Wings Over Illawarra 2019

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Vladdo, May 28, 2019.

1. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

The weekend of 4th & 5th May saw Australia's biggest annual airshow take off at Wings over Illawarra. Saturday was a gorgeous day with blue skies and some cloud cover but come mid afternoon however the heat haze killed a lot of distance shots and was noticeably bad. Sunday started out well with blue skies but the rain soon rolled in and we lost about 2-3 hrs over the course of the day. Thankfully with the rain and lack of temperature I got some really nice shots of some of the bigger stuff in front of the escarpment and was crystal clear.

The organisers lost anywhere in the vicinity of $500-$700k as the crowds were well down due to inclement weather and the lack of a Hornet. Still, it was an impressive weekend and Illawarra regional airport is such an awesome place to hold an airshow as there's so much to see at the HARS (Historical Aviation Restoration Society) hangars and plenty of carnival rides for the kids should you have littlies..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MickybD

MickybD Member

Amazing shots, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Were you up in the sky for some of them? I'm trying to figure out how you got some of those from the ground...

Vladdo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Thanks Micky...

Nope, on the ground.. My focal length is 1000mm so I can get close to the action.. I'm the one in the middle..

57056219_10217471621956836_460998648268849152_o.jpg

4. mtma

mtma Member

Especially liking that Avenger shot. Also was actually pretty surprised at how neat the Learjet run was.

I was there too on Saturday, quite pleasant weather but aircraft on ground mainly for my gear. Lots of people on and around the static planes though; made me appreciate the benefits of the guided tour at HARS that they run in normal time that gives you lots of space around and in the planes (although not spread out like on the airshow days).

5. FOTW

FOTW Member

Great photos, especially number 5 the framing of the plane by the clouds is spot on.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You've really nailed it with #15. The rest are fantastic also of course. Just that one stands out for me.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  7. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

You have talent. I really have to tag along one day with my stuff and learn from a master of the art.

8. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

ncsa, MR CHILLED and peterdimo like this.
  9. MickybD

MickybD Member

Super cool! Love the book. Great job!!

10. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Fantastic shots as usual. I'm happy that the RAAF are finally having another airshow in Adelaide later this year
    I see your watermark has got a lot bigger - have you found people stealing your images ?

11. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Really enjoyed this set, great work!