1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows sticks on product key page

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Big Daddy, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

Hi all

I have just installed a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite mb, Intel I7 12700K CPU with 32gb ddr 4 ram.

When I try to install Windows from usb stick, I can select input and click on Install now, then the pc hangs on Product Key screen when I enter product key and press next.

The mouse cursor still moves, but the collecting info status bar doesn't move past 1/3.

I have tried both win 10 and win 11 on 2 different usb sticks.

What else can I do?

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

You used to be able to with the OEM/OEI windows installer, not enter a key at all on the WinSetup Oobe dialog, and just choose next, it installed the os and gave a 30 day activation period, in the os you could enter the key from the oob wizard or even from the command line.

Does the setup let you proceed next without inputting a key?

3. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

I will try.

I have installed win 10 with key on previous mb without issues.

4. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

It went past product key screen but then came up with error saying needs to restart

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

For it freeze/stall when entering a key (which leverages Ram/and the Target windows drive SYSTEM registry hive) and for it to error without entering a key. Something can't be stable then.

Can you try bios safe defaults with the least amount of memory installed and see if you get any further like that?
    Got any bios updates on the gb download page that you can apply from USB key?
    Tried 3 passes of bootable memtest?
    You can shift+f10 in windows setups WinPe environment to gain access to a command line - you can run ycruncher off a USB this way to also put load on to test stability.

6. rg144

rg144 Member

Just fyi OP, instead of 2 threads for this same issue here & here, you’ll likely get more/quicker responses posting one thread in Troubleshooting forum.. :thumbup:

qwertylesh and Big Daddy like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

Got win 11 installed. Had to install without Product key. After a lot of restates due to errors, it finally finished installing.

Funny thing though, the drivers from Gigabyte site for the particular mb did not work for wifi. I finally got some from Aorus site.

Only thing left is to get Bluetooth working, as it comes up with error can't power up.

8. jonsey

jonsey Member

Not helpful now but i had a similar issue on a new amd ryzen build. I tried several times to install and it would just error out.

To fix, i booted ubuntu off a usb, upon loading it said there was some locked data (even though during windows installation i deleted all partitions and formated then windows created its own partitions).

Anyway it worked after that (was a new drive to lol)

9. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

Does anyone know why none of the standard apps on win 11 don't work.

Calculator
    Notepad
    Paint
    Etc all have icons but none will launch. Can't find any of the standard windows apps exe files either.

10. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

The drive was a new Samsung nvme s.2 1tb drive. Windows created the partitions during install.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

probably due to the multiple errors during installation
    You need to find the root cause of the issue and fix it

12. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

I reinstalled win 11 with removing apps and keeping personal files and it finally worked. Paint won't open .jpeg files though.

13. rdokoye

rdokoye New Member

Are you sure you installed the motherboard correctly, specific components on the board not working, are signs of possible shorting.

14. OP
    OP
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

Yes everything installed correctly. Turns out it was the ram not working at 3200mhz.