1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows Store is a disaster. I cannot fix it. Help.

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by The Beast, May 23, 2020.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

With Game Pass Ultimate I have started using windows store for games (many 10s of Gbs), but have found the store incredibly frustrating. Recently it has straight up broken and I can't seem to fix it.

I'm turning to OCAU because the school of google hasn't provided anything that works.

Regular issues with the store:
    • Difficult to sort download priority.
    • Downloads would often stall even if the machine was left idling with the store open.
    • Downloads only stall in WS, everything else on my machine downloads just fine.
    • If updates stall and cannot be resumed the only choice is to keep resuming (which fails), or cancel the update WHICH COMPLETELY UNINSTALLS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!!!
    • Game downloads seem to able to controlled from both Windows Store and the Xbox (beta), but aren't always in sync. For instance, a cancelled (hung) install in one might still show as paused in the other.
    • Updates will often hang and take multiple attempts to restart, if they do at all.
    Most recently I have had updates to Gears Tactics, Gears 5, and Ori and Will of the Wisp fail. Cancelling (which in itself is broken and takes multiple attempts to accept) does eventually - as warned - completely unintall the game. Gears 5 failed at a ~1Gb update and then uninstalled the entire 81.25Gb game. What madness is this Microsoft?

This would be bad enough on it's own, but now trying to reinstall those games from scratch all stall within seconds of starting. It seems to be a weird cache issue, because when I start the download it shows the speed racing up to 200-300Mb/sec (well above my internet's actual speed of 60mbit) but quickly plummets and stalls without actually downloading anything. This is apparently a common problem, but nothing I have tried has worked.

Per google recommendations I have:
    • Re-enabled UAC
    • Logged in and out
    • Tried using a different account
    • Changed DNS
    • Run wsreset from Admin CMD prompt (countless times), and confirmed the caches are being cleared
    • Reset the app from Apps and Programs
    • Used Powershell to "reinstall" Windows Store
    I do not have peer-peer enabled for the store.
    I have a Win 10 Home install, 11 months old and otherwise running perfectly.
    60mbit down, 30mbit up. No firewalls.
    Steam, Epic, Origin etc all download similar size titles without issue.
    Other titles will download, it's just the ones that have previously bugged out during and update and then uninstalled that cannot be re-downloaded.

EDIT: Scratch that, apps download, but games won't.

Just tried to download Deliver Us The Moon (7.6Gb) to a SSD with 190Gb free and it timed out. "We couldn't connect you to the service." Error Code 0x800704C6.

EDIT Part II:

Followed this guys advice at reddit. Didn't work.
    Left Xbox app uninstalled for the rest of my fault finding as it wasn't needed.

Decided to reboot into a test Win10 (and almost completely vanilla) install I have on a 100Gb partition. Same damn problem.

Finally decided to try the VPN thing again, but this time set my region to USA. Holy shit, that worked (but is about half my normal speed).

WHAT. THE. FUCK. MICROSOFT.

To be clear, my Windows is set to Australian region, my MS user account is set to Australian region, my Xbox profile is set to Australian region, my GamePass is bought from Australian region. None of this makes sense.

Is there any chance my ISP is causing a problem (iiNet)? I can't imagine it is, because I had already tried the VPN thing with region set to Australia (Sydney) and it didn't work.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I find the store app is pretty much junk too, but your issues sound like that the app itself is broken on your PC.

3. philquad

philquad Member

4. danyell

danyell Member

I too had something completely uninstall itself when cancelling an update that was paused - The Outer Worlds

They've got to fix it. I've been giving them $4.95/month for quite a while now and I'm not sure why.

5. OP
    OP
    The Beast

The Beast Member

6. philquad

philquad Member

7. OP
    OP
    The Beast

The Beast Member

So it seems to 'working' by using a VPN and setting my region to USA. See Edit II in original post.

Not exactly a fix but a bizarre and stupid work around for a problem that shouldn't exist. It also means my download speed is about half of normal.

8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Wow, that sounds like how they time-out apple OS updates after like virtually no interruption to internet connections and then force you to start from scratch again.
    Somehow I don't see OS providers being the store merchants of the future, they don't seem to see how the internet works.

9. wwwww

wwwww Member

Do a full reinstall of Windows, then:
    - Start>Background Apps - disable Store from running in the background (only need to do this if you ever use VPNs).
    - Never be connected to a VPN while running the Store. If you're running the store while connected to a network-only VPN you will likely kill it. Sometimes your internet VPN might not provide internet access so it can kill it too. There is a bug in the way Store accesses the internet which hasn't been fixed yet.
    - It shouldn't actually allow you to access the Store if you're connected to a network-only VPN (should error 0x80131500 if you try) so this should never be a problem but if you get through somehow (e.g. by starting the Store then connecting to the VPN or by connecting to an internet VPN which loses its internet connectivity), reinstall Windows and start over. Make sure you disable Store in background apps after you reinstall Windows as Store can autodefenestrate itself in the background if you connect to a network-only VPN.
    - Sometimes Windows updates can turn the background app back on, make sure to check if after every update.

I trust this helps you to have a problem-free Store experience.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    The Beast

The Beast Member

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Just so I understand this right, if the store ever connects while you are have a VPN running (presumably via another country) it will permanently kill the store? The only solution is a full reinstall of Windows? :tired:

How does this relate to the Xbox App which can also download?

With all due respect, having to do a full Windows reinstall every time the store breaks is not a problem-free experience. :lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: Just realised that my test windows install has never had a VPN running, yet I get the same issue.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

This happened to me too and I wasn't using a VPN. Dirt Rally 2.0 attempted to update but stalled, tried to resume it multiples times without success. Restarted my computer and the xbox app and windows store acted like it wasn't installed. Attempted to re-install but it never starts downloading. Then a week or so later Forza stopped launching all together and disappeared from the installed apps list too. I ended up giving up on it and cancelling my gamepass subscription. It seems like if the download process gets interrupted in any way (loss of connection, power, fairies blowing in that direction) then it kills the whole install, absolute mess.