Winter Roadtrip in Europe

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by izequel, Nov 25, 2014.

1. izequel

izequel Member

The wife and I are in the process of planning a European holiday next Christmas. Probably leaving early December and coming back mid January.

We plan do do a short road trip (Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco and France). Followed by Christmas in Paris, NYE in London and then probably fly someone else in the new year.

I was after a little bit of advice.

Are we going to have problems driving in winter? Has anyone done it before?

Are there places that are really must sees in your opinion for winter?

Does anyone have input on the best citys for Christmas and NYE?

Thanks!

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

If you visit in winter Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco and France, you certainly should have a look a the Alps, each of the mentioned countries has a part of them. If you go by car, I would familiarize with driving on snow and ice, and driving with chains.

3. Comma

Comma Member

100% get an AWD car. We had some sketchy moments even with chains...

4. drizzy

drizzy Member

You don't need an AWD, you just need a car with winter tyres. These are not studded, mostly just a different rubber compound which is softer in cold temperatures and grips the road in snow better. The tyres should have the mountain and snowflake symbol.

Some countries mandate their use and you'll get them anyway (eg Switzerland, Austria), and in some you'll need to request it through the car hire company. I have had good experience with Hertz at Munich airport for this.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll have any problems with the roads though, they are all cleared very quickly and treated with salt. I've never had to use chains when driving to/from ski resorts in the alps so needing them when you're just driving about is bloody unlikely.

5. OP
    OP
    izequel

izequel Member

thanks! much appreciated.