figuratively).

I'm fortunate enough to work for someone who doesn't put up with that crap either, and has on several occasions brute-force changed software and told staff to evolve or die. The results were amusing, and in some cases did a good job of cleaning out the dead weight.

See above. They were given an ultimatum. Some pulled their head in and learned. Some threw a tantrum and left. Either way, problem solved.

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yeah, but... it's still outlook... so... ?

Who the fuck are you talking to Elvis? Not me, that's for sure. These are my clients, not my business.

4. OP
    OP
    everybodies

everybodies Member

there are more problems with linux than you outline mate. not only getting Wow to work is 'contentious', im not sure that's a good choice of words but let's roll with it.
    it's everything else that needs to be configured, it's the only operating system that wont browse network shares without fiddling, yea, that might be an exaggeration but makes the point.
    linux is free if your time is abundant.
    i got my Red Hat certification back in the day so believe me i've spent a lot of hours looking at bash and such. it's pretty awesome for apache, mysql, sendmail etc
    even a desktop, it's not bad at all, if you google 'ubuntu broken after update' you will most likely get 3 million + hits . unfortunately.
    im pretty sure people only game in linux just so they can brag about it, it's just painful in summary.
    last time i installed Debian, cuz im hard core :) (debian is rock solid, but takes the longest to configure) it went to sleep as i was watching something off Plex server in a web browser, its been running OSX since. pretty much ready to rock after installation. screen sharing also works like magic on Macs.

Windows on the other hand, is a horrendous pile of shit. :) but this only becomes clear when you use an alternative.
    i pretty much just wanted to say that my computers sleep, all of them, it's a deal breaker for me if they don't.
    you just touch the keyboard and you're where you left it

sorry to rub that in your face pal, but thats how i roll :)

5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

There's such a thing as 'Outlook Power Users?' I always thought they were simply classed as outdated idiots locked to Exchange. Just look at the Outlook UI, take a really good look at it - It's a Gawd damn mess. I find it amazing the average Windows masses can navigate that debacle at all.

I sell Gsuite to my clients, never have a problem. Furthermore, it works just fine under Outlook.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  6. flu!d

Something that's been an issue under every OS since WannaCry and the dumping of SMB1. This comment is an utter load of crap. Drop back to kernel 4.13 and browsing network shares works perfectly. Likewise, under Windows, reenable SMB1 and browsing network shares works perfectly.

Not at all, games install and run under Steam every bit as easily as they do under Windows, even a great many Windows games run under Steam as easily as they do under Windows with more than acceptable performance. Some titles run with better performance [gasp!]

I run Kodi because Plex sucks balls and I experience none of these issues, my HTPC as well as the server purely run Linux. Perhaps configuring Debian correctly was a little too much for you? I don't even use screen sharing on Mac's, SSH all the way.

Fark, you don't want to Google search 'Windows 10 failed after update' then...

I can honestly say, I've never had an Ubuntu update fail, seen plenty of Windows 10 installs hosed by a simple update though.

7. Perko

Perko Member

flu!d likes this.
  8. elvis

I dunno. I read this:
    And wondered why the hell you put up with such mediocrity.

If you're making money from your clients, then it's your business. Although I wouldn't want to work for clients who were "thrown for a six" by GMail (the same GMail I see 10 year old kids using with zero issues).

Makes me wonder what sort of person gets out smarted by a 10 year old kid. Or how that person thinks they'll keep their job in 10 years when those 10 year olds are in the work force, and can do more for a lower wage.

Hey man, I'm 100% with you. Linux, what a steaming sack of shit am I right? Those Google, Amazon, Microsoft, eBay, IBM, HP, ILM, Pixar, Disney, Marvel, Animal Logic, etc users are a bunch of Linux-using morons wasting their time.

9. BAK

BAK Member

In a word: No.

10. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I'd love to live in your ivory tower, but not everybody can. And I have to make a living. Best of luck not reading anybodies posts.

11. elvis

There's a sea of grey between the black and white extremes of "accepting stupidity" and "living in an ivory tower".

Train people. Raise the bar. Make the world a better place. Don't put up with what is, and instead demand better. People *are* capable, but they are also lazy. Give them a bit of help, and they'll learn new things quickly.

Learning an email interface that's different to Outlook is waaaay down on the list of difficult things in life. If people can teach themselves Facebook, get a drivers license, play sports or do literally anything else new, they can learn how to use a new email suite too. It's not like they got to the age of 25 and just cognitively stopped. Learning isn't something you can only do in the first 1/3 to 1/4 of your life.

PersianImmortal and flu!d like this.
  12. flu!d

Gen Y's love Gsuite, they understand how the portability and the integration actually makes their lives easier. From an admin perspective, it's so much easier not having to back up email accounts and screw around with the installation and maintenance of Office suites.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Computers in general are tools that require management, however if you can't be bothered looking for 2 minutes to turn off sleep settings then you don't get to complain about a system doing something you didn't want it to do. Your attitude stinks of a pig headed user who isn't willing to adapt or try.

macOS is a POS in it's own right too. I'm certain some people here would have their fun stores about its use in an enterprise environment.

PersianImmortal likes this.
  14. elvis

And more to the point, any legacy technology (GSuite will be legacy one day) where the old generation who don't evolve rapidly become the costly, cumbersome minority. In IT we call this "technical debt".

This isn't limited to Outlook or email or anything. 10 years in I.T and software may as well be 100 years in any other industry. If you can't learn something new, you'll get left behind, and you'll be unemployable. And to be blunt: at some point people learned Outlook, so they can learn whatever is coming along to replace Outlook. Our brains are not limited to the capacity for one and only one email client in our entire lives.

flu!d likes this.
  15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Here's a post from Jan 9, 2008 running WoW in Linux, pretty sure 10 years later the process has E-volved not devolved with all the work that has been done with WINE and SteamOS.
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/8294099/

Windows is poo
    Linux is poo
    OSX is poo

The only common thread in your arguments is you, perhaps it is you that is poo?

16. peg

peg Member

XP was so good next to Win10. :upset:

17. flu!d

Windows 2000 Professional always sticks in my mind as one of my favs.

18. flu!d

Technical Debt...I like this term.

Agreed 100% my friend.

Deano_20802 likes this.
  19. NSanity

NSanity Member

You couldn't pay me to go back.

Every time I step onto a 2003 server (which is typically my exposure to that "version" at this point) - I die inside.

Fuck not having Powershell 5 is enough to /wrists.

ae00711 likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    everybodies

everybodies Member

actually. i did a ubuntu broken after update search after i posted, it's not 3 million hits, it's 30 million hits

i think you're missing the point. this is not to see who can pi55 further. lol

never had ubuntu fail after update? maybe you dont run update. i've had things break after update many times, bluetooth dissapearing and such.

and linux network browsing from install is total rubbish, need extra packages for such a basic function, it's a joke. then you have to fk around with screen tearing and this is just the first hour of wasting time with linux lol. - just to get the most basic functions working.

the only reason they made ubuntu and mint linux is so every noob can brag about 'im so hard core in a linux shell'. he he