1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by digizone, Oct 25, 2013.

1. digizone

digizone Member

I've decided to switch from beer to red wine as a drink of choice as part of an overall effort to become healthier .

Coles and woollies are not the best for online specials. Dan murphies do have good options from time to time.

Are there any ocau members endorsed online wine sellers that stock from regions in the south west margret river and the mt barker as well as other established regions around oz ?

2. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Dan Murphys do have a good selection.

Evans and Tate is a good quoffer, you can get a bottle of the Gnangarra Shiraz for $10. It's a pretty decent one really.

But they do carry a fair bit of Margaret River stock.

Otherwise I can recommend Brown Hill Estate - I've bought from them over the past 9 years and they never fail to please. Good fast delivery and excellent value, it is an award winning winery so prices are a bit up there.

not sure of your taste or budget so maybe if you are just getting into wine then start off with your usual Church Bloc, Evans and Tate, Pepperjack Shiraz...see how you go. Even Devils Lair is decent now.

3. xtortion

xtortion Member

4. AzzKikr

AzzKikr Member

Assuming you're WA local, check out http://www.winecow.com.au.

Or you can call the Wineries you like and they'll happily freight you whatever you want. Some even do free Perth delivery for a case or more - ask around!

And, if you're a networking-flavoured geek, make sure you check out Juniper Estate. Some friends and I had a great time when we rolled in there a few years back and have been ordering cases ever since (I'm drinking one of theirs now)! :thumbup::thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Been there......they make a great drop.

6. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I'm giving this a massive bump, as I couldn't find another dedicated wine thread.

I've been in to wine for a while, and am on the lookout for a subscription service (as I'm currently buying too many cheap deals on ozbargain for 6-12 packs, and want to focus on quality over quantity).

I'd rather have a company select 6-12 wines a few times a year for me. However, i'm aware that a lot of these online services are garbage and just buying bulk wine to flog off in packages.

Anyone know of a reputable subscription with people that actually care about the wine they're selling?

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I’m a gold member of the wine collective, however I’m looking to jump ship. They bought out my previous supplier, My Wine Guy, but at least kept the same staff. However the person I talked to each month has just left.

They still have a good variety of wines and sometimes some absolute winners. For example they bought out the stock of an entire winery recently drank some beautifully aged wines for $25 a bottle. I guess maybe it was the gold member thing, I’d get a call early saying I should jump in and grab it because it’ll be gone soon. A lot of better pricing than what was on the website too, but also just really good advice and a good return policy (grab a 6 pack, drink one and return if you don’t like it).

Another thing to keep an eye on is the Australian frequent fliers vinomofo page (and similar wine threads). They’re good at unearthing “secret” deals.

hsvguy likes this.
  8. Radley

Radley Member

You could find a few wineries you like and subscribe to them. We have subscriptions with Jim Barry, Samuel's Gorge and Tyrrell's (and maybe another) and we probably get 4-5 dozen cases a year through this.

Saying that, I would also be interested in a subsription for random selected wines every couple of months.

hsvguy likes this.
  9. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yeah I didn't want to stick with one winery. I was hoping there was a passionate team out there somewhere doing a service rather than a money-making exercise.

10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Thanks for the tip re: AFF and Vinomofo.

11. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

I'm guessing NAKED wines comes under that heading? I get a mixed 12 case of reds twice a year and they haven't disappointed me yet. The cheap ones taste cheap and the good ones are... well, MOSTLY good. Sometimes the middling ones are great. I find it a nice selection, anyway.

Sidenote, a port they like spruiking at the moment, Jen Pfeiffer's "The Diamond" Topaque is frigging amazeballs for the price.

hsvguy likes this.
  12. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

What to do when the waiter’s friend can’t be found:
    Get a hammer, pry bar, gyprock screw, screwdriver and an extra pair of hands.
    bottle opener 1.JPG bottle opener 2.JPG
    PS, I only have an imgur account, so enjoy the stills because I'm not making a youtube account :mad:

modernshoggoth and hsvguy like this.
  13. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We're with Cellardoor and Cellarone. I think Cellardoor is only with an invite though. Cellardoor also give rewards, twice a year we get some free wine from them. Have had some lovely wines from them. You also get a birthday voucher. What I like about them is that it's free shipping and if I pick up a single bottle with the birthday voucher and pay the difference that's okay, I don't have to buy 6 or 12.

Naked wines, I think we only had once case with them. We used to get from Vinomofo but found they dropped off. Don't think we'll ever drop off from Cellardoor, they're now our go to for wines.

Just checked Cellardoor you can only access via invite which is only allowed once a year, not sure when.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  14. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yep, I've got a Cellardoor account through an invite too, though I found their RRP to be pretty inflated so far.

The AFF forum linked above has been awesome so far, managed to split a couple of cases with people in my state so don't have to buy 6/12 at a time.

15. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We normally check what we want to buy and have been happy so far. We only reach Bud level which is $400 a year but we then get a $25 birthday voucher and 2 lots of 3 bottles of wine free per year. Some of their sales are really good, I think they've got mystery mixed cases on at the moment at various price points, starting from $55 for 6 delivered. Have to say we have not had a bad bottle and the free delivery all the time is good too.

hsvguy likes this.
  16. Falkor

Falkor Member

I've ordered from vinomofo a bunch of times and always gotten decent drops.

They know how to sucker me in, they always have cases for $90-99 where there is a chance 1 of the bottles could be a grange.. i always find myself buying them haha!

hsvguy likes this.
  17. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I've been using GetWinesDirect for a number of years and have generally been happy. You just need to sit back and learn their in-house brands, which they continuously spruik as their specials, and are of dubious quality.

Other services:
    Laithwaites - run their own wine club, as well as the same thing under a heap of 'sponsored' names: Virgin, The Australian, etc

Langtons - more focused on the high end, with pricing to match

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Second vote here for Vinomofo, we have a red every week at the club after golf and most of the bottles we buy come from there. They have some great reds for pretty decent prices.

hsvguy and connico like this.
  19. connico

connico Member

Prefer a beer after around :p

I've been using Vinomofo for a while now they have a decent range and the customer service is good as well

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't mind a good drop of red and one day a guy brought along a $500 bottle for us to savour, but just between you and me I'd prefer a good cider like thatchers gold....just more thirst quenching after a game :cool: