Winter Wonderland

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Arch-Angel, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Quick family snap from yesterday – on the way back from Sydney.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I’ll probably edit out the green shed and keys (in her pocket) later tonight. Didn't have time for a full process - really only levels so far.
    EDIT 2: Edited out the green shed and keys :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. BuD

BuD Member

looks nice and will be better once u fix the shed ect u mention

3. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Yup...thats all it needs. Looks good.

4. sconosciuto

sconosciuto Member

Needs more snow!

I think this would work better with a longer focal length, getting the trees and the subjects closer together. For me, it seems that they're just too separated from each other for my liking.

B&W also, maybe? The colours look quite flat, but I understand that given the conditions...

5. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thanks guys - now that i've mentioned the shed it's really starting to annoy me... :(

Thanks mate, sadly no snow in sight... :(

The background perspective/compresssion was something I was really striving for with this. I shoot with a 50mm about 90% of the time, but specifically swapped over to a 70-200 for this shot... and was right on 200mm for it.

In hindsight I probably could have used a 1.4TC, but didn't have it on me.

Colours were intentional (along with levels). I was trying my hand at that faded blacks / film style that seems to be popular at the moment.
    Did another one quickly as further example (keep in mind these are pretty much happy snaps at this stage) on my Flickr account:;

[​IMG]
    Charlie by Arch-AngeI, on Flickr

6. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Always look forward to a post from Arch-Angel in the Gallery forum and this one didnt disappoint :)

7. sconosciuto

sconosciuto Member

Sweet. I guess it's just one very big path given that focal length and the lack of perspective compression.

I did a thread a while back (I thought it was the same title) but with a somewhat similar setting. The colours are very different, but that's because of the film I've been using which alludes to cooler.

Oh, and snow :D

8. matt-chops

matt-chops Member

I quite like the soft colour, I think it really makes for some beautiful, almost timeless portraits and these two are no exception. There is nothing in either of those that says "hey, this is so 2012" and in 10 or 20 years you will be able to look back on these without thinking "oh, these have dated" (aside from the fact your daughter will be 20 and you in your 50s... but lets not think about that). :D

9. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Really nice shots.

10. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

(From memory) I was around 50m from them, and the path (it was an old disused driveway from the looks of it) was maybe 250m.

I can see that the film you were using was a little cooler, but interesting to see that the colours and tones aren’t all that dissimilar. I think there might have been just a tiny bit of split toning applied to my images (think it happened when I synced the set). I usually add just a touch of gold to the highlights – I find it helps compensate for blowouts when I’m playing with contrast/levels. The second shot is probably a better example of this.

Thanks guys, kind of you to say :)
    I should probably post more, but I’m a little reluctant to put up portrait shots of paying clients here, so I end up spending more time working on my blog.

Couldn’t agree more (especially not thinking of my daughter at 20…! :upset:)
    I try not to jump on board the latest trends too quickly, or at least not for important shoots where you want to look back on something in ~20years. This current method of fading blacks et al has some merit though – anything that replicates film will surely stand the test of time?
    …maybe I should ask that question again in 10 years…

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

i like the softness in this pic. focuses on the wifey and baby :)

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Love the first picture, well done :thumbup:

Do not like the second however, won't got into detail (pm if interested in reasoning).

13. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

#1 is lovely

14. wrobel

wrobel Member

# 1 is the money.

15. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thanks again guys! :)
    I've edited #1 to remove the shed and keys from Mrs AA's pockets.

That has peaked my interest! PM in coming :D

Oh, and just as a comparison, I dug out one of my 50mm shots of the same scene.
    My wife stayed in the same spot, but I got closer to keep the framing relatively the same. This definitely isn't one of my favourite shots or anything, just posting up as per discussion on perspective/compression before. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

16. matt-chops

matt-chops Member

Storage is cheap... archive those RAWs and it really doesn't matter. If they do look dated in 10 years just reprocess and get some new prints. People will think you're the ultimate photography hipster too... shooting in the then current trends a decade early. :D