Windows Workstation 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by yanman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dead_man

dead_man Member

been using this for months (since 2k8 release)

for MSN use beta 9 or 7.5, as even the current messenger doesnt work for x64 xp.

found it heaps stable on both my fileserver and my desktop, only got rid of it on the desktop as the ati drivers didnt play nice in crossfire.

network is fine, was uploading at a LAN at 140mb/s in total at some points :D

am going to continue using it,

2. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

id be interested, i used 2003 as a desktop os for quite a while but that gave me the shits with some software just not working (i hate it when software detects your OS and gives up without even trying..)

so if it's a similar type thing i'll stay with XP for now (just formatted after vista carked it at a LAN party :/)

3. koopz

koopz Member

I'd just be happy to have the OS run a virt machine just to get some feedback.

and that (with a bit of effort) it can do well ;)

4. Darmok

Darmok Member

I have 4 HyperV VM's running on my 2008 box here at home - in fact, that was one of the prime reasons for installing the OS in the first place.. so I can can get near-realtime VM's to play/practice/learn on.

Plus I can bring VM servers from work home, and try out things before putting into production

I have 1 2008 box at my largest school, in production, for hosting various VM's.. Sharepoint, PrintServer, and trialling Exchange 2007

I'm running Live Messenger 8.5.1302 here... you just have to get hold of the real installer, rather than the Live Home crap that won't install it.

For the NIC driver.. I just went to Realteks' website, and got their latest Vista x64 driver... loaded fine.. I have version 6.206.502.2008 (02/05/08)

it's been 3 days with no crashes yet! touch wood with crossed fingers! ;)

RB

5. checkers

checkers Member

Which OSs are you running to get near realtime performance? I've found that only Server 2008 runs near realtime.

6. Darmok

Darmok Member

Server 2008 SP1 x64 as host OS (with some of the 'workstation' stuff switched back on)..

I've got 3 2008 VM's (1 64, and 2 32's) as well as Vista, and 2003 SP2 R2

at best, I've had 6 HyperV VM's running at the same time, and the Host OS (or rather 'parent partition') still stayed pretty responsive.

No issues at all with the Server at school.. been running HyperV RTM since it was released a couple of weeks ago, and it hasn't missed a beat. although nothing has gone 'production' on it yet.. probably convert the old Printserver over in a week or so.

RB

7. luke o

luke o Member

Been using 2008 as a workstation here for awhile. Love it. Blows Vista away and runs all the games I play nicely like TF2, and Sup comm.

It's fast, stable, and so far everything just works.

8. Boxman

Boxman Member

I had a play with it recently. It takes a while to set up correctly and install the required modules for workstation use but apart from that it is straightforward enough.

I was not happy with its application performance even after applying the optimizations. Specifically multitasking performance where I had more than one program running. For me a lean Vista x64 install performs better and is more responsive. HDD performance also seemed to be lower than Vista, i think it may have been a controller problem.

The main reason for trialling it was for increased virtualisation performance with HyperV. However the more I dug into it the less I was impressed with their implementation verses similar Enterprise VMware products. It is hard to find information (unless you have an image up and running) on what devices HyperV uses for the virtual machines. It turns out that it is much similar to VirtualPC 2007. The motherboard, NIC and graphics virtual devices are the same, though a tad more configurable. It's really only the processor and HDD that have recieved much more attention. Processor performance is now near native, clients can be 32/64bit and the virtual machine can be configured to use the physical drives of the PC. I understand virtualized hardware needs to be pretty basic to maintain broad compatibility but I wouldn't mind seeing more attention being paid to this side of things to increase performance on the VMs.

HyperV RTM is nice and clean to work with, but it's a little too sterile. It is a shame as it is so well integrated into the Host OS. I don't think it's a good enough reason to switch to using Server 2008 unless you lack alternatives. As a workstation I have found myself to be better off starting with Vista x64 as a base. HyperV is rumoured to be coming out as a standalone version installable on Vista operating systems so that only reinforces that sentiment.