Windows OS built in Hotkey - CTRL-SHIFT-1

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by NetPlus, Jun 3, 2018.

1. NetPlus

NetPlus Member

We use dual screen with one application using 1 screen, and the other screen for everything else including the Desktop.

Application 1 requires a Macro Keyboard which sends out CTRL-SHIFT-1 (and 2, 3, 4 etc) to it. These cannot be changed.

Unfortunately Windows' Desktop OS built in hotkey for CTRL-SHIFT-1 (and 2, 3, 4) happens to be a shortcut to change the desktop icon sizes to extremely large etc. Go on, try it. Click on your desktop and press CTRL-SHIFT-1

How can I either disable these hotkeys when its on the desktop? And still have the Application 1 working with them obviously? Or if I can re-assign them to change active application window that will be even better.

Please note, these ARE NOT application hotkeys, they are Windows OS built in.

Thanks!

2. power

power Member

For this application to fail so hard is pretty impressive.

3. Yukisan

Yukisan Member

did not know of these - thanks for pointing out!

4. OP
    OP
    NetPlus

NetPlus Member

power, its not the application failing. If you read my post, it is Windows OS built in hotkey. So, anytime you're on windows default programs like the Desktop, or even File Explorer, this hotkey kicks in.

5. power

power Member

if your key combination matches something in the OS you have failed.

6. OP
    OP
    NetPlus

NetPlus Member

If that is the best answer you can give to a problem you know nothing about, YOU have failed.

MOD: Please close this thread - sadly it is getting nowhere with the slugging...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. power

power Member

the best you can probably do is a third party scripting program like auto hot key which could potentially be running all the time looking for your shortcut combination at all times and force it to do something else. but do you really want a scripting program running at all times to catch these rampant key presses that your other macros are already shooting out? I assume this is users having the window out of focus or something?

i've only ever seen people disable the windows key never anything else.

8. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

AutoKey should work for you.

https://www.autohotkey.com

9. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

ctrl alt for me on windows 10, ctrl shift did nothing

10. grrrr

grrrr Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If anyone has attempted to use the CTRL-SHIFT-1 hotkeys and wonders how to get out of it :lol: ... substituting 2, 3 or 4 reduces icon size respectively to reduced sizes.

If an application uses these (or any other standard Windows) hotkeys, it is badly designed IMHO.