Windows Updates Thread - August 2019 - Patch Yo Shizzle

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by PabloEscobar, Dec 11, 2014.

1. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

This is likely to be more as a result of poor management than any technical "issue". This business has just gone through a major infrastructure change and as a result have lost their test environment (it's currently going through a rebuild but they have yet to purchase hardware).

It just appears that none of the printer drivers are "packaged" and a whole heap of legacy drivers and queues are just hanging around... :sick: As they are currently going through an OS refresh for servers 2008R2 to 2012R2, I have suggested that they just do the 2012R2 print server "properly" and use that as a test before migrating...

2. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

we almost got burned with a roll out of windows 10 laptops for staff with this printing issue, problem doesnt exist on 1511 build but does in 1607

for us even printers deployed through GP were'nt particularly reliable because of this change and another one that has a delay in gp application to make the login faster

the workaround for us is to log the machine in once and accept the install driver prompt due to crappy unpackaged drivers (fuji xerox can go suck a big one afaic)

somehow I think we'll be sticking with 1511 for a while until fx decide to release some packaged drivers

god printers and copiers give me the shits at the best of times...

3. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

well shit indeed.
    i'm going to have to completely re-assess how i do patching now.
    i have patching in place for MDT when i do new builds as well as via SCCM for existing machines, but they patch in difference fashions.

i noticed this little pearl further down the page though, which is nice.

5. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I like the Cumulative updates process when it works, Exchange 2013 has been simple to patch (apart from the CU that broke it)

If they had done this 2 years ago, when faith in MS QA still existed, I'd have sung praises to $deity that they were finally making life easier, but now I'm not convinced this is a good thing.

The first 'cumulative update' will no doubt, include all the telemetry and GWX stuff that any competent admin did not approve.

We'll need to revisit risk management strategies around windows updates each month, once it is determined what breaks, and make a decision about patching or not, as a whole.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Oh fucking christ.

The cynic in me says its a subtle push to get more people on 10, the realist says it a response to people bitching about the ~260+ updates to do to Windows 7 SP1 RTM installs.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Don't like an update - need to withhold all future updates. Who thought that was a good idea?

Yes it is convenient but all businesses have different requirements and not all updates play well, especially with printers.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

people are bitching that they are gonna get telemetrified and GWX'd

imo this is literally the least of your worries.

Things like GPO breaking, Printers breaking, RDS breaking, Outlook breaking - all take far more precedence than the absolutely minimal amount of fucks I will ever give about telemetry or GWX (which is now dead).

When you have every user in an Organisation bitching that Outlook is starting in safe mode and you are left with the option of roll back that cumulative update or tell them to get over it - telemetry isn't even a twinkle in your tinfoil hat wearing eye.

9. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

GWX might be dead, but just wait until GWXI, with no option to opt out,

All the other things that have been broken in the past are certainly an issue (especially the ones that never actually got fixed).

I'm downright scared of the first CU that comes out. Will it include all the patches that are currently 'declined' on my wsus server because they broke shit?

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Literally guaranteed.

See Windows 10 Cumulative updates.

11. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

and because they are cumulative. I can either suck it, or not patch at all.

On the plus side, I should get 12 Saturday nights back a year... so I've got that going for me.

12. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

We're also having the same issue with fuji xero printing.

They sent us this in email, but I found the same response online
    http://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/P...rivers-in-some-environments-after/td-p/194478

We've had one of their support guys on site for the last 2 days trying to sort it for us. It appears the certificate they've used to sign their drivers is RSA-1 (iirc) and that the certificate is not being honoured due to its poor level of cryptography... There was talk about "getting Japan to resign the drivers", but apparently that takes weeks. Are you just using the universal?

If anything comes of it I'll be sure to let you know. We're currently in the process of creating a workaround.

13. looktall

14. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Windows 10 has always had the cumulative updates model...

Updating to windows 10 won't resolve the issues I've got with this decision.

15. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

The user experience in regard to microsoft has gone from average to absolutely dreadful.

Customer yesterday wanted to install her office 2013 from the store, i had to type in her microsoft account details no more then 4 different times, and i was redirected around multiple websites before i finally ended up at a microsoft support forum regarding windows updates??
    what the fuck.

That was after her laptop shat itself during the windows 10 update.

This is a BRAND NEW LAPTOP, not an upgrade.

Using a microsoft pc these days is just a fucking burden, shitty UI, inconsistencies, shit being downright broken.

16. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

We've done a bit of stuffing around this week as it's been quiet, we've found that also while the driver installs in anniversary edition after accepting the prompt, the colour settings configured on the print server don't come down as they should (all our black and white queues install as colour), the only way to stop that happening is to disable the colour option in the queue settings on the server so it can't be changed

we've also looked at prepopulating the driver in the sysprepped base image which seems to work, but for the moment we're logging in after building in SCCM with a device setup user and just accepting the prompt

it seems that once you get past the prompt once, you aren't asked to install the drivers again, it's a PITA but for new builds we have to log them in once to register them in our repair management system (this is a school so using Disco ICT)

17. person

person Member

We are finding that the Windows 10 Annivesary Update breaks Native VPN connections created using CMAK - ... well they still work but when you go to connect the VPN, 100% of the time it invokes UAC elevation ... so non-local admin users can't use VPN's created using CMAK anymore :( .... searches show up nothing so it's up to me to troubleshoot what's causing this but i bet it's the routing rules. Sigh.

18. OP
    OP
    PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats the Good word on September... I've been away for a few glorious weeks and aren't really looking forward to sifting through the mailing lists in time for Patch Weekend in 4 days.

19. looktall

can't say i've seen much around about them.

having said that i don't actually go out of my way to find what issues there might be, if an issue is large enough it tends to pop up in the general talk around the traps.

20. looktall

has anyone come across a recent win7 patch that leaves the computer with a screen that says "stage 2 of 2 preparing to configure updates..." etc, but when you press ctrl-alt-del it lets you log in anyway?