1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

windows won't boot

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by alexnub, Sep 27, 2021.

1. alexnub

alexnub Member

I got a message when I turned my computer on saying that my bios has been reset(I didn't reset it). After this my windows won't even boot. Im running windows 7. I tried a startup repair and that failed. I even got my windows installer disk to do another startup repair and it said it was incompatible with my current version of windows, but that's the install disk i have always used. I have a linux duel boot on my drive and that worked perfectly, but I cant use that for gaming.I only want to format my hard drive as a last resort, but do I have any other options here to repair my current version of windows?

2. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Enter into BIOS and confirm it is looking for the drive that has windows on it first. Their is usually a boot menu with options

O-B-E-L-I-X likes this.
  3. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

How far along the boot process does it get? you get through POST and then some form of boot loader to choose between linux and windows.. then what happens?
    Do you get any error messages? ie. unable to load system disk or a BSOD?

You've said you did a start up repair, does that mean it starts loading windows and then reboots and came up with a prompt to start the repair?
    Or did you boot from the install disk and do a repair from there?

4. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

I did that but didn't get success.

5. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

When I try to boot windows it freezes and reboots. It then gives me the option to do a startup repair and it runs, but at the end it said it couldn't repair it and that I should try to do the repair from my CD.
    When I put in the windows install disk I got alot of options such as "start in safe mode" and boot install disk. I ran the install disc and got a prompt to do a startup repair from it, but it said I couldn't repair it with my current version of windows. I might just add that I bought a new motherboard last year and tried to launch a startup repair rather than reinstall windows (which I know is not reccomended), but I have had no problems until now. Now startup repair won't even work for me.

6. mareke

mareke Member

If that happened to me I'd restore an Acronis image and be back up and running in 15 minutes. That's why imaging programs are so useful. If you have another computer you could try installing the hard disk in it and doing a disk check etc. to see if you can find the cause of the problem. Failing that since reinstalling Windows as a repair doesn't work you'll probably need to format and do a new install of Windows.

7. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

On the left side of thinking, have you thought of checking your ram?

What you have described above sounds near identical to when OC memory on a system. That and checking the drive would be my next step. Unless an update or something happened possibly.

infiltraitor likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

How could I check my ram? I don't assume it is the drive as i got linux to work and i know win7 no longer does updates.

9. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

I don't have a second computer handy. Would I have to option of installing windows in a third partition if i already have a duel boot setup?

10. mareke

mareke Member

You could try and install it in the partition that Linux is on. I'm not sure whether the installer disk would allow you to install a second Windows 7 but you could give it a try. You'd then have a dual boot choice between Windows 7 and Windows 7!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  11. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/

There is a standalone setup. It boots from the USB and runs the test. Also taking the assumption that you have a spare computer etc.

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

sometimes when the bios defaults it changes the storage controller mode from achi to legacy/ide or vis versa, this can break the boot sequence, so you could try the alternate setting to see if it helps the OS boot up. as for why the cmos checksum went bad, it may be a bad cr2032 battery or worse could be a sign of a short or bad component.

infiltraitor likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

Okay wow, thanks so much.
    I changed from IDE to AHCI,
    I got a message saying BOOTMGR is missing. I then forced it to boot on my current boot drive and I successfully got into windows. I think the only thing I need to fix is the boot sequence without me having to force it to boot each time. And I think I might replace my CMOS battery as I think that had something to do with the bios resetting

qwertylesh likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

I just have one more query. My boot drive disappeared from bios when I changed over to AHCI. I can't get past the boot manager is missing prompt unless I manually select my boot drive in the boot override option. I am not sure why my drive disappeared from the boot menu though. My BIOS is Gigabyte UEFI and im sure there is an option to make my drive reappear but i have no idea how to navigate a BIOS.

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hi Alex,
    I'm glad you're making good progress

there's two parts here. If the boot selection is in the windows boot manager part, you'll need to do a bcdedit /rebuild (edit1: it's bcdedit /rebuildbcd ) from the administrative command line, this should correct the entry. You can also which windows selection it picks by default and also turn any timeout off in system properties > advanced

If the boot selection is occurring before the windows boot loader part you would need to set the boot order in the bios so that the first hard drive it tries to boot from is the one with the relevant active partition

edit2: I re-read your explanation and its the latter not the former, dont worry about bcdedit, what is happening is in the bios level, you're getting bootmgr is missing because you have more than one drive that has an active partition, so you just need to go and adjust the fixed boot order in your bios, so it always points at the drive that boots correctly, and then it'll be fine, you could choose to use diskpart later to mark the other active partition as inactive, but honestly its advanced, so if you just want the fix and not risk further breakage, just do the bold part :)

Hope that helps

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  16. Groff

Groff Member

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/...o-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/

start with step 1 while you are still in windows in IDE mode.

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

6) Shut down

7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

qwertylesh likes this.
  17. Groff

Groff Member

Also, do you have another physical drive in the system and have removed or unplugged it?
    When you install Windows and there is more than 1 drive plugged in to the system, sometimes the boot partition ends up being installed on a secondary drive instead of your C:.

Also, missing bootmgr can happen when you plug your boot drive into a different sata port.

qwertylesh likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

Hey I fixed the boot order. Now everything is working. Thank you so kuch for the help :).

qwertylesh likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

The problem I had was that when changed from IDE to AHCI, the boot order no longer displayed my drive so i couldn't boot from it. I had to go into other settings to find it and then my boot drive started displaying in my boot order again. But yeah, I im using 2 sata ports but I knew where my boot partition was.

qwertylesh likes this.
  20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

that's awesome, Im glad it's fixed. If you get a cmos checksum again you'll know where to adjust the settings if needed :leet:

Hopefully a new button cell proves to be what's needed to stem the bios from resetting again. a good indicator that the button cell was the culprit is if you had a blackout or moved the machine (unplugging from wall) and then the checksum occurred.