1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows New OS - Vista discussion (MARK II) [Updates for Tips/Tweaks in first post]

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobber

slobber Member

Depends which XP your talking about, my tweaked version installs in 7 minutes :D

XP with all the bloat takes ages, cant remember the exact time as I only ever used it once :thumbdn:

2. Darko

Darko Member

But you stated that Vista took 40 mins. to install which is an unusually long time, should take around 20 min. untweaked.

3. slobber

slobber Member

It must be my old age as I dont recall ever saying that, even Vista fully tweaked with nearly everything (DRM :rolleyes: ) taken out (350MB iso) still takes 15min

4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Vista itself can do it. If I remember correctly it's in disk management somewhere. I did it when I had Beta 2 installed and needed a FAT32 partition to upgrade my bios.

5. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

I've got shocking video performance atm. Running the 100.65 forceware. Think <15fps in the middle of Shattrath in WoW. Rebooting to xp fixes this.

Also, Ntune for video overclocking sucks. I get a stable 600/800 on my 7950gt using coolbits in XP, Ntune is telling me my card isn't stable at stock under Vista :S

6. Darko

Darko Member

Sorry, I was refering to jlccarv's quote, but when you answered my initial post I thought it was him.

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Who wants to use Vista for up to at least a year without activating? A little bit better than the previous 3 month fix...

(I've confirmed with Agg this is fine to post)

8. Darko

Darko Member

Thanks for that MR CHILLED.
    Opened up regedit and had a bit of a look, SkipRearm can be found here in the Registry.........

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/SL

In the right hand window you'll see the SkipRearm value
    0 = still in 30 day trial period
    1 = Windows has been activated

9. FLB

FLB Member

Well if we are going to post about the unending use of skiprearm etc, we may as well post the original source!

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070315/#story1

Something interesting -

So it seems like only Ulitmate, Business, & Enterprise benefit from this (and older releases of Vista Home, Premium etc). Tho most ppl seem to have ultimate anyway... :lol:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  10. Foliage

Foliage Member

There are plenty of other more full proof cracks available, MS has plenty to worry about.

11. FLB

FLB Member

Yes, but this isn't a crack.

I'd say there would be plenty of ppl out there happy to reinstall Vista every 12 months without activating it.

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

Exactly, it may as well be a crack.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The difference being that this is a legal use of the operating system without using illegal bypass methods such as cracks. It is the difference between legal and illegal. How the end user chooses to use this method is up to them.

14. Abercrombi3

Abercrombi3 (Banned or Deleted)

i still don't get it, is the only thing u need to do, change the value to 1??

15. Foliage

Foliage Member

and both result in a user not buying windows, I don't think it really matters to ms.

16. FLB

FLB Member

If people are going to pirate software, MS have already stated they would prefer it to be their software over a competitors.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The difference is with this method they don't have a leg to stand on and there is nothing they can do about it if people want to use it in this way, as it is a documented feature/technique on the MS website itself. They will no doubt be hoping it does not achieve widespread publicity. But they aren't stupid and probably knew it would be "discovered".

18. Bert

Bert Member

Which I guess would leave the question of legality of the disc that you're installing it from..... You do need an original disc still, otherwise you're using a copied disc, which is illegal.

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well that is true, I'm sure no one will share their cd at all :Paranoid:

20. garry

garry Member

Anyone know ho to get the full defrag program from vista,the one i am getting in visa doesn't even have the graph to show how much percent it has defraged like the one in windows xp,it's just a real basic looking thing,or maybe there is a better 3rd part defrag program that is compatable with vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.