1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Warmers - Cream of Mushroom Soup, Bangers'n'Mash, yours...?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by BlueRaven, May 1, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Yeah, got pretty loose that night.
    I ended up doing a favourite drunken-meal that's just a variation on bangers'n'mash already visited in this thread;
    sauteing some onion and garlic, adding most of a can of cider + dash of cider vinegar + dollop of mustard and simmering the krankys in that until saused up into a sweet onion gravy.
    Added a dash of the kimchi juice to the pan too in lieu of traditional seasoning, then I made some buttery mash and mixed the last of the kimchi through it.
    Kimchi mash is bloody awesome and should definitely be tried by everyone. :thumbup:
    Served in a loose pile on a plate and summarily devoured at some ungodly hour.

Krankysnmash.jpg

Inspired by some earlier posts and finding a jar of yellow curry paste nearing its BB in the pantry, I decided to try my hand at a highly inauthentic chicken curry.
    Chicken thighs were back to being cheaper than breast at the supermarket which was nice. Trimmed and chopped about 700gm out of 1.1kg and placed all my other mise.

Chicken curry.jpg

Kicked off by heating a couple tbsp of sunflower oil in the Big Pot and frying off the onion until it was all broken down and softening, then added the crushed garlic and fried for another minute or so.
    About 2 tbsp of curry paste mixed in and fried off for a couple more minutes, then added the chicken in batches turning frequently to seal. I squeezed in the lemon after the chicken was browned off.

Chicken curry 2.jpg

Added the stock, coconut cream, carrot and mushrooms. And at this point, things went awry.
    Regular players will notice two mistakes... I bought coconut cream instead of coconut milk, and I added way too much stock.

Chicken curry 3.jpg

So basically it went from being a curry to being a laksa-style spicy soup.
    I have followed the cardinal rule of enjoying any stew/casserole/curry/soup...
    never try eating it the day you cook it, put it in the fridge and reheat in the oven the next day for best results. It's pretty tasty. :thumbup:
    Just need to get some rice noodles, a lemon and some fresh thai basil when I defrost the large portion that I froze.

2. alch

alch Member

Counts as a winter warmer cause I spilled raw marinade on my long sleeve warmy thingo so now I have to stand near the smoker to get warm.
    Yeah the other rough 3kg is for tomorrow or the day after ;p

upload_2021-7-31_14-2-45.png upload_2021-7-31_14-2-57.png upload_2021-7-31_14-3-12.png

oh bby.

upload_2021-7-31_18-19-59.png upload_2021-7-31_18-20-9.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.
  3. alch

alch Member

The other half of the slab cooked up today.. MmmMMMMM

upload_2021-8-1_17-13-25.png upload_2021-8-1_17-13-37.png upload_2021-8-1_17-13-48.png upload_2021-8-1_17-13-58.png upload_2021-8-1_17-14-7.png upload_2021-8-1_17-14-19.png upload_2021-8-1_17-14-31.png upload_2021-8-1_17-14-41.png

4. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

You've got a style that's all your own mate, and I like it. :D
    Stick with what works eh? Thanks for sharing the pics.

alch likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Breakfast of Champions. Super easy winter brekky, scrambled eggs.
    • 3 eggs
    • dash of milk
    • splash of pepper (and salt if required)
    • 3 pieces of bread
    Mix eggs, milk and salt/pepper (optional depending on your own personal pref) well together (need to make sure all egg whites are mixed). Can also add a little grated cheese if you can be bothered, but it's quite nice.

I like tomato sauce on top, but that's up to you. One of favourite winter brekkie's I haven't had for ages so decided to have it this morning :thumbup:

20210802_075446.jpg

BlueRaven likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

And I reckon I'll be having it tomorrow, cheers. :thumbup:
    Only got 2 eggs left though, so a slightly smaller portion.
    I like a few drops of Tabasco on mine.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Arrrgh!!! I knew I forgot something :( Yep, dead right, needs a splash of Tobasco.

BlueRaven likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Scottish mate smothers his in HP.
    I like a bit of brown sauce on a B&E roll, not so much on scrambled eggs.

9. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Going to try silverside and a jar of honey mustard sauce in the slow cooker tonight. Apparently it was a viral recipe 12 months ago......

Will report back how it turns out.

Also have tried the following:

Chicken thighs, 900ml apricot nectar, 2x sachets french onion soup, 1 sliced onion. - Made a delicious apricot chicken that I served with rice (cooked in casserole dish in the oven 90 mins, lid off last half hour to thicken)

Chicken breasts, quartered potato, whole button mushroom - cover with a full box of stuffing mix. top with can of condensed cream of chicken soup mixed with sour cream. came out bloody amazing for what it was. (cooked in slow cooker - 4 hours on high).

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. kogi

kogi Member

BlueRaven likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Please do that mate, I love silverside and even though we're heading out of the cold stuff there's still plenty of opportunities to press the slow cooker into service. :thumbup:

These four/five ingredient ideas are tops, you should start a thread or something. ;)

Oh hell-to-the-yes.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/original-irish-coffee-recipe-1915164

12. icewind

icewind Member

just keep adding stuff, a whole chicken, slow cook it. Add capsicum, heapsa mushrooms, ginger paste, some chilli paste. Add some noodles when eating if you want. It'll work out, don't throw it out.

13. Jekias

Jekias Member

Hungarian Paprika Potatoes

Original recipe was taken from here http://www.chezlesmeron.com/en/Recipes/Potato-paprika---paprik-s-krumpli-
    But the website appears to be gone now

My variation is as follows

1 large pot (I use a 5L pot when i make this)

Ingredients
    • 1kg Potato (waxy is best, but any will do) - diced into cubes roughly the same size
    • 1 brown onion, chopped
    • 2 chorizo sausages, coarsely chopped up
    • 1 teaspoon caraway seed
    • 3 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
    • 1 tin diced tomato
    • 1 green capsicum, chopped roughly into chunks
    • 1 cup / 250ml cup stock (Beef)
    • Garlic (i use about 1-2 teaspoons of minced garlic)
    • Oil (I used olive oil, but anything will do)
    • Pinch of chilli flakes
    • Salt/pepper to taste

Comments/Variations
    • Use double the stock, so 500mL instead, stronger flavour
    • Use Vegetable stock instead of Beef (The beef gives a better flavour profile imo)
    • Use 2x capsicum to add more veg
    • You can skip adding the Chilli flakes

Method
    1. Medium heat add the oil and chorizo to the pot and start frying it well.
    2. After a couple minutes - add onion, garlic, caraway seed, chilli and keep mixing/frying until the onion starts to soften
    3. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in the Paprika and tin of tomatoes (this stops the paprika from burning and getting bitter)
    4. Add the potato and mix well so the potato is well covered by the mixture
    5. Pour in the stock and then top it off with tap water until the potatoes are just covered by the liquid
    6. Back on the heat, bring to the boil then reduce it to a simmer
    7. Simmer until potato is fully cooked through (15-20 mins or until soft)
    8. Add the green capsicum and keep simmering (5 mins)
    9. Add salt/pepper to taste (I don't normally add any extra salt as the stock has enough)

Final notes
    • I cook the potato until it is just starting to fall apart a little. The starchiness should mix into the liquid and help thicken it - you mostly want the potato to be in the cubes you cooked, but "frayed" at the edges.
    • Don't overcook the capiscum at the end, you want it to be firm.
    • I have frozen this successfully and then reheated in the microwave for lunches at work

Phalanx and BlueRaven like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Great recipe post, thanks for taking the time to write that out.
    I figured this thread was pretty much dead (until next season anyway) since we had a bunch of warm days in Sydney, but now we've got this east coast cold snap again...

I have a Dutch Rookwurst in the meat tray that needs using, and half a bag of potatoes.
    I think the smoked flavour of the Rookwurst could work well in this? Also sounds perfect to do in the 5L slow cooker.
    Off to Woolies for sweet paprika, caraway seed and green capsicums. Side trip to Dan's for something to enjoy with it. Will report back tomorrow. :thumbup:

Jekias likes this.
  15. Jekias

Jekias Member

I was inspired to share since I made it today :) I've been making this for the last 3 years and find it pretty easy and a relatively solid cheap meal.

Any sausage will work, when short of funds in the past, I've even used plain thin sausages. The smokey rookwurst might make for an interesting variation - might try this next time myself.
    Slow cooker could work well for it, probably easier as I'd just likely dump everything into the pot at once. Though would consider frying the sausage (more to help release the oils/fats) still.

I ended up with about 6 meals worth, this is a pic of it, which I had for dinner this evening.
    https://ibb.co/vsmcBkc

Parsely as a garnish would work well.

BlueRaven likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Thanks for the tips, yours looks delicious.
    Hope you had some bread or something for sopping up the sauce. :)

Experiment proceeding... decided to chuck it all in my big pot to simmer on the stovetop as per the recipe.
    Went a bit mental on the garlic because I like it (ended up finely chopping three cloves), also adding a bit of short-cut bacon because that needs using up too.
    Hungarian Potatoes_01.JPG

Jekias likes this.
  17. Jekias

Jekias Member

Always some bread with it to soak up the leftover sauce :)

I've done a bacon/sausage combo before and thought it worked quite well. Let me know how it goes.