1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

windows7 on a macbook pro mid-2009

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ryooma, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

hi again. some more questions if u dont mind

1. any suggestions on getting more battery life?

2. how do i simulate scrolling left/right and rotating on the touchpad?

thank you very much for the help :)

2. Hyram

Hyram Member

Go back to using OSX.

Seriously. Let OSX look after the hardware, and virtualise your Windows with VMware Fusion or Parallels.

Run the Apple Software Update to ensure you have all of the latest Boot Camp software from Apple for your machine. The Boot Camp control panel has a trackpad tab which lets you configure guestures.

3. zerassar

zerassar Member

Dual finger gestures I have read do work... But three and four finger gestures do not.

I often see OSX users recommending Fusion and Parallels... They must have a thing for paying for something they can get for free.
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/VirtualBox-4.0.8-71778-OSX.dmg

This was originally made by Sun Microsystems but now by Oracle as they bought the former and their portfolio of products.

4. Hyram

Hyram Member

The reason why Mac people recommend Fusion and Parallels over vbox is that vbox isn't as good -- Mac people have a far higher level of expectancy with the overall quality and performance of a product, and are willing to pay the premium for something that works, and works without issues. Apple and VMware worked very closely together to perfect Fusion's integration with OSX, with Apple doing the unthinkable -- changing how the kernel operates at the behest of a third party.

If you're not wanting high 3D-GPU performance, Windows running under Fusion on OSX runs better than Windows running baremetal on Apple hardware. Virtualbox is for cheapskates, tinkerers, and pirates :p

5. zerassar

zerassar Member

Gosh Apple doing anything for the benefit of others? Heaven forbid. Maybe now they will settle on one screen adapter (miniport/thunder currently) and stop changing.

I would be interested in reading more into this if you have some references? Other than wikipedia preferably lolz.

True they do have higher expectations, but this is born from over hyped marketing and in my experience the user ends up with completely separate set of issues than they would with competing products.

Back to the vm-ware topic, though even if the benchmarks are better running through fusion does that really matter to the average joe who only uses Windows for the random program he's been using since yesteryear that isn't available on OSX?

6. j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

A reason why I personally use vmware fusion is that I can take a vmware machine built on my Mac and copy it to run on vmware server on Linux / vmware workstation on the pc.

Makes software testing easier where not everyone uses OSX.